Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't put that **** back in your saw. Go buy an OEM one.
Oh btw those rings are done. The radial tension is gone.
You mean rtv? Yeah, not a good choice.

So rings are toast after pulling it apart? Or do you notice something amiss being that they are not tight on the radius? I will get new rings and an oem gasket. The Stihl ms660 gasket is about $20 but does it fit the Hyway cylinder regardless of 54 or 56mm pistons? This one is a 56mm.

That sound, that sound of your action sliding forward to full battery. That sound gives your position away. What if the intruder is packing a little bit more than a fully automated BB gun and they are locked and loaded? 🤣🤣😯
If I locked the chamber the safety was already off and you had my barrel trained on you. It's doubtful you'll hear much after that. You think I'm a stationary target 😆 at you. Be serious for once. I'm not on an assassin's hit list, are you? Most intruders don't understand their surroundings or intended to rob the property nothing more. Stalkers... they just get litup with whatever is handy at the time.

When it comes to gaskets jugs and pistons fir a STIHL I always stick with OEM. Even though I don't do my saw work. My coworkers usually do because, well. There better at it and dont charge me more than a case of beer! However, I always order the parts and they are always OEM.

You see, you must have absolutely nothing but the best spare parts for absolutely nothing but the best Power Saw!
Now if you were running a Husky? I would say don't worry about it because it wouldn't last anyway!🤷

If I locked the chamber the safety was already off and you had my barrel trained on you. It's doubtful you'll hear much after that. You think I'm a stationary target 😆 at you. Be serious for once. I'm not on an assassin's hit list, are you? Most intruders don't understand their surroundings or intended to rob the property nothing more. Stalkers... they just get litup with whatever is handy at the time.
I have a house cat.🤷

You mean rtv? Yeah, not a good choice.

So rings are toast after pulling it apart? Or do you notice something amiss being that they are not tight on the radius? I will get new rings and an oem gasket. The Stihl ms660 gasket is about $20 but does it fit the Hyway cylinder regardless of 54 or 56mm pistons? This one is a 56mm.
The factory gasket is steel and they don't blowout. Silicone is almost always a bad idea. Buy the thin 0.015 gasket. Hyway sells steel ones now. If not buy better sealers on a fresh prepped surface left to dry 48hrs. 51813 needs two days to fully cure at 50°F. I've washing in out in six hours on a cool fall day. Monster vacuum leak immediately on a fresh build. It ran fine before port work so I quit doing base gasket deletes unless it was requested for a low compression build under heavy milling use. The guy doesn't want gaskets there, fine, I use ultra grey or an equivalent about 0.003 on one side usually the case. Two days they sit.

Edit:
If you can't fit up a gasket you shouldn't be working on it regardless of the bore size. Anyone can fit up a gasket given the time and tool possibly a file or some other implement. "It don't fit" is a poor excuse.

This is how far I got on the new winch mount. Tried ro make it a but lighter and less clunky then the old one. Also shrank it down to 16" above deck height from 24". Need to figure out some more bracing but you get the general idea. Started raining around 2 so I had to clean up quick and pack it in. Which gave me some time to clean up the work bench (just a little) I have a blower and 346xp to work on from a fellow forum member.
Ooo I need to get me one of those!

Well I never thought Id see the day that Ol Yeller got bested by a Uni! Just get'n to old to hardly get around anymore.IMG_20230129_175610576_HDR.jpgI suspect she's on her last winter Im afraid. Its been a long haul for the ol girl I'll give her that!👍

Hasn't had vertical supports in years and I doubt there's an OEM nut, bolt, or washer on her! IMG_20230129_180743530.jpg

Been through several surgeries, never complained, and was STIHL always happy to see me no matter what! Who will ever replace her? 10cbf Big Bob??? Ha ha! that's a joke! His pansy a** has lived in a heated garage all his life and needed a handle splint just after seven years! Ol yeller's 8cbf lived outside for 17 years! STIHL didn't need a splint until after about 13 and that's because she got miss treated!IMG_20230129_180215261.jpgIMG_20230129_180158390.jpg

I mean look at them big O love handles on Ol Yeller and them tiny lil pecker poles on Big Bob! You gotta be kidding me? What were they thinking over there at True Temper? That dog just ain't gonna hunt!!!IMG_20230129_180618402.jpg

🤔Well, I guess it might be time to put her down I reckon!

But not befir robb'n them no flats first!!! 😉

Well I never thought Id see the day that Ol Yeller got bested by a Uni! Just get'n to old to hardly get around anymore.View attachment 1053263I suspect she's on her last winter Im afraid. Its been a long haul for the ol girl I'll give her that!👍

Hasn't had vertical supports in years and I doubt there's an OEM nut, bolt, or washer on her! View attachment 1053262

Been through several surgeries, never complained, and was STIHL always happy to see me no matter what! Who will ever replace her? 10cbf Big Bob??? Ha ha! that's a joke! His pansy a** has lived in a heated garage all his life and needed a handle split just after seven years! Ol yeller's 8cbf lived outside for 17 years! STIHL didn't need a split until after about 13 and that's because she got miss treated!View attachment 1053260View attachment 1053259

I mean look at them big O love handles on Ol Yeller and them tiny lil pecker poles on Big Bob! You gotta be kidding me? What were they thinking over there at True Temper? That dog just ain't gonna hunt!!!View attachment 1053261

🤔Well, I guess it might be time to put her down I reckon!

But not without robb'n them no flats first!!! 😉
Love the zippy surgical scars, lol

The factory gasket is steel and they don't blowout. Silicone is almost always a bad idea. Buy the thin 0.015 gasket. Hyway sells steel ones now. If not buy better sealers on a fresh prepped surface left to dry 48hrs. 51813 needs two days to fully cure at 50°F. I've washing in out in six hours on a cool fall day. Monster vacuum leak immediately on a fresh build. It ran fine before port work so I quit doing base gasket deletes unless it was requested for a low compression build under heavy milling use. The guy doesn't want gaskets there, fine, I use ultra grey or an equivalent about 0.003 on one side usually the case. Two days they sit.

Edit:
If you can't fit up a gasket you shouldn't be working on it regardless of the bore size. Anyone can fit up a gasket given the time and tool possibly a file or some other implement. "It don't fit" is a poor excuse.
I’ll grab the Stihl oem one. I can’t find the hyway one but if you have a link I would try it as an extra for the new saw as I expect the same issue.

May I recommend a headache rack? Don't ask me why I think they are a good idea. Let's just say I know how to get windows out of trucks in bone yards and install them in trucks with missing rear windows.
I second this! I won't own a truck without one.
Speaking from experience. Even one built out of 2x4's works 100%, better than nothing!

Back