Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made it!!!:crazy: I missed some interesting discussions about the size of necks, greasing zig zagging bears manually or electronically, Ford-Chevy-Dodge, souped up oil burning nazi go karts and maple syrup. I think that's it!?!🤔

Boiled about 40 gallons of sap yesterday and got 5.75 qts of this...
FB_IMG_16792764973244971.jpg
Had pine car races after church today and my wife is on a business trip to SC for 5 days so I am on kid duty with no time for my saws.:confused:
Spending time with the boys is good though!

I need to get about 3 cords cut, split and stacked soon. I have about 1/2 face cord left to burn and then I will start refilling the woodshed for 24/25.

Dang I've been gone for awhile. 80 pages behind!

Im gonna start a thread on this new project I'm picking up, but anyone on this thread real familiar with old cat equipment? Im pick up this pair of Cat No.12 Diesels pretty soon and need to learn about them. Im pretty sure the one has a newer engine in it. One is a 1945 and I think it has the original engine since the engine tag number matches the machine. The other one I is a 1943 with a tag on it saying that it was rebuilt in 1954 and I believe it has a newer engine in it.

tempImageusLReY.jpg

tempImageaF9elD.jpg

Well I mentioned it would be better for me to look at it Tuesday. He said he would hold it for me but he would need a deposit. Flags going off?

Yes. A deposit is when you commit to buy, you’re not going to do that until you look at it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some people are starting to feel the little pinch of debt service and need to offload excess material possessions. On a gun forum I frequent I have seen a huge increase of guns for sale in the classifieds.
Dang! Talk about getting behind. 34 alerts overnight.
The story behind the saw is it was taken in trade from a homeowner for some landscaping work the seller did for the guy.
What kinds of things do you guys look for when buying a saw? I bought a compression tester with fixing the 046 in mind. Never used it nor do I know how> I plan on 'testing' it with the saw drop method.
Any signs to tell if it's a clone? Don't know if this saw was ever cloned.

That's what I was thinking when I read his post lol.

He wasn't referring to that particular saw being a real saw, his “real men” comment was referring to men that ride horses into the forest to do saw work. You twisted it into a comment about that particular saw, and deflected his comment. 👀

Modified the muffler today on my newly bnb purchased 394XP. There is no longer a restriction inside of that muffler. I opened the intake side to match the steel plate which matches the exhaust port. Now I just need to reset the carb tomorrow.
You can put an extra port on the other side , I use 288 deflectors or similar, thoes big saws like to breath a lot , 👍

The story behind the saw is it was taken in trade from a homeowner for some landscaping work the seller did for the guy.
What kinds of things do you guys look for when buying a saw? I bought a compression tester with fixing the 046 in mind. Never used it nor do I know how> I plan on 'testing' it with the saw drop method.
Pretty sure they weren't cloned. Get a signed bill of sale from the guy. Have your local stihl shop fun the serial number. good luck.

@Kodiak Kid, So, I'm guessing you dont see too many Surfers? Seems Fossil Beach and Akbar are the only two places on the Island that anyone has reported surfing at. 11 spots down in Sitka.....

I do know the Rivermouths are pretty much the bestish opportunities, but you gotta be in the right spot at the right time with the bars changing all the time, and tide cycles having a big effect. I'd have to bring my own rubber, but boards are going to be expensive to bring, and I doubt rentals are plentiful. I'd be more inclined to bring them one way and leave (sell) them to the guide for his inventory.

The big question is do you see any Tidal Bores? I've surfed Oil tanker waves in the Gulf of Mexico, which was kinda ho-hum, until some LE boat ran out to our two boats and chased us off the bank. My Alabama friend knew the LE, and nothing came of it, its a bit of a small community out there, and he is a big wheel on the beaches with his businesses.

Wifey and I are starting planning for two trips out from now, and Alaska in summer 24 is where we are thinking. Headed for a long trip to Nova Scotia and back down the Seaway, and western NY and the west side of the mountains back home in an RV, flying up and taking over the RV from our friend the owner, who will fly home the same day and drive our truck back to her house a mile away, Puerto Rico in September for a 10 day at the tail end of Hurricane season. (we've been to PR an awful lot, we have friends there)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_bore

That’s what I’m reading. Salt is the killer.
I don't care what brand of truck they all rot like hell. Remember a manager I had drove a Toyota with 250,000 on it rot job but he got a recall and spent it on another toyota. Now why do the cars not rot like that? Some might but not like the trucks. I am going to get the new GMC rust proofed. Got to decide who to use, not POR 15 that failed on me I need to see what the fluid film people get.

Dang I've been gone for awhile. 80 pages behind!

Im gonna start a thread on this new project I'm picking up, but anyone on this thread real familiar with old cat equipment? Im pick up this pair of Cat No.12 Diesels pretty soon and need to learn about them. Im pretty sure the one has a newer engine in it. One is a 1945 and I think it has the original engine since the engine tag number matches the machine. The other one I is a 1943 with a tag on it saying that it was rebuilt in 1954 and I believe it has a newer engine in it.

View attachment 1067876

View attachment 1067877
Why are they sitting? I'd be more worried if something was up with the trans then the engine. Always seem to be able to get engine parts for a cat.
I don't care what brand of truck they all rot like hell. Remember a manager I had drove a Toyota with 250,000 on it rot job but he got a recall and spent it on another toyota. Now why do the cars not rot like that? Some might but not like the trucks. I am going to get the new GMC rust proofed. Got to decide who to use, not POR 15 that failed on me I need to see what the fluid film people get.
My uncle switched to fluid film or pfc whichever is cheaper at the time. He likes it, but it constantly needs reapplied for continuous protection. He gets it by the gallon, and I'm sure if he could he'd get it by the drum. I used it from time to time and like it, but never undercoated with it.
What issues did you have with the por15? I've used it to good success in the past and know many other that have used it with good success as well. Biggest gripe about it is it needs top coated, which is an added cost, so it got axed for the frame on the crew can. There are other products out there that don't need topcoated.
If they are still around rusfre was good back in the day. Haven't looked into them recently.

Far as I know it hasn't been cloned yet. I'd proceed with caution, I'd hate to buy a stolen saw, or anything for that matter. Like Steve said, you can check with your stihl dealer and have them run the serial number. I wouldn't be giving any money till I could see the saw, if he sells it before you get to look at it, take it as a sign it wasn't meant to be.
Rope compression test should be good, if pull the plug and give a peak inside see what you can see, better if he would let you pull the exhaust, most wouldn't though. Make sure it runs if nothing else.

Well had a balmy 19*f this morning. Went to start the tdi fired up ran a little rough, calmed down then shut off. Fired it back up and it seemed like it was starving for fuel. Didn't have time to mess with it as I was already running a little behind. Jumped in the truck and ran it to work. From messing with it this weekend, it sure dies seem like the regular maintenance was left slip. I know the guy changed the oil regularly, he had recipes for that. Just wondering when the fuel filter was changed last, and if the fuel gelled up over night. First time it happened on me, but it was also colder last night then its been in the past week.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some people are starting to feel the little pinch of debt service and need to offload excess material possessions. On a gun forum I frequent I have seen a huge increase of guns for sale in the classifieds.
The price and availability of ammo likely has an influence too... If you shoot regularly the total cost of the ammo can easily exceed the cost of the gun very quickly. As such, if buying the gun was a stretch buying ammo hurts... I suspect that if I kept track of my chainsaw related expenses that it didn't take long to pass the cost of a saw when things like mix oil, bar oil, fuel, bars, wedges, files, chains, replacement parts, maintenance parts, PPE, etc. are taken into account. I generally don't have these things to save money... 😉

Back