Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I got my money's worth out of THIS tire,

Resized-20230326-143643-S.jpg

Actually, I got the running gear used, and the tire was already on it and shot. lol

SR

Speaking of burning hot, my wife put a bamboo cutting board in the stove on some hot coals and we like to never got the stove under control! Won't do that again!
Wife's cousin thought his wife had more wicker baskets then they needed. He piled them in his fireplace and lit them. Fire out of control that singed the hearth. lucky the house did not burn up.

That hydro strain was real Chipper!
There was a little bypass(wood that was between my two cuts) on the back cut, ot just needed to break that, it was pretty much balanced.
Later this week when it's dry I hope to noodle all the larger rounds, they were calling for rain, it just arrived.
All the branches are burned up and the other rounds are on the to be split pile. The boy came out right after I finished hauling all the brush, at least I had help loading the wood :).
20230326_105812.jpg20230326_110033.jpg20230326_161118.jpg

There was a little bypass(wood that was between my two cuts) on the back cut, ot just needed to break that, it was pretty much balanced.
Later this week when it's dry I hope to noodle all the larger rounds, they were calling for rain, it just arrived.
All the branches are burned up and the other rounds are on the to be split pile. The boy came out right after I finished hauling all the brush, at least I had help loading the wood :).
View attachment 1069731View attachment 1069732View attachment 1069733
Hey, that's starting to look like a pond..... ;)

View attachment 1069731View attachment 1069732View attachment 1069733
Nice work there Chipper. You could be the next tilapia Baron.

Hey, that's starting to look like a pond..... ;)
Thanks, just a few more things to remove, then a little moving of some dirt and it will look a lot more like one 😆.
Nice work there Chipper. You could be the next tilapia Baron.
That wasn't one I was thinking of, but if it can live without aeration or a spring, it sounds good to me. I like tilapia :sweet:.

So, going from my 1:00 appointment to my 3:30 appointment I got to play with a Porche GT4 today on a real windy backroad. It had one of those mechanical rear spoilers and everything. The magazine article says they have over 490 Hp, are light weight, handle great and can run 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and the 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds. I'm sure part of that is because the engine is over the rear wheels. They also cost over $150,000.

I was able to stay right on him through the turns, although I'm sure I was near my limits, he did corner very well. The Steeda suspension (springs, shocks/struts and sway bars) and wider Nitto tires certainly make the Mustang a competitor.

On the straights I reeled him in so bad it surprised me. I really had to be careful not to stay on the gas too long, or I had to brake really hard fast. Often, I just stayed right on him w/o giving it full throttle. I know I have more Hp than him, but my car is also heavier, so I think the SC must also give me a broader power curve.

Well, the Mustang did well for itself today against a world class sports car (in the twisties), for a lot less money, and I have room in the back for grandkids!!!

I bought a new saw recently, a Makita 7910, because they are not making them anyone and i wanted one before they're gone. I mixed fresh gas fitted it up, adjusted the idle and put it away a week or so ago. I took it on a job Thursday where i needed to build a car crossing over a creek and a foot bridge. I needed to feel some cottonwood trees to make the crossing a straight shot.
Unloaded the excavator and got the saw out of the truck. It absolutely would not start. I tried all the typical tricks. Nothing. I need to check to see how strong the spark is, maybe open the gap wide as it easily sparks the current plug. I ended up having to do what i could with a little Husky 120 and pushing them the rest of the way with the excavator. Very depressing to say the least.

Attachments

• 20230324_090325.jpg
    20230324_090325.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230326_084952.jpg
    IMG_20230326_084952.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
Deer can be a real pain. My buddies brother has constant issues between crop damage and them breaking through his silo bags. Wasn't such an issues years ago, but the farms keep getting sold off to developers and the deer just move to where the food is. That and you can't hunt in or around the developments is a recipe for disaster.

Getting late in my wood processing year, but I had this big dead Red Oak in the woods a little too near my house, so I lined it, waited till my son came for a visit, and took it down in the direction I wanted it to go. Here is a 1 minute video of me making the back cut:

Late in that cut I stopped to apply a wedge, but noticed the cut was opening nicely due to the line pull, so I didn't bother. A late arriving branch kind of flung itself back at me there at the end.

And, here is the same minute plus of video from the ground crew side of the wood lot:

That first video was made with an aging GoPro, the second with a propped up Samsung phone, which fell over when the ground shook. This was a nice big oak log at 30" diameter and straight for about 30'. But, I don't really have a way to lift, and haul to a mill, so it is destined to the firewood pile:

IMG_2549.jpg

Back