Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine without a loader. There were 2 different models of loaders available for it, and it was basically impossible to find one that didn't come with a tractor. Paid $3k for the tractor and got a bit over $1200.00 into building the loader. Just had to buy lines, a valve and cylinders. We had the steel laying around from other projects. Got a ssqa plate and mounts for $200.00, and a nice bucket for another $200.00. Can't say I'd be without a loader anymore.
Yep a loader is a must. 3 point and pto is nice.... Loader a must!

Mostly shagbark, but some bitternut too.

Norwood bands, most have been resharped a few times... None are current production.

SR
Interesting.

Whatever we have here is pretty much non saw-able....no easy slicing on this stuff
I can put a brand new blade on the mill and it'll dive like a dull blade in the first cut, (even in a little 8" log) then it starts to smoking, and the teeth are all rounded over.
I use woodmizer double hard blades and they cut very well in most woods.

Maybe there's a reason there is no market for hickory around here?

This falls under other stuff ,but effects my scrounge options!!!!
I need a hyd. tank for a gt 235 John Deere garden tractor. $80 some odd dollars for a new one which is nuts for a quart size plastic bottle.
Anyone know if a source for used John Deere garden tractor parts???
I use this little this constantly. Dragging brush, small logs, the splitter, trailers, sleds etc., etc.

It's sad to hear your having issues starting your saws. I wouldn't trade the 400 for another 60ish and most 70cc saws. I'm also half you age, so I'm sure that's part of it. Have you tried drop starting it? I think that was a prior suggestion.

Yea, I tried it and like mosst of the times in the past it was a pathetic failure. I somehow just can't get the moves down enough to make it work.

I drop start mine. It can make me say bad words occasionally. :surprised3: I stihl think the cord is a tad long.

My problem: even with the compression release on the 400 I can't that last compression about 1 out of 3 pulls. From the dealer demonstrations of starting it, one MUST geet that last compression or it ain't a gonna start. The 441 problem is new. That saw is, and always was, easy one to start.

This falls under other stuff ,but effects my scrounge options!!!!
I need a hyd. tank for a gt 235 John Deere garden tractor. $80 some odd dollars for a new one which is nuts for a quart size plastic bottle.
Anyone know if a source for used John Deere garden tractor parts???
I use this little this constantly. Dragging brush, small logs, the splitter, trailers, sleds etc., etc.
one of the reasons I hate deere equipment, is their cost to repair.
See if this is right.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275590008441

one of the reasons I hate deere equipment, is their cost to repair.
See if this is right.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275590008441
Yes that's the right one. I'll be going that route if I can't find a used one. I found one but it's on a good axle and he doesn't want to separate them which of course I understand.
Thought about buying the whole thing and having a spare axle but then I'd have to find a place to store it.

Got some bad news today. My scrounging truck (only vehicle) is temporarily out of action. I was coming home from a nice morning at the lake and luckily I was on the country roads taking the back way to my house. Less than two miles from my house, I hear a clunking noise over the noise of the radio. I pulled over and looked under my truck expecting to see a dragging muffler. Oh Sh!t! It was the gas tank! The rear strap had rusted through. And I just had filled the tank (32 gal).
Coincidentally a neighbor came by, we got a jack and a put on a ratchet strap I had. Limped home.
Looks easy enough for a non-mechanic like me to fix. Looking for a local source now.
Welcome to the the party IMG_6329.jpegIMG_6330.jpeg :laugh:

Surprised the heck out of me when it happened. And I only had a 1" strap on hand. Luckily only two miles to go. The parts will be in this morning, and I haven't crawled under yet. Are the bolts standard, or do the take something special? I'm thinking I want to replace them and the easiest way to remove them is with a cutoff wheel.

Anyone have thoughts on a Kubota b9200?
Contemplating one.
Is it 4X4? My cousin has two, a B and an L, not 4X4. They are great for mowing flats, plowing and tilling his garden. But my cheap China loader with 20HP diesel and 4X4 will walk the dog on just about any other task.

Yea, I tried it and like mosst of the times in the past it was a pathetic failure. I somehow just can't get the moves down enough to make it work.
Have you tried putting the saw on the ground, holding it down with your foot and pulling? I showed several people how to do this and their starting problems went away, This as they could get a full sharp pull and weren't trying to control the saw itself with their hands. I myself do it with my MS461 and MS661 when they, and I, are cold and not loosened up!

Surprised the heck out of me when it happened. And I only had a 1" strap on hand. Luckily only two miles to go. The parts will be in this morning, and I haven't crawled under yet. Are the bolts standard, or do the take something special? I'm thinking I want to replace them and the easiest way to remove them is with a cutoff wheel.
OOOO!! Sparks and gas. :rolleyes:

OOOO!! Sparks and gas. :rolleyes:
Yea, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I was going to heat the bolt with a propane torch, but I knew that was out. The bolt is 6" long (5/16"?) and there is only 3" of clearance between the frame and the bed to feed another bolt through. Could go with a 5" bolt. I hit it with some PB Blaster and I did get the nut to move. Thought the bolt, was turning, but the head isn't turning, so maybe it's welded to the frame. Soaking in more PB and will at least replace the nut.

IMG_1850.JPG

Thanks for the reminder, sometimes I'm not thinking clearly.

Latest posts

Back