Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a thumb that I built for my old Mustang . It is mounted to a standard quick change plate I built out of the original Mustang one.The thumb can be used with all of my buckets or solo as a lifting jib . I like it best with a tree spade . I have a heavy grapple bucket but this is so much lighter so I have more capacity. I used an old fork I had, it has great spring action on the clamping. It all comes off with two pins or also I made a parking bracket to hold it back out of the way when desired .
nice drill press! ...or maybe it is a small bench drill mill.

Uhhhhh? 🤔 Yeah! Sounds good!👍
KK: We have neither in AK. However, I've definitely seen my share of both living down south while in the Service!

prob army, my guess... or coast guard.

one would never hear a Marine ever says.... while i was in the service!! :rolleyes:
:laughing:

'ooh-rah!'
:givebeer:

He's close he's into January now. What a great guy, taking time to read all our posts :surprised3: :numberone: curious to hear his thoughts on the skidders vs tractor debate going on a week ago
someone else is close to catching up, too... so it seems. i got a 🤣 this morning from a xmas post!

Any of you guys heard of these guys and their cured hams?View attachment 1054165
no - but pork was on sale other day at the grocery. $1.77/#. got me a pack! 👍 one of my fav bbq joints is close to $30 ea for a trimmed rack of ribs! i paid $9.75 for about twice their fare.... 🤩

I wonder how your bracing will hold up. Seems opposite to what it should be. Too bad you couldn't rotate the tongue jack 90 deg so the crank was in front, but I know you said it was welded in well and you didn't want to have to mess with it. If you need additional bracing, could you weld it to the outside frame of the tongue?
hope he won't have to... hate to see him mess up the slick paint job! :cool:

Nope, I don't buy hams..... ;)
Never heard of that company, but it makes me hungry....
My daughter has a home cured ham in the oven right now..... smells wicked good!
That's the best part of farming right there....
Nope, I am not too big on ham! other than for ham n eggs! 👍

but bacon?? OMG!....

poppers in the reduced section other day at grocery. i bot them all! 4 pks. i could live on these things!!!! pretty sure they are very healthy... and u can be sure ideal with some cold :givebeer:
P1010007.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010004.JPG

I brought up previously about welding a brace to the side of the tongue. Forgive the lousy pic, I can't draw.
View attachment 1054224
I don't know what those black bars bolted to each side are for. Bracing may get in the way. Plus lot of funny angles to mess with. Might be easier as you said, to just redo the jack.
no doubt stout! my bet is he won't need any more bracing! unless he moves up to AK and starts hauling some logs that the kid more so just thinks of as kindling! ;)

. WA: I have built a lot of them and every single person I built for told me they wished they had gone bigger before I even finished.
You should have built mine, then you wouldn't be able to say that ;).
.those are amazing stats! every one??
.i don't need to say wish i had built bigger, my barn is 7,000 sq ft! 🤩

View attachment 1054285Long day today working on my 81 blazer.

Lost all the emission crap, air pump, charcoal canister, yada yada and swapped the constantly flooding quadrajet with a fully manual Edelbrock 1902.

I’ve thought this truck had a 305 in it the whole time I’ve owned it since that’s why the fellow I got it from told me, bust was pleasantly surprised today to learn it’s a 4 bolt 350.

Anyway. Got the new carb on and man that truck runs good….in first and 2nd gear. For some reason it’s not shifting to 3rd. I have the vacuum model on the tranny run straight to intake manifold vacuum port, so I really don’t know why it’s not shifting. Figure it out tomorrow I guess.

View attachment 1054285
curious - how did u find out it is a 4-bolt main, 350?

100% agree with that. Since a pretty bad accident 4-wheeling many years ago, I've exclusively ran synthetic rope on all my winches. Cable stores a tremendous amount of energy and when it snaps it can get very ugly.
:yes: deck hands on a carrier know that for sure! ~

I may be guilty of this. I like having snakes around because because I don't mind them and I have a serious mouse problem, even venomous ones if they don't hinder my work or cause a safety problem.
Back when this happened I was never able to identify this baby snake. To me the head looked triangle shaped and I thought it was a copperhead. I was rebuilding the water pump on my backhoe and kneeling down close to the tracks on the loader. There was a movement and I saw this snake sitting on the tracks. Baby rat or copperhead?

View attachment 1054304

View attachment 1054305

Rats I think.
View attachment 1054306

View attachment 1054307
rat! i had one climb barn wall, too. omg

for sure, not a copperhead! don't ask me how i know....

Back