Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was close .018” after removal, it was .036” before if I remember correctly. I recall using a little extra Motoseal to assure the squish didn’t end up too small. You think I should make a base gasket from shim stock of a few thousands to get it to .020?
I hate to put the factory gasket back on because it sure did seem to give it some grunt. But I also don’t want to damage a newer great running saw either. So is .018” too tight?
You'll be fine. Mine is in that ballpark after machine work.

It was close .018” after removal, it was .036” before if I remember correctly. I recall using a little extra Motoseal to assure the squish didn’t end up too small. You think I should make a base gasket from shim stock of a few thousands to get it to .020?
I hate to put the factory gasket back on because it sure did seem to give it some grunt. But I also don’t want to damage a newer great running saw either. So is .018” too tight?
You should be fine. .020 is the goal, but as long as you are not under .015 I would not worry about it.

A week ago Tueday we had 27 inches of heavy wet snow. I did my two driveways and the road end,at my daughters place with my tractor. Somehow at the other two places I must have been backdragging a bit too hard. I bent both of my pistons dead center on the rods a good one inch. I noticed this on Monday. I was able to get one pretty straight. The other one snapped in half when I tried to bend it back. One new complete piston is over $900 with taxes and shipping. The local hydraulic shop said $600 - 700 and possibly more. Two new rods from them was around $200 - 250 + -. Plus a few weeks to get them done. I ordered 2 new piston rods, end caps, and seal kits drop shipped from Kioti on Tuseday. They arrived this afternoon and my tractor is back in business. Cost to rebuild both of them was $965. One thing I noticed when I pulled the cylinders apart is the the lower seals on the piston rods were flipped over on both pistons. I have this funny feeling that they have been like this since new. My bucket has never worked so fast as it does now when titling downwards. The picture of the two seals is shown.

Attachments

• 20230323_155330.jpg
    20230323_155330.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230323_155112.jpg
    20230323_155112.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_155134.jpg
    20230323_155134.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_155122.jpg
    20230323_155122.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Here’s our current conditions and ten-day forecast. Honestly not too shabby for early March in northeastern Minnesota.

The big piles across the street are where all the downtown snow gets dumped now that they can’t dump it in the river.

View attachment 1061563

View attachment 1061562
Apparently Ma nature decided that we need some more winter. More snow late in March than early.
66CF4924-FA69-42A3-B55D-6C1C9380E164.jpeg

30 min of stealth firewooding after work. Saw works well except for the overheat sensor shutting the saw off after 10 or so cuts in 12-14" wood. Resets almost immediately, but then trips after 10 sec. I understand there is a way to disable the sensor. The saw is not getting hot at all. Today's haul (not overloaded). I'm new at the ATV thing. Oh, and I don't smell like 2 stroke exhaust!20230323_170038_HDR.jpg20230323_170051.jpg20230323_170122_HDR.jpg

Apparently Ma nature decided that we need some more winter. More snow late in March than early.
View attachment 1068945
I'm sitting in front of the ac cooling down after pouring concrete this morning...
I'd like to give y'all a few of our extra degrees......

I did not get much range time with the 338-06 yet (only two trips) and likely will not get back to the range till after 4/17.

The only bullet I got to shoot well was the Barnes 210 gr TTSX, which is what I really wanted to hunt with anyway as it is a premium bullet that I can load to about 2,700 fps (about perfect IMO) and it has a VG BC (.482). Trouble is, Midway USA only had one box of 50 and no longer has them, and neither does Cabela's.

The Barnes site also said they were N/A for a while, but now says they are available! They wanted $10 shipping of a box of 50, but if I order 2 boxes, the shipping is free (they don't tell you this, you have to experiment to find out).

Call me paranoid, but several times when I have seen things come available (bullets, powder, primers) they disappear just as fast! So I have 2 boxes of 50 each on order. They say it may take several weeks for them to ship them, but that is OK as I'm too busy now anyway.

The good group I shot (7/8") was with IMR 4350 powder, but I'd also like to try both H-380 and CFE-223 and see how they do.

It is amazing how consistently poorly the Hornady 200 gr SST bullets shot. With 3 different powders and 5 different loads, and two different seating depths I got 4 groups of 1 7/8" and one group 1 15/16"!

To be continued after 4/17!

Yep, the rumor here is that several years back a bow hunter shot a deer that ran up and dropped dead next to some kids waiting on the school bus. Then we have a married couple who are always circulating petitions and hounding the county commissioners to expand the no shooting zone in the more densely housed neighborhoods. These assholes piss me off mightily, as hunting was strong here long before they arrived. They even got the commissioners to rule that bows and crossbows count as "firearms," so as to prevent bowhunting in most of the district. Good news is that hunting is allowed on private property (while a huge part of our district is national forest, where the no-hunting can be enforced).
The married couple written about baffles me.. Seems to me people fed families on game and farm animals long before Walmart and Whole Foods.. What part of the food chain do they live in? Or do they think it's just a "blood sport"? The kids at the school bus stop deserve to learn how to feed themselves and a family without driving the SUV to Wally world. Possibly a trip to a cattle feed lot for sight seeing..... Or a pig barn where they never see sunlight.... Do the parents volunteer food or time at the local soup kitchen to feed people ? That whole scenario flips me right out.. The herd of deer in the front yard could attract predators,, cats n coyotes,, while the kids are at the bus stop unprotected.. Oh wait they have cell phones and video games,, to learn bloodsports on virtually.

It will be fine at that, I have saws and hobby engines down in the .012"-.014" range thay never had any issues. .020" is the golden rule of squish. I personally think it has more to do with manufacturing tolerances then how the saw runs. Really so long as a rod doesn't stretch, and you get no carbon build up you could go as tight to the squish band as you like. (Assuming proper shape and a good combustion chamber design.)

It will be fine at that, I have saws and hobby engines down in the .012"-.014" range thay never had any issues. .020" is the golden rule of squish. I personally think it has more to do with manufacturing tolerances then how the saw runs. Really so long as a rod doesn't stretch, and you get no carbon build up you could go as tight to the squish band as you like. (Assuming proper shape and a good combustion chamber design.)
That's my understanding too, .020 is a good goal, although I've set the squish myself very few times.
From what I've heard from saw builders, you can get away with less on a smaller saw than a larger saw.
I know Joe(red97) set most his at .025.
I wouldn't be concerned at all with one at .018".

10 was your number.. No one said anything about 10. except you.
Have you been reading the post? People are talking about a lot more than one or two being a problem. One pict. above, has more than 10 deer in it.

A few days ago I had 11 of them come through here, a few weeks ago I counted 10 bucks that came through here all at once.

SR

Back