Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

Input appreciated. I'm thinking a bit more about a longer bar for Limby, and for the 460. I have not used the 460 very much in recent years, mostly because of the 20in bar on it. Since the 16in bar on the MMWS 241 gets through most of the limb material I cut, with some overbucking the 460 became redundant because the 25in bar on the 661 was soon needed.

But some of the big trees I cut require cutting from both sides and sometimes with an intermediate cut to get through. They can be up to 60in in diameter. When I'm trying to get through big trunks that are suspended, I typically horizontally noodle a cut a few inches from the bottom to support it then do a cut from either side and noodle a vertical one to split off the half rounds to either side (I got caught by a big round that rolled towards me once and I'm not going there again). A longer bar doing the horizontal and vertical cuts would allow me four half rounds in the one cut.

I'm thinking maybe a 36in bar for Limby and put the new 25in bar from Limby onto the 460. Will get more useful production out of the 460 this way but then have a bunch of 20in chains that will collect dust. Long bars and chains aren't so cheap over here though. Thoughts?

Hmm. I may have answered my own question 🤔:chainsaw:
Sell the 20" bar and chains.

You're getting those parts so clean, they look almost new. What are you soaking them in? My saw could use a bath.
'Awesome' from Dollar Tree. ( suggested by another member above) Half the cost of other degreasers ive been using and does the same thing. Some stuff has to soak a couple days. And, don't let aluminum soak too long :p. Couple hrs, tops.

Once I got my back garden spot shaped the way that I wanted it,

Resized-20230526-161102-S.jpg

I climbed up on top of it with my tinker toy tractor,

Resized-20230528-084535-S.jpg

and tilled it a couple times,

Resized-20230528-114232-S.jpg

NOW, it's ready to plant flower bulbs into it, I grow them every year for a local greenhouse.

SR

Once I got my back garden spot shaped the way that I wanted it,

Resized-20230526-161102-S.jpg

I climbed up on top of it with my tinker toy tractor,

Resized-20230528-084535-S.jpg

and tilled it a couple times,

Resized-20230528-114232-S.jpg

NOW, it's ready to plant flower bulbs into it, I grow them every year for a local greenhouse.

SR
Hmm, that looks a tad quicker than our Mantis tiller 🤣

G'day fellers,

Input appreciated. I'm thinking a bit more about a longer bar for Limby, and for the 460. I have not used the 460 very much in recent years, mostly because of the 20in bar on it. Since the 16in bar on the MMWS 241 gets through most of the limb material I cut, with some overbucking the 460 became redundant because the 25in bar on the 661 was soon needed.

But some of the big trees I cut require cutting from both sides and sometimes with an intermediate cut to get through. They can be up to 60in in diameter. When I'm trying to get through big trunks that are suspended, I typically horizontally noodle a cut a few inches from the bottom to support it then do a cut from either side and noodle a vertical one to split off the half rounds to either side (I got caught by a big round that rolled towards me once and I'm not going there again). A longer bar doing the horizontal and vertical cuts would allow me four half rounds in the one cut.

I'm thinking maybe a 36in bar for Limby and put the new 25in bar from Limby onto the 460. Will get more useful production out of the 460 this way but then have a bunch of 20in chains that will collect dust. Long bars and chains aren't so cheap over here though. Thoughts?

Hmm. I may have answered my own question 🤔:chainsaw:
I have a 20 and a 25 for my ms460. Thought the longer bar would be the bee's knees but I really like the 20. The 25 makes it nose heavy enough to feel it and it balances perfectly with the 20. But when the big wood calls, you have to answer!

Was away for the WE up at the cabin with my daughter and her family, so I'm a bit behind on the posts. Hope everyone enjoyed the Memorial Day weekend as much as I did. It was a combination of work and play. We had to move the solar panels away from the side of the cabin as the overhang was blocking them from the sun at 3pm, and we had to repair porcupine damage to the new outhouse, they climbed up the corner to the top and ate a hole through the plywood. I repaired the damage and added Stripe Maple wood strips to protect the corners.

We also shot guns and rode around on the quads.

They have added several new windmills that are destroying my beautiful (formerly pristine) view from my lifeguard stand, I'm NOT happy! It is very dry up there, but we did find some coyote and bear tracks in the mud (fairly large for a Black Bear, that is my large size work glove for comparison) and visited a neighbor who has his place is a nice former Bluestone quarry.

I know you guys like pics:

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_002919513.jpg
    IMG_20230527_002919513.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230527_112341303_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_112341303_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230527_112541921_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_112541921_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230529_123601711_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230529_123601711_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230529_125831668_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230529_125831668_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Today's scrounge....the price was zero $ so I figured that was a decent deal.
Runs great, just needs a new rear tire.View attachment 1086683
I like slime for them, always have a gallon on hand.
Is that your little Honda generator right side top corner of the pic, those are cool.

You're getting those parts so clean, they look almost new. What are you soaking them in? My saw could use a bath.
Also, the stuff will cause fast rust on non-stainless steel pts so rinse well and blow dry.
The baked on pine pitch takes isopropyl alcohol to break down.

Some assembly required...pile o saw...20230530_123024.jpg

I like slime for them, always have a gallon on hand.
Is that your little Honda generator right side top corner of the pic, those are cool.
Hole's too big for slime.... maybe concrete might work....

Yup, good eye... It's a pretty handy lil bugger.

Sometime I'll post a picture from my full time auction going days...... it'll take y'all a week of looking to see everything.

Well, I scored too off of CL. Not as nice as Sawdust Man''s, but maybe H Ranch would approve.
IMG_1842.JPG

The axle came out of the bracket and the homeowner didn't know how to fix it. It's one of those lighter metal pans and the limbs are the skinny ones. This will be my tool barrow. Currently I've got tools, nut, bolts etc in my beefier one in the garage. When I work on a project, I just dump the tools in the barrow and shove in the garage. Then it's all together when I restart.

Edit: I fixed a section of soaker hose (foreground) with modern day bailing wire (duct tape):laugh:

Yup, good eye... It's a pretty handy lil bugger.

Sometime I'll post a picture from my full time auction going days...... it'll take y'all a week of looking to see everything.
I have craiglist eye, it doesn't seem to be curable :cool:.
Probably looks a lot like my basement, it would make a good pickers show lol.
It's hilarious when people who know anything about "stuff" get down there, and about as funny when those who don't see it all :laughing: .
Speaking of craigslist, just found this sweet pellet stove :laugh: .

Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 6.00.38 PM.png

Back