Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rare selfie. Woke up at 3 this morning with a mean tummy ache. Got the wife to take me to er. Turns out I had an internal hernia, strangulating my intestine. Right into surgery for a nice gash right up the middle of my middle. Chicks dig scars right? Anyway, 4-5 days here then about 8 weeks at home not lifting more than 20 lbs. So you guys scrounge and post pics for me to slobber over.
512db41e44dda270b09d5a7b157e2940.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That's no good, Jeff, sending you my best. I think I preferred your other selfies where you are holding up a fish. I hope someone sends you a trailer load of wood. Get well soon, scrounger!

Here are some @LondonNeil - style state of the woodshed pics. I used Cowgirl's phone so the pics will be better.

19th Jun 3.jpg

Burning the middle bay currently. At the front of that bay there is a couple of half rows of big blue gum chunks, they're for burning on colder clear nights. Right bay has about 10 cubes of super-heavy grey and yellow box. That has been drying for 3 years now and that will be night burning wood starting next winter. Left bay is 2 year old hardwood, mostly local peppermint and manna gum with a couple of cubes of English oak in the front.

19th Jun 6.jpg

In front of that it last week's minor peppermint scrounge from Will's place, I'll be adding to this later on today hopefully.

19th Jun 4.jpg

To the right is a cube and a bit of peppermint drying out on a pallet and behind that is maybe a couple of cubes of blue gum and peppermint splits that are waiting to be taken to my brother in Melbourne.

19th Jun 5.jpg

Around the side I have a couple of cubes of nice peppermint drying out. The kids stacked it, I'm surprised it is stihl standing but so far, so good.

19th Jun 2.jpg

Behind the night burning blue gum in the middle bay is the regular burning peppermint and candlebark medium density hardwood :sweet:.

19th Jun 7.jpg

Jeff, I pledge to scrounge hard and often to help you get through this. Now all we need is for @H-Ranch to get the wheelbarrow loaded up and you'll be set.

:chainsaw:

Attachments

• 19th Jun 5.jpg
    19th Jun 5.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
Well, my older Daughter decided to be about 2 weeks early ... and had a baby Boy today! Grandchild #5!!!

Both are doing well. She lives up in NH. This is her first, and she is 43!
Congrats on the grandbaby!

Rare selfie. Woke up at 3 this morning with a mean tummy ache. Got the wife to take me to er. Turns out I had an internal hernia, strangulating my intestine. Right into surgery for a nice gash right up the middle of my middle. Chicks dig scars right? Anyway, 4-5 days here then about 8 weeks at home not lifting more than 20 lbs. So you guys scrounge and post pics for me to slobber over.

Hope you get better soon, glad you're getting the care you needed.
I diced up the cherry tree in the gravel pit today, then split the larger ones and put it in the woodshed for 2022/23. I also found a round of black locust and a noodled round of red oak to split and add to make the bucket a bit more full. Had to lean to the right to keep the sun off my lens, the angle made it look like my split wood pile top is on the load lol.
Hope the pictures help :).
Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 11.23.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-18 at 11.24.24 PM.png

Well @JustJeff , I hope the morphine is easing the pain. Just for you, I went to pick up some scrounge this morning, I cut this last week as part of clean up after bonfire tops scrounging.

19th Jun 9.jpg

But to get there, I had to tackle some ferocious and deadly Aussie wildlife, just barely escaped with my life after they tried to lick me to death.

19th Jun 8.jpg

So I roughly split the peppermint and loaded up an laid a few bonfire poles on top.

19th Jun 10.jpg

There was a bit more than I expected so I chucked the rest in the ute.

19th Jun 11.jpg

A bit of rake work and you'd never know anything happened.

19th Jun 12.jpg

And a gratuitous pic of the Cowcat Mk II enjoying the warmth.

19th Jun 1.jpg

Take it easy, mate. We'll scrounge for you!

That sucks Jeff. Get well quick. I won't be able to keep up with @Cowboy254 on scrounging pics but I'll give it a shot.

Now all we need is for @H-Ranch to get the wheelbarrow loaded up and you'll be set.
I'll get a WB load later today from THE rope swing tree. For now I'll post a JustJeff picture tour to help pass the time in the hospital.
Box elder and maple that needs to be processed:
20210619_063543.jpg
A few pieces of left over cherry:
20210619_063611.jpg
Future project wood (or firewood):
20210619_063622.jpg
Yard oak tree completely defoliated by gypsy moths within a week:
20210619_063700.jpg
Oops, how did this get in here? Sorry, wrong folder!
20210619_073345.png
Miscellaneous black locust:
20210619_063806.jpg
4' tall catalpa tree to transplant:
20210619_064023.jpg
Dead yard cherry to take down as soon as @chipper1 teaches me his secret double helix back cut method:
20210619_064340.jpg
Gypsy moths are BAD this year:
20210619_064549.jpg
More pics later for your viewing pleasure...

I bought my Upstate property because the timber co sold the mtn after a gypsy moth infestation. Got real bad one time after that (so bad the wife and I came home after just an hour when we had planned a WE).

But more recently, I think they have been trying to control them somewhat here in NY. I believe they have 7 yr cycles.

Hernias suck! Glad you caught it before it turned into something worse. Get well soon!
Well, my older Daughter decided to be about 2 weeks early ... and had a baby Boy today! Grandchild #5!!!

Both are doing well. She lives up in NH. This is her first, and she is 43!
Congrats on the new grandbaby!
That's no good, Jeff, sending you my best. I think I preferred your other selfies where you are holding up a fish. I hope someone sends you a trailer load of wood. Get well soon, scrounger!

Here are some @LondonNeil - style state of the woodshed pics. I used Cowgirl's phone so the pics will be better.

View attachment 913351

Burning the middle bay currently. At the front of that bay there is a couple of half rows of big blue gum chunks, they're for burning on colder clear nights. Right bay has about 10 cubes of super-heavy grey and yellow box. That has been drying for 3 years now and that will be night burning wood starting next winter. Left bay is 2 year old hardwood, mostly local peppermint and manna gum with a couple of cubes of English oak in the front.

View attachment 913352

In front of that it last week's minor peppermint scrounge from Will's place, I'll be adding to this later on today hopefully.

View attachment 913353

To the right is a cube and a bit of peppermint drying out on a pallet and behind that is maybe a couple of cubes of blue gum and peppermint splits that are waiting to be taken to my brother in Melbourne.

View attachment 913356

Around the side I have a couple of cubes of nice peppermint drying out. The kids stacked it, I'm surprised it is stihl standing but so far, so good.

View attachment 913359

Behind the night burning blue gum in the middle bay is the regular burning peppermint and candlebark medium density hardwood :sweet:.

View attachment 913358

Jeff, I pledge to scrounge hard and often to help you get through this. Now all we need is for @H-Ranch to get the wheelbarrow loaded up and you'll be set.

:chainsaw:
Keep the awesome pics/posts coming. I've learned two Australian words this week, knackered and moggy.
I'll get a WB load later today from THE rope swing tree. For now I'll post a JustJeff picture tour to help pass the time in the hospital.
View attachment 913467
View attachment 913466
View attachment 913465
View attachment 913464
View attachment 913459
View attachment 913463
View attachment 913462
Dead yard cherry to take down as soon as @chipper1 teaches me his secret double helix back cut method:
View attachment 913461
View attachment 913460
I'm about to try your technique for hauling firewood. I have a hophornbeam/ironwood branch to cut up.

Been so busy working I haven't had a chance to touch a saw. Wife and I both worked this weekend so we dropped the kids off at her mom's place last night. Right before we left her grandma calls and said a limb dropped across the lane,(her.mother recently moved in with grandma to keep after her) but since we were coming she would let us (me) deal with it lol. So I tossed the little dewalt saw and two batteries in the back of the Honda and off we went. We got down pretty late so I didn't take any pictures of the limb, nothing huge, about 8" beech. The little dewalt needs a better chain, but it made quick work of it.
20210618_185424.jpg
Gonna see if my stihl bar will fit off the 192tc. If so this chain is gonna hit the trash can. Chain is good and sharp, the darn thing just cuts slow.
If I would have had the truck would have tossed the beech and brought it home. But with time against me (45min drive one way) and having to get up at 4am for work today I wasn't about to spend anymore time cutting it small enough to fit in the back of the Honda. I just may grab it today when we run down to pick the kids up.

View attachment 913467
View attachment 913466
View attachment 913465
View attachment 913464
View attachment 913459
View attachment 913463
View attachment 913462
View attachment 913461
View attachment 913460
The guy I sold my latest zero turn to said the moths ate his whole 30 acres of woods, they can see right thru it to the back of the property :(. I sure hope it(and yours come back. Yesterday I went to do a pruning job and the woman's brand new arborvitae' were eaten up by deer, the landscaper told her that they were deer resistant :nofunny:, what a load of crap, all one has to do is look at them in the area and it's clear to see they aren't.
Do I need to stop by and show you the double helix back cut. We'll be running thru there real soon, I'll even let you run the wheelbarrow :laugh:.

Do I need to stop by and show you the double helix back cut. We'll be running thru there real soon, I'll even let you run the wheelbarrow
The cherry was a project I thought my dad and I might do when he was here last weekend, but we ended up working on the fairing on his motorhome. The tree is not urgent yet, but the longer it is dead near the barn the more important it will become. My other project has priority right now, but rain is not helping. No need for the double helix training quite yet.

Been so busy working I haven't had a chance to touch a saw. Wife and I both worked this weekend so we dropped the kids off at her mom's place last night. Right before we left her grandma calls and said a limb dropped across the lane,(her.mother recently moved in with grandma to keep after her) but since we were coming she would let us (me) deal with it lol. So I tossed the little dewalt saw and two batteries in the back of the Honda and off we went. We got down pretty late so I didn't take any pictures of the limb, nothing huge, about 8" beech. The little dewalt needs a better chain, but it made quick work of it.
View attachment 913488
Gonna see if my stihl bar will fit off the 192tc. If so this chain is gonna hit the trash can. Chain is good and sharp, the darn thing just cuts slow.
If I would have had the truck would have tossed the beech and brought it home. But with time against me (45min drive one way) and having to get up at 4am for work today I wasn't about to spend anymore time cutting it small enough to fit in the back of the Honda. I just may grab it today when we run down to pick the kids up.
Most times a little tuning of the chain goes a long way.
I like to remove the safety humps and then add a little hook, just a little or they get grabby quick. If you get too much hook you can grab one size larger file and hit the cutters to remove a bit of the hook.
Any pictures of the chain.

What is this double helix back cut you speak of? Ive never heard of such sorcery!
The double helix is a name I made up after looking at some of the cuts on downed trees from one of my new best friends a year or two ago. Still can't figure out what they were trying to do. But I did get free firewood out of the deal and didn't have to be there for the carnage of cutting the trees down. LOL

Latest posts

Back