Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but I think I missed something. The new Dewalt had the warranty? Or the Flex? Never heard of them. I've stuck with Rigid brand (HD). because of the warranty and free batteries. Probably not as powerful as Dewalt or Milwaukee, but I never have to buy batteries again.
I bought the Flex it has the lifetime warranty so if a battery goes I get a new one . I have a couple of their tools for a while, they make one of the best polishers on the market. The one I have is made in Germany it’s about 5 years old now . I use Griots pads and polished

I edited the post to make it clearer

IMG_6408.jpegIMG_6409.jpeg

I figured you would only put OEM on that truck. I'll just find something cheap. When I was in high school I had a 1937 Cord 810, that had been street rodded with an early Olds Rocket V8. It had a rear tire mount that hung in our barn for at least 40 years. I think when Mom and Dad moved I left it there. It was cool.
Wasn’t going to put one on the truck but I found the cutout fender at a local swap meet it was in mint condition . Took me about two years to find the mount itself .

Another mountain neighbor went up to look at access to our places last Sunday.
F9FB438B-ABD2-4D3D-8CC3-7E54DABADACC.jpeg

He saw a couple locals.
468699C7-C5FD-4195-8709-2169A4E1AF06.jpeg

He then continued up to see how it is getting to the upper access road, he saw this and turned around. He made it a little over half way.
0AFCDF61-FD8E-4712-823D-2784AF1AC792.jpeg

This is a fir tree.
5CEFD979-EC19-4C04-98BE-2EEF90AA37D0.jpeg

A bit after 5 this evening I got a notice that an ash was down on the rail rail and it had a small maple pinned as a spring pole. I had all my gear in my vehicle already as I spent a couple hours cleaning up the last of the tree debris that I'd put along the property line at my parents' home. I've cut down or otherwise cleaned up at least 60 trees there in the past 7 years. Also, bunches of them have fallen on their property from the neighbors' property. Anyhow, total time on the trail ash was about 2 hours including drive time, sawing, moving, and raking the debris off the trail. I used the MS661 as the photo accompanying the notice showed it was on the large size compared to many of the ash I've cut on the trail. I used that as an excuse to use the 661 after running the 261 earlier. 😉

The county executive came by on her bicycle as I was filling the saw with fluids. I just saw her Friday further south on the trail as we had a grand opening celebration for the southern part of the trail that was just built.

As reported:

123_1.gif

As cut
IMG_5736.gif

IMG_5738.gif

View of Mohonk and the Gunks from the Plattekill Creek bridge on the new section of trail. The stone fire tower at Mohonk is at the high point just right of center. Mohonk is where the TV Series Upload is set. They generally show aerial views of the mountain house.

IMG_5719.gif
1685062834929.png

Another mountain neighbor went up to look at access to our places last Sunday.
View attachment 1085404

He saw a couple locals.
View attachment 1085405

He then continued up to see how it is getting to the upper access road, he saw this and turned around. He made it a little over half way.
View attachment 1085406

This is a fir tree.
View attachment 1085407
A week of storms heading your way?

High Sierra pack station the other day...Edison Lk, 8,000'

High Sierra pk station, 5-14-23.jpg

Sonora pass on the 23rd
Sonora pass, 5-23-23.jpg

Is there an accepted limit to the number of scrounge pics that should be posted? I'm starting to worry that I am OVERLOADING the 'other stuff' thread with scrounging pics. Someone please tell me if I'm out of line.

Here's some scrounge

View attachment 1085170

Here's some more

View attachment 1085171

Here's a bit more

View attachment 1085172

And some more again

View attachment 1085173

It looks kinda ratty in the pics, unlike some of the nice clean ash and oak pics you blokes (used to) post. But it's clean burning and solid BTUs so I'm very happy with what I've been getting. Especially now I'm up to around 22.5 cubes or 6 cord from the one tree 😲 :sweet:
IIRC there was a limit of 3 per post way back when I first started here. That didn't last long. I usually don't wait for pics to load or I'd neveer be able to stay current. Very slow broadband here.

I stop by the log yard and found a small pile of branches of R. Oak. The pile consists of mostly Soft Maple, Birch, Pine and Ash. I don't mess around with those because this is "Hardwood Country". At least not now, yet. If I get an excess this year, I couldn't sell that 'stuff' around here. So I grabbed the branches before they got pushed onto the burn pile. Happens daily.
The question is, does this constitute as scrounging?
View attachment 1085266

Absolutely. That is the epitome of scrounging. 👌

We were at Bike week in New Hampshire about 10 years ago . Woman who was a passenger was struck by a falling tree on the Kancamagus highway . She was knocked off the bike and killed the husband survived with minor injuries. Clear sunny no wind day

That's no good.

I've been up the Kanc. Beautiful country.

That's what I first thought when I saw your wood. That's garbage! Then I saw it cut open and it was solid. Different part of the world, you take what you've got. No disrespect intended. If it burns hot, it's good wood. and I like the idea that it's seasoned or at least partially seasoned wood. Can't believe six cords (so far) from one tree, that's insane. My scrounge would be over.

As others said, keep the pics coming.

Yep. Peppermints don't provide the prettiest looking firewood. The bark is furry and fibrous. It often has moss on the south facing side (away from the sun). But it splits easily, is denser than most northern hemisphere firewood apart from locust and osage and has almost no ash in it. I burned for two months straight last year and took out half a bucket of ash. Sure it won't win any beauty contests, but when you're only going to burn it, what do you want?

Ok. I would like my scrounge pics to be prettier. Maybe quantity makes up for quality?

Well, last night after work (day shift for one day... now back on the 1 to 9pm shift ffs) my logging buddy called, needed a hand with his truck. Stopped by after work and helped him out. We've both had rough childhoods, not that either of us are any worse off. We were talking about this and that, and he told me about something that happened to him this past weekend that I found quite profound.
He's big into knives and throwing knives/axes. He was invited to a local competition/flee market of a sorts. The guy that puts the show on and my friend are very close. The show guy wanted my friend to meet a young kid that's making knives. They went and checked oit his (kids) stand. My friend said he was immediately drawn to this cleaver style knife, but it was drawn to a fine point, said the blad was amazing, craftsmanship was beautiful, even the holster was hand made by this kid.(using the tern kid loosely, he's most likely my age so mid 30's) my friend gave the kid high praise. He didn't have any intention of going to this meet to buy anything. The guy that put the show on asked the kid what he wanted for it, and promptly forked the money over and handed my friend the knife. My friend refused, said you didn't have to do that. The old guy said thays exactly why he did it. If he had to buy that knife he wouldn't have, but he didn't have to and wanted my friend to have it.
That really hit me hard. I've been very fortunate in life to have people that didn't have to help me, or take me in, that have made me who I am today. My grandparents and my adoptive parents didn't have to take the responsibility of raising another kid, that owned them nothing. I'm very fortunate to have these people in my life, and extremely thankful for each and every one of them.

That is fantastic. Thank God those values still exist.

Same here. It doesn't take much to cause the cut to drift.

Well I got Limby back today, with a new bar. Wasn't what I was expecting but I have taken saws into this place before and been satisfied with the result. Sure, it is a Husky place. But at least they put a Tsumura bar on it not a Husky. I don't think Limby would have put up with a Husky bar. Imagine all the hubbub at family gatherings and so forth. Not to mention the harassment Limby would have had to cop from the other saws on the way out to scrounge locations. It doesn't bear to think about.

Anyway, we'll see if it works tomorrow. Scrounge will be on. Prepare yourselves, pics incoming...

Back