Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could only explain to people who don't get it, just how much money it takes to save a few bucks lol.
My cousin asked, "Don't you reload to save money?" I said, "No, I reload so I can shoot more and become a better shot, for less". He said, "Isn't that reloading to save money?" I said, "Well, for me, yes. But it won't work for you. He asked, "Why" I said, "you buy one box of shells every five years whether you need them or not. Reloading four rounds a year, you will probably die before you pay for your reloading stuff."

That's where all the stories come from, you know the one's our dads told us about walking to school :laughing:.
I had to walk to the bus stop. We lived on a road that backed up to big farms. Our lots were 2 to 5 acres, so I probably walked, maybe a 1/4 mile. For my kids, the bus parked on my court, so my kids had to walk from the front door to the bus. Maybe 150 feet. They had the longest walk of any kid in the neighborhood. All the mom's drove the kids to our court and jammed my drive way up so I couldn't leave till they all left. Some of the kids had it real rough, their mom's had Suburban's and they had to walk 4 feet farther than the mom's in Tahoe's.

Had a nice day in the 20's. Ground frozen most places. Not many pic's as it was to cold to take off the gloves. Only had the 261 with me but found this dead standing white oak. Brought the 400 for subsequent buckets.
View attachment 1054782
That WAS a sawlog....dang firewood hacks.... 🤣

Ya a once in a lifetime arctic blast ... seems every storm is a once in a lifetime event
What are they going to call it Monday when the temps are in the 50's. I've been waiting for this global warming thing since Gore was in office. I figure when the ocean takes NY and DC, my property in WV will be Beach Front, with Off Shore fishing at the end of my driveway.

HV beach front property!
What are they going to call it Monday when the temps are in the 50's. I've been waiting for this global warming thing since Gore was in office. I figure when the ocean takes NY and DC, my property in WV will be Beach Front, with Off Shore fishing at the end of my driveway.

Some wood related stuff from our day.

We went through a bunch of cedar, and cut all the low grade stuff to 53" long for cants.
IMG_20230203_101942.jpg

IMG_20230203_101930.jpg

Like that.....
IMG_20230203_173649.jpg

We cut that stack in about 4 hours.
4.25" x anything from 1" to 12"

They will be sold to a local mill that makes the 1/4" t&g closet liner material they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
IMG_20230203_173656.jpg

Some wood related stuff from our day.

We went through a bunch of cedar, and cut all the low grade stuff to 53" long for cants.
View attachment 1054805

View attachment 1054807

Like that.....
View attachment 1054812

We cut that stack in about 4 hours.
4.25" x anything from 1" to 12"

They will be sold to a local mill that makes the 1/4" t&g closet liner material they sell at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
View attachment 1054814
Quite an operation you have there. What part of S. Mo are you from? Why 53"?

Quite an operation you have there. What part of S. Mo are you from? Why 53"?
We're about an hour and a half SE of Springfield....three miles north of the Arkansas border.....outside the village of Theodosia.

They require 53" because of planer "snipe" it typically ruins about 2.5" of each end of a board, so the want 5" of trim on a 48" can't.

We're about an hour and a half SE of Springfield....three miles north of the Arkansas border.....outside the village of Theodosia.

They require 53" because of planer "snipe" it typically ruins about 2.5" of each end of a board, so the want 5" of trim on a 48" can't.
Do they know how to run a planer. You but cants end to end as they run through and you don't get snipe. Maybe they're running half a dozen or so through at once and don't worry about the snipe. Hence the extra length.
an't think of any other use for shorties.

Do they know how to run a planer. You but cants end to end as they run through and you don't get snipe. Maybe they're running half a dozen or so through at once and don't worry about the snipe. Hence the extra length.
an't think of any other use for shorties.
I have no idea how they process it, but I do know that trim is a necessary evil when working with wood.
It sucks for the guys selling 53" cants and only getting paid for 48" but that's life, I figure.

Butting boards end to end helps, but it's not a 100% cure for all snipe, and nobody wants a board under 4 feet I s'pose.

Tell 'em that ain't snipe. That's an end-of-log taper designed for rain run off. Tell 'em It's a value added feature that you are including at no extra cost to them.

Tell 'em that ain't snipe. That's an end-of-log taper designed for rain run off. Tell 'em It's a value added feature that you are including at no extra cost to them.
Yup, you are a better business man than me...
I just don't have enough imagination to figure these things out....lol.

That’s not good , being so cold out next day or so . Hopefully restore it sooner than later.
The stove will keep the house warm. Hopefully it comes back before dawn would rather not have to go out to start the generator at below zero but I need my coffee

Back