Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back 55+ years my uncle, an arachnophobia sufferer and most likely with a beer in hand, used a 12 gauge to kill a spider on his boat dock. The "rat hole" left behind in the dock served as a permanent reminder.😉
I shot a tarantula off the deck while we were down there with a 454 casual for for giggles. No alcohol involved.

FAC9472D-764B-4A3B-A214-9EBA264293BD.jpegLong day today working on my 81 blazer.

Lost all the emission crap, air pump, charcoal canister, yada yada and swapped the constantly flooding quadrajet with a fully manual Edelbrock 1902.

I’ve thought this truck had a 305 in it the whole time I’ve owned it since that’s why the fellow I got it from told me, bust was pleasantly surprised today to learn it’s a 4 bolt 350.

Anyway. Got the new carb on and man that truck runs good….in first and 2nd gear. For some reason it’s not shifting to 3rd. I have the vacuum model on the tranny run straight to intake manifold vacuum port, so I really don’t know why it’s not shifting. Figure it out tomorrow I guess.

FAC9472D-764B-4A3B-A214-9EBA264293BD.jpeg

I see that Midway USA lists "coming soon" Winchester 348 ammo for $60/box of 20. That compares to the "unavailable" Hornady at $103/box of 20.

All of the bullet heads for reloading are also listed as "unavailable" and start at $60/50 if they did have them!

Glad I'm building the 338-06, I think my 348 will see a lot less action at the range. I spoke with my gunsmith today and he is hoping to get to it by next weekend. Fingers crossed!
I wouldn’t touch Winchester ammo with a 10’ pole, especially anything that’s a limited run like that.

It has been my understanding that only the line speed is affected by the # of wraps. Pulling power remains the same. I’ve used the hell out of mine under some extreme conditions for a lot of years and have never noticed a change in power.
You haven't loaded it hard enough for it to matter in that case, or have well over needed capacity. It's a fact you loose pulling power every wrap. How much has many different factors. None of our winches here at work have more then one wrap for this very reason. Same reason why full wrap winch draws the most amperage. You just gears it up like crazy with that full spool.

I brought up previously about welding a brace to the side of the tongue. Forgive the lousy pic, I can't draw.
View attachment 1054224
I don't know what those black bars bolted to each side are for. Bracing may get in the way. Plus lot of funny angles to mess with. Might be easier as you said, to just redo the jack.
The black bars are for the load leveling hitch, and thats a big not gonna work with how the lines are drawn. I mocked up a few different versions of bars going front, o settled on a single center bar as the best compromise without having to cut the jack apart. Well see this weekend how it works.

On a winch (perhaps the decrease in power was overstated), but it is simple physics, the larger the spool diameter the faster it will pull, but the less torque it will have. It is just like if you put a larger sprocket on your saw.
10-15% per layer is lost. More depending on the type of winch.
https://www.warn.com/warn-winch-performance-specifications-pulling-capacity-by-layer

You haven't loaded it hard enough for it to matter in that case, or have well over needed capacity. It's a fact you loose pulling power every wrap. How much has many different factors. None of our winches here at work have more then one wrap for this very reason. Same reason why full wrap winch draws the most amperage. You just gears it up like crazy with that full spool.

The black bars are for the load leveling hitch, and thats a big not gonna work with how the lines are drawn. I mocked up a few different versions of bars going front, o settled on a single center bar as the best compromise without having to cut the jack apart. Well see this weekend how it works.

10-15% per layer is lost. More depending on the type of winch.
https://www.warn.com/warn-winch-performance-specifications-pulling-capacity-by-layer
Put a Warn Zeon S10 on my Toyota been great , synthetic rope is a game changer over the old steel cable.👍3288F9FD-C65E-4F54-B48A-7F3C3612B6BA.jpeg

I would do one of those each side and use at least .187 sq or rec tube, 1.25 or 1.5”. I like overkill 😁

just saw the other pics. What kind of load do you anticipate? As is should hold a few thousand #
Everything on it is currently 1/4 walled minimum the 2x3" uprights are 3/8 walled. I'm not worried about it ripping off, im.more worried about it torqueing the 8" c channel the 2x3 is welded to. Kickers are going to be a very last resort I can't articulate how little room there is on this tongue. That and I'd still like to fit a little tool (junk) box and possibly 2 group 30 batteries, but that is most likely a pipe dream and I'll just run it off the truck.
Load, we'll that's subjective. Last time I drug logs on I had the old 12k winch doubled over to get 20 foot sections of white oak averaging 30" dbh moving and up the ramps. Rolling resistance is a lot easier to pull, and im hoping to get a log arch made this spring /early summer so I don't have to skid logs up ramps. Which I'd argue (ramps are really short too.) Is about the hardest thing in the winch with big logs. The smaller ones come up and on pretty easy.

Put a Warn Zeon S10 on my Toyota been great , synthetic rope is a game changer over the old steel cable.👍View attachment 1054300
100% agree with that. Since a pretty bad accident 4-wheeling many years ago, I've exclusively ran synthetic rope on all my winches. Cable stores a tremendous amount of energy and when it snaps it can get very ugly.

In folks' minds... 100s if not 1000s are murdered every year mistaken for copperheads!
I may be guilty of this. I like having snakes around because because I don't mind them and I have a serious mouse problem, even venomous ones if they don't hinder my work or cause a safety problem.
Back when this happened I was never able to identify this baby snake. To me the head looked triangle shaped and I thought it was a copperhead. I was rebuilding the water pump on my backhoe and kneeling down close to the tracks on the loader. There was a movement and I saw this snake sitting on the tracks. Baby rat or copperhead?

P9290038.JPG

P9210003.JPG

Rats I think.
P5150004.JPG

P5240004.JPG

Best way to keep rope up Is messy on the spool so it doesn't do the dive through the wraps. Not that its an issue to get it untangled. Never had any freeze up to the point they couldn't be unwound. Doesn't get as cold around here as other places. all the winches I ever had are out in the open weather, save for the one I had on my old f-150 I kept a cover on, unless I suspected I would be using it. Never seemed to make a difference covered or uncovered.

In theory, yes…in practice, not so much. Remember, during a pull the line sucks into the rest of the spooled line, especially under a full load.
Unless you are sucking that wire rope all the way to the bottom of the drum EVERY wrap, it's affecting the pulling power of the winch. Perhaps your winch has enough power that you just didn't notice it, but it's still there.

SR

Put a Warn Zeon S10 on my Toyota been great , synthetic rope is a game changer over the old steel cable.👍View attachment 1054300
I was looking into synthetic rope for the trailer winch decided against it and left the wire rope . My reasoning is it gets to much abrasion for my use. I've buggered up a couple of wire ropes so far

I was looking into synthetic rope for the trailer winch decided against it and left the wire rope . My reasoning is it gets to much abrasion for my use. I've buggered up a couple of white ropes so far
Also, over time the sun weakens synthetic rope, but the big deal is abrasion!

SR

First time I ever had a close encounter with a snake (Remember, I grew up in alaska) was with a copperhead down in Texas. Found him while mowing the lawn and got brave and ran him over with the push mower. Well that didn't work and he came out the back side striking. Went up to the house and grabbed my Mossberg 930JM and went back out and took his head clean off with a well placed round of #8 birdshot at about 10 feet. Well he started doing death throws, and I emptied all 9 rounds of 12ga into that thing leaving little more than a red spot on the ground.
:surprised3:
one story out of millions... i don''t have millions, but da*n sure close enuff! we get so many copperheads down here... i just use them as nightcrawlers when time to go fishing....

one early evening middle of summer i nailed 4 of them within 20 mins.! must have been at a fishing conference.... here is one of the attendees....
zch.jpg
thems and black widows! :nofunny:

👎

Some people scream that everything w/o rattles is a Copperhead, even Garter Snakes!

I came across a Garter Snake that got trapped in the fertilized netting they use to grow new grass along the bike path. He tried to crawl through it and his scales got trapped like a fish in a gill net. I grabbed the snake and pulled out my knife but luckily a young couple stopped to help me as I needed 3 or 4 hands to hold the snake, the netting and the knife. We were able to cut it free and let it go unharmed, but if we had not stopped by it would have died a long slow death, it was not getting free.
up along the county line one learns real fast the dif.... at night around the ranch i go on snake safari. copperheads! tactical light in hand and ON... and at the ready and in my other hand...mr Brutus (II) a long-handle shovel. once spotted, the night is over. i hang them on fence as the owls love them. in they swoop... and off it goes. i rarely get to see it, though...

Latest posts

Back