Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we were in College, my brother and I both worked for the Moving Company during the summers, and we both did some driving, straight trucks, Tractor Trailers, Vans with trailers, etc. It was a real learning experience. You learned how to back up anything and everything.

Back then all of the tractors were standard transmission and required double clutching, and we even had one old tractor w/o power steering or brakes!

The Boss/Owner was a cheap SOB, and would often try to cut corners. One time he sent a straight truck (with 2 guys) to WV knowing the truck had bad brakes. The guys lost control of the truck on a steep downhill and had to bail from the truck. One broke his arm, the other had less serious injuries. The Boss's only concern was if we could teach the guy with the broken arm how to operate a fork lift so he could keep working!

I remember the 1st time I took a tractor trailer through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel I was terrified! Was both worried about hitting the top and crushing the little cars that were dying to get around me!

Our warehouse was in the old Anaconda building in Hastings on Hudson. You had to back the truck up from the road and turn 90* to get to our loading dock. A lot of the over the road drivers from out West could not do it, I can't tell you how many trucks we backed in for their drivers.

There were also a lot of Parkways in Westchester County with low bridges. Out of the area drivers would ask someone for directions and end up in big trouble! Remember, this was the early 70s, no cell phones or Navigation.

The fire trucks showed up when one log was still rocking and the front tire was still spinning (there’s video from a freaked out girl in her car adjacent to a log), the fire trucks must have been on their way down from a fire and just happened along at the right moment.

That's a nice load.
How's the new ride pull it loaded up like that.
Oddly enough that truck didn't come equipped with a trailer brake controller. I let gravity and diesel engine compression get it home. The transmission can't get worse, so I used it. Going on vacation next week, dealer adding the controller and a couple other things I asked for. I shouldn't have loaded it up so much, I have at least another load or two up there. It was heavy.

Shea
When I get back I have some big chunks in town to pick up, new truck will get that and the gravel work. Have a good friend that is interested in seeing how the truck handles the heavy loads. 7.3, 4:30 gears, 10 speeds trans...... should be fine I think.

Oddly enough that truck didn't come equipped with a trailer brake controller. I let gravity and diesel engine compression get it home. The transmission can't get worse, so I used it. Going on vacation next week, dealer adding the controller and a couple other things I asked for. I shouldn't have loaded it up so much, I have at least another load or two up there. It was heavy.

Shea
When I get back I have some big chunks in town to pick up, new truck will get that and the gravel work. Have a good friend that is interested in seeing how the truck handles the heavy loads. 7.3, 4:30 gears, 10 speeds trans...... should be fine I think.
When the loads get heavy you need trailer brakes, especially in the hills you guys have.
I didn't know they were back to a 7.3 again, how long have they been using those.

I did pressure test and piping on a 1919 Robert Bell. Here in Canada, they are pressure vessels under the ASME code and must be tested and certified when returning to service and annually inspection after that. I was fortunate enough to be involved with a project restoration done by a local museum. Now they run the tractor several times a year at steam shows and events. They invited me to come and help operate it and I got to drive it. Really cool. I donated some hard maple.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

7.3 is a pushrod gas engine.
Wow, didn't know that.
I'm obviously out of the loop on new vehicles, and I probably won't be catching up anytime soon lol.
Supposed to be pretty decent for towing. Only thing bad I've heard is you need deep,full pockets at the gas pump. :crazy2:
Can't be any worse than my excursion with the v-10. This last tank was 9.9 calculated, 10.8 on the lie-O-meter.
Been seeing some crazy prices on the used trucks, just saw a nice 98 suburban for 10k, it only had 90k miles on it though, so in comparison it's a bit cheaper than many. I was telling my wife I should have dumped 2k into my old one, it would have been worth 6-7k this yr.
I can't believe the prices on pretty much anything right now :oops:, this guy felt the same way and decided to say something:lol:.
Ask @Lionsfan , he could probably pick some up for you if needed for the crops lol.

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.41.07 PM.png

Been seeing some funny CL ads recently, I thought of you when I saw this one :laughing:.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 7.24.00 PM.png

Here in Canada, they are pressure vessels under the ASME code and must be tested and certified when returning to service and annually inspection after that.

I overheard the operator saying that this boiler was actually new, and it needs to be inspected every two years.

Philbert

I overheard the operator saying that this boiler was actually new, and it needs to be inspected every two years.

Philbert
Pressure relief valve was #150 so we test hydrostatic (water pump) to 1.5X=225psi. My pressure tickets get me into some interesting things. Did pressure piping and certification on a hyperbaric chamber too. They offered to take me on a dive in it but I declined. Lol. I don't even like diving down in the deep end of a pool!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Wow, didn't know that.
I'm obviously out of the loop on new vehicles, and I probably won't be catching up anytime soon lol.

Can't be any worse than my excursion with the v-10. This last tank was 9.9 calculated, 10.8 on the lie-O-meter.
Been seeing some crazy prices on the used trucks, just saw a nice 98 suburban for 10k, it only had 90k miles on it though, so in comparison it's a bit cheaper than many. I was telling my wife I should have dumped 2k into my old one, it would have been worth 6-7k this yr.
I can't believe the prices on pretty much anything right now :oops:, this guy felt the same way and decided to say something:lol:.
Ask @Lionsfan , he could probably pick some up for you if needed for the crops lol.

View attachment 920114

Been seeing some funny CL ads recently, I thought of you when I saw this one :laughing:.

View attachment 920113
The question I have is who the hell has the free time to take pictures of a pile of dog **** and list it on CL?? The world simply is not right nowadays.

The question I have is who the hell has the free time to take pictures of a pile of dog **** and list it on CL?? The world simply is not right nowadays.
Probably the same type of guy who has time to post a picture of an ad with said poo in it :cheers:.
I just got a call from a local number, I said hello, he says hi, I said who's this, he says Nate, I say Nate who I'm sorry, he says you probably called about something on CL, I said yep probably but I'm not sure what as I've made a few calls today, he says okay well if you don't know, then he hangs up :rolleyes:.
Found a deal on a zero turn, seems they wear out a set of tires every 12 miles or so LOL.

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 7.52.38 PM.png

Supposed to be pretty decent for towing. Only thing bad I've heard is you need deep,full pockets at the gas pump. :crazy2:
True, but for the average guy pulling a trailer on the weekends and not actually working the truck I think it's a better choice than the 8k dollar diesel upgrade. We've had customers complain about their older diesel trucks with low miles when they need an expensive repair. All the fuel savings go out the window then. Granted you sure can't beat a diesel for pulling large loads. Takes some of the white knuckle out of the trip. For my needs a gas 1 ton would be perfect.

Back