Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the scrounging begin!:)4CAD2D5B-2F4A-498E-82C5-113993F5F3BA.jpeg

You guys ever tried veggie oil for bar oil? Boss talked me into trying it, I was pretty skeptical but it actually seems to work well so far. I was surprised it seems to stay on chain well and bar stays cooler. Or maybe the bar oil I was using is crap, lol. Sounds like it’s not good in cold or if left in tank for long periods though. Half price of bar oil here.

Let the scrounging begin!:)View attachment 910700

You guys ever tried veggie oil for bar oil? Boss talked me into trying it, I was pretty skeptical but it actually seems to work well so far. I was surprised it seems to stay on chain well and bar stays cooler. Or maybe the bar oil I was using is crap, lol. Sounds like it’s not good in cold or if left in tank for long periods though. Half price of bar oil here.
Only four tickets? You can only get one cord?

Let the scrounging begin!:)View attachment 910700

I use canola oil, it's a little thicker

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I've read you need to flush it out after use and clean under the clutch cover or else, as it's a drying oil, it gets very messy.
Just for you Neil. I was at the Ford national car show friday and saw this. Looks like it would be a nice scrounging vehicle.
20210604_120434.jpg20210604_120446.jpg

Free wood... almost delivered. Neighbor had a couple of trees taken down today and had it dumped behind her barn for me to get at my leisure. (Like probably when its not 90°.) She gets a cheaper rate on cutting, tree service doesn't have to waste time on it and pay to dump it, and I get free firewood. Everyone's a winner!

Oh, plus I made a new friend with the local tree service guy for future drops.
20210605_123044.jpg
@chipper1 I think it's that narrow leaf oak you like so much. :laugh:

Free wood... almost delivered. Neighbor had a couple of trees taken down today and had it dumped behind her barn for me to get at my leisure. (Like probably when its not 90°.) She gets a cheaper rate on cutting, tree service doesn't have to waste time on it and pay to dump it, and I get free firewood. Everyone's a winner!

View attachment 910777
@chipper1 I think it's that narrow leaf oak you like so much. :laugh:

Looks like it'll be fun to split!

I thought my log tray looked bad?
Should I take it off and use the press to straighten it out :p .
I think for the most part that's how it was when I got it.
It was angled up and I cut it and made it lay flat, still need to get the sides welded, but it works for now.

View attachment 910777
@chipper1 I think it's that narrow leaf oak you like so much.
:laugh:
Narrow leaf oak:laughing:.
That's a nice scrounge for sure, good number of wheelbarrow loads there.
It may be a bit before I head down your way for the scrounge I was planning on, I got a little distracted earlier this week :innocent:.
Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 1.33.17 PM.png

Yesterday I had to break out more of my specialty tools. The excursion was leaking a bit of coolant, found it to be the lower radiator hose had a hole rubbed in it by a bolt on the power steering gear box. The hose is crazy looking, it has a coupler in the middle with two smaller hoses that run to the oil cooler, which were very difficult to remove as was the engine block side. Good thing I have all the specialty tools :).
20210604_122736.jpg

Yesterday I had to break out more of my specialty tools. The excursion was leaking a bit of coolant, found it to be the lower radiator hose had a hole rubbed in it by a bolt on the power steering gear box. The hose is crazy looking, it has a coupler in the middle with two smaller hoses that run to the oil cooler, which were very difficult to remove as was the engine block side. Good thing I have all the specialty tools :).
View attachment 910879
I was ready to break out a torch and grinder yesterday while trying to change the oil on my truck. The shop that changed it in the winter must have torqued the filter to 300ftlbs!
77a7377d314912a2d898d5784ede9949.jpg

I was ready to break out a torch and grinder yesterday while trying to change the oil on my truck. The shop that changed it in the winter must have torqued the filter to 300ftlbs!
77a7377d314912a2d898d5784ede9949.jpg

While an overtighteted oil filter is a PITA, a filter that leaks or falls off is far worse from a shops perspective. We tell our techs to make sure to tighten one full after gasket contact. Looks like you got it off without having to resort to pounding a screwdriver through it to turn it. That's a win!

Back