Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to buy another tent garage . This one is a lot more than the Rhino shelter I bought a couple of years ago but it’s also 6ft longer 20x30 . It’s made in Canada with all Canadian steel and fabrics and has a much heavier metal structure with added truss supports . It will be 7k delivered to my door . I could buy a steel building for that but I would need permits and my taxes would go up . Here’s some pictures of the one I’m looking at I like that it’s rounded so I wouldn’t need to go out and rake the snow off like the one I have now
https://www.cover-tech.com/portable-garagesView attachment 1068011View attachment 1068013
The unit I have now which I will most likely sell View attachment 1068015View attachment 1068016
Can you add Ultra Rib sheet metal without anyone finding out, and just keep the old one?
It's a good thing this guy had a landscaper for a neighbor who has felled many trees.

Man, that saw sounds FAST.
2-3 hours work is about all I am good for at my age. I just checked my battery drill, thought it might be a Milwaukee - nope, Black and Decker. I'm off shopping again tomorrow and still have a few places to look at, I'll see if I can find a Milwaukee and also a source for Echo. I'm ssure the prices will be pretty much in line or a bit cheaper than the Stihl.
Look at the Milwaukee Hatchet, I get alot of run time out of the battery- Don't underestimate the torque and the full house chain. I highly recommend it. If you are only good for 2-3 hours, this tool will be plenty sufficient. May even extend your work time.

Till I was adopted I was raised by my maternal grandparents. Me and pop used to do our runs every Saturday morning after tending the animals. He would pull up to Pansy Hill grocery had me $5.00. I'd go in get 2 pouches of silver cup leaf.... I'd get to keep a quarter.
OMG! They LET you Buy tobacco as a minor? Baad Grandparents!:surprised3:. I bet you really thought you had something with that quarter. ;)

Can you add Ultra Rib sheet metal without anyone finding out, and just keep the old one?
The town is very aggressive in code enforcement. They have to be with all the hunting camps , you should see some of the shanty`s built around here.
Fine I believe Is 10 times the cost of the permit plus the cost of the permit and if it doesn't pass code down it comes

Using the McD’s app I am getting a crispy chicken sandwich (breast meat one) for free with a $2 purchase so a large soda, hamburger, and chicken sammich is $2.30 or so. Not bad these days!
After getting things like Big Mac Meals and Whopper meals for about $3.25 for years, the current price around here of about $11.50 feels like robbery and the food doesn't taste nearly as good.😐 Adding insult to injury, the service, food consistency, order correctness, and cleanliness of the local Taco Bell and Burger King were so bad I complained to corporate. I told them I wasn't going back for at least three months and I didn't. Burger King called me. When I finally went back to those restaurants there were new managers on duty and most of the staff was new. The places were clean, the service was great, and the food consistent. My complaints weren't rants, I wrote them with my former business management professor hat on in terms that I figured would strike a cord. I cannot say it was my writing alone that stirred action... perhaps there were other complaints.

Not stopping there was actually a problem for me as I am often running around for meetings, volunteer tree work, helping my sons and parents and such, and don't have time for a sit down meal at a diner. As if I didn't have enough to do, I recently taped the drywall at the Hudson River Maritime Museum Boat School to help them repair flood damage--this as I was getting e-mails from my woodworking club begging for help with the dry wall at the school--we teach classes there and use the building for our meetings and help where we can. After a month of no takers I did it. As a 501(c)(3) they rely on volunteers and donations... I brought my labor, tools, mud, tape and flexible corner bead with me. Other's sanded the lift offs smooth, primed and painted it...

Saying Good food and McDonalds or any other fast food is an oxymoron

I do go to McDonalds from time to time they have a good consistent cup of coffee. That's the only thing I buy there
Yea they all wonder why, kids in America are in crisis mode over obesity , and social media, they don’t actually go outside and be active like decades past .

I think the cheapest I remember McDonald's cheeseburgers was 59 cents in the mid eighties.
I remember White Castle hamburgers for 19 cents, sometime in the '60s. But one those hamburgers wouldn't satisfy the appetite of 3-yr-old. You were always buying multiples. I did like their chopped onion content however.

Going to make some beams tomorrow

View attachment 1068151
You might consider putting a winch on that mill... I did that to mine back before Granberg came out with their winches. I used a boat trailer winch with paracord on a wooden mounting plate. It makes the job a lot easier than pushing the mill and the cuts are more consistent. I have the paracord anchored to a pully on chunk of wood in the background of the photo...

MillWinch.gif

I know a guy who is selling a MS462 for under $400. Says it was used by a homeowner and has a 36" B&C on it. If I get to take a look at it and find piston scoring, is it still worth it?

I believe this is a scam. Have seen this a lot on Craigslist. Just after as many deposits as they can collect.

OMG! They LET you Buy tobacco as a minor? Baad Grandparents!:surprised3:. I bet you really thought you had something with that quarter. ;)
The world got busy and nosy, wasn't even that long ago as I'm not that old. Yeah that quarter was dear to me back then, could buy a lot of candy with it lol.

Not a phone person. I finally broke down and replaced my flip phone with an I-phone in November, but I resist learning how to access internet or email with it, as I don't want to miss out on life while staring at a small screen. When I go to camp in June I don't want to be tempted to check on the internet and miss out on one second of the woods & fields around me. So I just downloaded recent pics from my camera.

Here's the almost-finished smoked salmon I prepared last month. This stuff is the world's best camp food--it's truly preserved (besides being delicious). I just had a slab for breakfast from a pkg that's been sitting open on the kitchen counter for a week or two. For some reason I just find cooking & food preparation are not my thing. I can cook bacon and eggs & fried toast at camp, but in the evening I usually just have smoked salmon & maybe potato chips or corn chips for supper. (My wife's old joke is that if she didn't cook I'd live on potato chips & ice cream.) I do 2--3 batches of salmon a year, 12--15 fillets (Pacific, wild-caught) each time. There's another layer, bunch of slabs beneath the main grill area in the photo.

DSC03087.JPGDSC03090.JPG

A great source of winter entertainment is the birds out on our south deck rail. I keep a seed feeder, a heated water dish, and a suet basket--it's non-stop entertainment throughout the daylight hours. Woodpeckers, pygmy nuthatches, white breasted nuthatches, house finches (very colorful), etc. Crows and magpies can't access the seed feeder, but they have a ball with the suet. From this morning:

DSC03101.JPG

Back