Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning guys. I’m heading down to Saint Paul this morning for a meeting and also getting a dog for one of my friends. They bought him from the same breeder that I got my golden from (he’s technically my dog’s half brother) so I’m meeting her after my work meeting is done.

Northern lights were out in full force last night, however around me, there wasn’t much color, except for white/green. Other areas nearby had a lot of pinks and purples as well.

3F54C28B-0B83-48A1-88E8-8C4BCF5784F5.jpeg427A67D6-CB84-47DE-9B9B-48342B7C4E20.jpegA5BD8595-F01F-4FAA-84AD-8D97552F011B.jpegBCEC0492-1D8E-4BD8-A209-66C11F19D5A3.jpeg

Have you been reading the post? People are talking about a lot more than one or two being a problem. One pict. above, has more than 10 deer in it.

A few days ago I had 11 of them come through here, a few weeks ago I counted 10 bucks that came through here all at once.

SR
How do you know they were bucks ?

Good morning guys. I’m heading down to Saint Paul this morning for a meeting and also getting a dog for one of my friends. They bought him from the same breeder that I got my golden from (he’s technically my dog’s half brother) so I’m meeting her after my work meeting is done.

Northern lights were out in full force last night, however around me, there wasn’t much color, except for white/green. Other areas nearby had a lot of pinks and purples as well.

View attachment 1069040View attachment 1069041View attachment 1069042View attachment 1069043
That's awesome! We had a good show last night as well. All green but they were dancing and flashing here. It was awesome. It's the second time in my life I've seen them at home.

It will be fine at that, I have saws and hobby engines down in the .012"-.014" range thay never had any issues. .020" is the golden rule of squish. I personally think it has more to do with manufacturing tolerances then how the saw runs. Really so long as a rod doesn't stretch, and you get no carbon build up you could go as tight to the squish band as you like. (Assuming proper shape and a good combustion chamber design.)
I think the .020 # is intended to give room for heat expansion, plus a little. I would never go down below .010 (or even .015).

How do you know they were bucks ?
They come near my house, I can see them clearly from my dining room window, four still had horns and looking through binocs I could clearly see the heads of the others had already dropped them.

It's 10:09am here and there's seven deer out there right now...

SR

Have you been reading the post? People are talking about a lot more than one or two being a problem. One pict. above, has more than 10 deer in it.

A few days ago I had 11 of them come through here, a few weeks ago I counted 10 bucks that came through here all at once.

SR
No one wants the herd, or even half.. just freezer meat. Maybe one or two for donating to others less fortunate.

No one wants the herd, or even half.. just freezer meat. Maybe one or two for donating to others less fortunate.
Exactly, that's why there's so many around here on my place, I only shoot two or three a year.

Last fall I shot two bucks, here's one of them,

Resized-20221120-180032-S.jpg

Two is all I wanted, and I had the above pict. one, processed to give to my stepson/family for Christmas as I do every year. And half of the second one to my best friend, I share a deer with him every year and have for many years.

Point being, I couldn't use up as many deer as what walks through my garden, if I shot them all, But they don't bother my garden much anyway, as there's plenty of other feed for them around here.

SR

Yep, the rumor here is that several years back a bow hunter shot a deer that ran up and dropped dead next to some kids waiting on the school bus. Then we have a married couple who are always circulating petitions and hounding the county commissioners to expand the no shooting zone in the more densely housed neighborhoods. These assholes piss me off mightily, as hunting was strong here long before they arrived. They even got the commissioners to rule that bows and crossbows count as "firearms," so as to prevent bowhunting in most of the district. Good news is that hunting is allowed on private property (while a huge part of our district is national forest, where the no-hunting can be enforced).
WE are in a right to farm town. Being in the middle of nowhere you would think thats a no brainer but then someone moves in and want's to bit*h about Chickens smell etc.
I remember years ago in southern Maine some couple bought land next to a junkyard and sued them because it stunk and was messy. They lost and the junkyard planted junk cars .upright as a new fence

Going to call it. This will be the last subzero temps of the season for us.
View attachment 1069048
It was 78 and humid here yesterday....if we could just even things out a little.....

It was so hot in the house, we put the AC in the window last night so we could sleep....now we've got a fire going cause it's 60 and raining....

I think the .020 # is intended to give room for heat expansion, plus a little. I would never go down below .010 (or even .015).
I aim for .020, don't think too long if it's down to .015. Anything below that I wouldn't give back to the owner. My rc engines I've had factory set at .012-.014". The .012 was a little tight for my liking and got a thicker base gasket. I never actually thought of expansion, but you are certainly right. Need to account for that. Everything expands when it's hot.

I aim for .020, don't think too long if it's down to .015. Anything below that I wouldn't give back to the owner. My rc engines I've had factory set at .012-.014". The .012 was a little tight for my liking and got a thicker base gasket. I never actually thought of expansion, but you are certainly right. Need to account for that. Everything expands when it's hot.

When my 2 stroke modding capabilities were in their infancy, I built one of my 044s with something less than .015" squish(I don't remember the exact number.) Anyway, I got it nice and hot, and heard what sounded like a light tapping noise...I tore it down and there was evidence that the piston was just barely touching the squish band at TDC when hot.

Luckily no damage and I've since been fairly conservative on squish numbers. My own saws are usually pretty tight, often below .020", but I occasionally do tear-downs on most of my saws, so I'm not too worried about carbon build up. Other peoples' saws, I'm usually in the .020-.025" range, because most people aren't pulling a motor apart until something breaks.

Speaking of which, most guys' maintenance habits are pretty atrocious. I've seen pistons that didn't have the cir-clips installed(on a dual-transfer Stihl none the less,) foam air filters without oil, and even a couple of saws with holes punched through the piston from metal piston stops.

Back