Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... I feel every bicycle, motorcycle, automobile, hiking, tree felling, construction related mishap I ever had every day now... The gifts that keep on giving!

Perhaps the decomp has failed... ??
That's possible. I'll take it with me the next time I go shopping and have them change it.

Scrounging at Will's has halted for now as he has put cattle back in the paddock we were in along with his water buffalo. Said water buffalo is a cranky one apparently, Will said he once saw it toss another cow over a fence 😳 . He said we could still scrounge there, but it came with a health warning...

I do have plenty of uglies and noodlables to get through so at least I have an excuse to run a saw. A few showers around tomorrow but will hopefully be able to get out and sort/split/noodle what I have left from the Monstromint into stackables and horribles. There's stihl another trip there to go as well, Sunday might be the day. I don't think there will be a full overload left there but I need to do what I told the farmer (Bandy) I was going to do.

You had a 25in bar on the 461 and a 20in bar on the 661?

Pros and cons to the bar conundrum as always. I think I'll get the 36in bar for Limby and put the 25in bar on the 460. I'm hoping that I'm either strong enough or dumb enough that I don't notice the 460 getting nose heavy. But I won't get rid of the 20in bar and chains. Worst case scenario, I can revert to the original set-up.
When Dad was still in business and I was several decades younger, I had a 24” bar on my Homelite Super 1050. I got tired of guys running saws in the ground, then grabbing my saw and dulling it up. So, I stenciled “Joes saw“ on one side of the bar and “don’t touch“ on the other. Didn’t work, they still grabbed it. Then I started using the 1050 and I don‘t think any one ever touched that one again.

Too much talk about wood, saws, tractors. Time to get back to nature. It's spring, the deer are starting to drop their fawns. The Coyotes are picking them up just as fast!
g6aO8T2.jpg

No firewood for me today, just checking out some of the local hills on my bike ride today. The rivers and lakes are full with snow melt.
My property was the driest over the Memorial Day weekend WE that I have seen it in years. Usually there are 20 to 30 mud puddles on my logging roads that stay year-round and harbor frogs and salamanders and ice up in the winter. Only the largest one (which has never gone dry and can swallow ATVs) still has water, and a couple of others still had soft mud. Keep in mind, when we went up a month before, it rained the whole WE.

When we were up there, my 16 year old grandson used my MS261 to cut some small diameter firewood that was in the wood cradle. I was too intent on supervising to take any pictures.

My F-150 averaged 19.5 MPG with the ATV in the bed, which is 2-3 MPG better than it does with the winter oxygenated fuel and the Blizzack tires on it. Rte 17 has lots of steep hills that kill your mileage, as does the 2mi, unpaved, 4wd road going up to the cabin, so I was pretty happy with that #.

Interesting that it says 700 plus
Kinda like painting a rainbow on one :dumb:
Another pretty much useless "truck." The bed is too short and the payload capacity too small for anything for which I need a truck!
That's what trailers are for :yes:.
You could get to the grocery store really fast. :yes:
Yeah buddy.
Saw this one earlier today, 550am actually, surprisingly the pic came out alright. It's an old lighting, cool old trucks.
20230602_055422.jpg

Too much talk about wood, saws, tractors. Time to get back to nature. It's spring, the deer are starting to drop their fawns. The Coyotes are picking them up just as fast!
g6aO8T2.jpg
Shot a chipmunk last night with the 17HMR at around 55yds, looked like that except smaller, never found the tail lol.

Yeah buddy.
Saw this one earlier today, 550am actually, surprisingly the pic came out alright. It's an old lighting, cool old trucks.
View attachment 1087268
That and a Cyclone in the garage would be a fun pair.

Shot a chipmunk last night with the 17HMR at around 55yds, looked like that except smaller, never found the tail lol.
Hydrostatic shock does some interesting things... I shot a woodchuck with a 180 gr HP from a .44 magnum pistol one time... My then girlfriend and hunting buddy were with me. Upon inspection my girlfriend asked "Where's the fur?"

My property was the driest over the Memorial Day weekend WE that I have seen it in years. Usually there are 20 to 30 mud puddles on my logging roads that stay year-round and harbor frogs and salamanders and ice up in the winter. Only the largest one (which has never gone dry and can swallow ATVs) still has water, and a couple of others still had soft mud. Keep in mind, when we went up a month before, it rained the whole WE.

When we were up there, my 16 year old grandson used my MS261 to cut some small diameter firewood that was in the wood cradle. I was too intent on supervising to take any pictures.

My F-150 averaged 19.5 MPG with the ATV in the bed, which is 2-3 MPG better than it does with the winter oxygenated fuel and the Blizzack tires on it. Rte 17 has lots of steep hills that kill your mileage, as does the 2mi, unpaved, 4wd road going up to the cabin, so I was pretty happy with that #.
Yeah, it's the opposite here. I mean it's fairly dry where I live, but I don't have to go far up the hill to find snow. Water is running all over the roads up there and there is even water that's bubbling up out of the middle of the roads...tons of new potholes too.

Scrounging at Will's has halted for now as he has put cattle back in the paddock we were in along with his water buffalo. Said water buffalo is a cranky one apparently, Will said he once saw it toss another cow over a fence 😳 . He said we could still scrounge there, but it came with a health warning...
Can’t you just put up orange cones to keep the water buffalo at a safe distance?

Philbert

No firewood for me today, just checking out some of the local hills on my bike ride today. The rivers and lakes are full with snow melt. It's been a hectic week at work for me, I took a promotion, so just tying up loose ends at work with the transition. It was good to just get out and enjoy the outdoors today.

View attachment 1087211View attachment 1087212View attachment 1087213View attachment 1087214

Beautiful area!

And congratulations on the promo. Hope it works out well for ya. Job changes can be stressful OR less stressful. Hopefully the latter for you.

I got a new job a few months ago and absolutely love it! Feel blessed to be where I am at.

Yeah buddy.
View attachment 1087268
That's a new one on me. I had never heard of them. Had to google it

Great. Swapped teh 400 for the old MS 362 and couldn't get a 'pop' out of it even with a dose of carb cleaner. That is one easy starting saw. Guy who had it is known for practical jokes so.... I'll have a talk with him at the morning coffee call.

To top off a fun 3 hours cut/pile brush I married the new 32" bar =with a big, rotten willow. Almost all the way through the butt when it locked the tip solid. Tree was bent almost parallel to the ground, no way to do and undercut. My method....definitely not approved by any one but me... is to throw a chain binder on it just above the felling cut then cut straight down until the tree falls. Ussually works well but I didn't take into consideration the big bow in the tree. Trouble came when the tip met the ground. I'll be out there in the morning whittling away at the top. Not much left of the top. I cut/piled almost all of it this morning, what I could reach from the ground Mostly just the main log left. I was hoping to get some good rounds off it so the rotten butt was a surprise.

Latest posts

Back