Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prolly a Michigan thing. :laughing: I'll bet it don't even come close to a good farmer notch.:surprised3:
What's funny is sometimes on a smaller tree I have to use a little sloped backcut(aka farmers cut) just to get a bore cut that won't nip the back all the way thru. We call it a triple helix then :lol: .
What is this double helix back cut you speak of? Ive never heard of such sorcery!
Here's the one I did on the cottonwood this week, it's actually called a step cut.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 12.12.30 AM.png
Looks like it works for me, just like hooked on phonics ;).

Most times a little tuning of the chain goes a long way.
I like to remove the safety humps and then add a little hook, just a little or they get grabby quick. If you get too much hook you can grab one size larger file and hit the cutters to remove a bit of the hook.
Any pictures of the chain.
I did touch it up real quick before we left it makes nice chips but just cuts slow, I haven't spent much time on it as it's the "om too lazy to get a real saw out" saw. Lol. I'll get some pics up when I get home tonight.

All the talk of the unsafe felling techniques reminds me of how I was taught by my grandpa(a farmer). He used the farmer technique so that's what I did until I misjudged the weight/lean on a big ash tree and it sat back on my bar. I couldn't wedge it so I had to pull it over with a come along. That led me to this site and the wealth of knowledge that you fellas have. I'm lucky I didn't get hurt or worse during my untrained time cutting wood. Thanks for changing my ways!

I still see the farmer notches in fence rows that are being cleaned up around here. Unfortunately, it's a deeply ingrained technique.

Well, it's certainly not as overused as the farmer notch, but I would say the end results are just as unpredictable! :laugh:
I so wish I had pictures of how my old man fells trees. He does the old angled down back cut, tiny little notch, and then uses the pray or run method it it goes south...... I'll never forget when he got my brand new (at the time) 390xp caught in a poplar we (he) was felling at my house right after we bought it. Fortunately there was another big poplar that it got hung up on right behind it, and we had equipment big enough, close enough to drag it down and off the other tree. Ended up bending that brand spanked new 24" bar and chain. Man was I pissed.

Rare selfie. Woke up at 3 this morning with a mean tummy ache. Got the wife to take me to er. Turns out I had an internal hernia, strangulating my intestine. Right into surgery for a nice gash right up the middle of my middle. Chicks dig scars right? Anyway, 4-5 days here then about 8 weeks at home not lifting more than 20 lbs. So you guys scrounge and post pics for me to slobber over.
512db41e44dda270b09d5a7b157e2940.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Rare selfie. Woke up at 3 this morning with a mean tummy ache. Got the wife to take me to er. Turns out I had an internal hernia, strangulating my intestine. Right into surgery for a nice gash right up the middle of my middle. Chicks dig scars right? Anyway, 4-5 days here then about 8 weeks at home not lifting more than 20 lbs. So you guys scrounge and post pics for me to slobber over.
512db41e44dda270b09d5a7b157e2940.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
get well jeff and we are pulling an lifting for you bud! rest up while your at it !! BTW! some people will try anything to get free scrounged firewood brought to them ! "WONT THEY JEFF" ???? . LOL

I did touch it up real quick before we left it makes nice chips but just cuts slow, I haven't spent much time on it as it's the "om too lazy to get a real saw out" saw. Lol. I'll get some pics up when I get home tonight.
If it's throwing nice chips and it's not slowing way down it may just be all it's gonna do.
I so wish I had pictures of how my old man fells trees. He does the old angled down back cut, tiny little notch, and then uses the pray or run method it it goes south...... I'll never forget when he got my brand new (at the time) 390xp caught in a poplar we (he) was felling at my house right after we bought it. Fortunately there was another big poplar that it got hung up on right behind it, and we had equipment big enough, close enough to drag it down and off the other tree. Ended up bending that brand spanked new 24" bar and chain. Man was I pissed.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

The chain on my pole saw must have gotten pinched a little last night or today pruning a locust. It has a bent link, so much so that the chain is riding above the bar rail, I'll need to see if I can straighten it. Even if I can straighten it I will make sure I have another in my box(I probably do) in case this one breaks. The .043 chains are fast on little saws:chainsaw:, but they are prone to breaking, and bending :cry:.

Here's a view for you Jeff. It's Lake Michigan from Manitowoc. I often take it for granted
View attachment 913540
I remember Manitowoc from years ago doing work at Pt. Beach. Seemed like a nice area. We didn't have time to make it to the beach......and the outages were spring or fall when the weather wasn't typically all that nice!

Prolly a Michigan thing. :laughing: I'll bet it don't even come close to a good farmer notch.:surprised3:
Usually when someone says "It's a Michigan thing" nowadays, it's a reference to masks, weed, or free money aimed at the hipsters from Ann Arbor, and it sure reflects poorly on the rest of the good common folks who reside here.

get a WB load later today from THE rope swing tree.
Went a little late on my big project so had to hustle to get this in before dark but couldn't let a fellow scrounger down when he needs his fix of photos. You can see how horizontal this big branch was by the moss on it. It's probably an inch thick in places. There's still over 30' of trunk and big branch left to cut up plus a few rounds and smaller branches to collect.20210619_210238.jpg

Did a little more scrounging this afternoon. Put a tank through the MS650. Bucked and noodled a decent sized ash. Felt like a little workout so I split some too.View attachment 913554
You've got a Husky scabbard on a Stihl saw? Isn't that a little sacrilegious? :laugh:

Well, my older Daughter decided to be about 2 weeks early ... and had a baby Boy today! Grandchild #5!!!

Both are doing well. She lives up in NH. This is her first, and she is 43!
Congrats!

That’s two years older than me! I love babies but I’m hoping I’m done having kids. It’s definitely something to think about when I’m dating again as gals (especially younger ones) may be looking for kids/more kids.

I remember Manitowoc from years ago doing work at Pt. Beach. Seemed like a nice area. We didn't have time to make it to the beach......and the outages were spring or fall when the weather wasn't typically all that nice.
My brother works a Point Beach. Small world! Yeah, the Lakeshore definitely has long cold damp springs. Fall seems to be about the same as the rest of the state. The first hard freeze is usually a bit later than inland though.
You've got a Husky scabbard on a Stihl saw? Isn't that a little sacrilegious? :laugh:
It is but I couldn't resist the price. I happened to be at a dealer who was selling them for $6 each. I figured the saw wouldn't care, it already has an aftermarket clutch cover and Woodland Pro bar on it.:oops: It stihl cuts!:chainsaw:

Back