Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what your guys take on cbn wheels for a grinder. Been sharpening quite a lot here recently, my .325 stone is junk after years of use and my 3/8 stone is about half good yet. Having a hard time justifying $200.00 to the wife to get wheels I'll likely never have to replace again.
I was not impressed with the CBN wheels I tried. At $15 - 20 for aluminum oxide (A/O) wheels, I am with your wife. (Sorry).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382187752377?epid=24047366455&hash=item58fc2a4bb9:g:mtMAAOSwzahZh0WZ
Philbert

First saw was a 33cc craftsman which for $35 ran long enough. Then I got serious and bought the biggest saw they had at TSC with a 20" "blade"! Boy I thought I had something. While googling how to sharpen a chain, I came across this site and went down the chainsaw rabbit hole. Couple huskys and stihls later (like em both) I still have that poulan 5020 from TSC. As soon as it craps out I'm all horny for a ms261.... But it just won't quit. Stihl rs chain and removing the screen and opening up the muffler a bit makes it run pretty good. Cut probably 50 cord with it so far. Some pretty fair deals have come up for used 50cc saws locally but this one is my first real saw and just feels right in my hands. So until it craps out.......

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

First saw was a 33cc craftsman which for $35 ran long enough. Then I got serious and bought the biggest saw they had at TSC with a 20" "blade"! Boy I thought I had something. While googling how to sharpen a chain, I came across this site and went down the chainsaw rabbit hole. Couple huskys and stihls later (like em both) I still have that poulan 5020 from TSC. As soon as it craps out I'm all horny for a ms261.... But it just won't quit. Stihl rs chain and removing the screen and opening up the muffler a bit makes it run pretty good. Cut probably 50 cord with it so far. Some pretty fair deals have come up for used 50cc saws locally but this one is my first real saw and just feels right in my hands. So until it craps out.......

To funny. I've got a 5020 that won't expire also. No idea how many cord it has cut. All of it:surprised3: My only ***** is the hot restart problem mine has and the poor air filter seal. I've tuned the saw many times and still fight hot restarts. Otherwise it's been a great value. I might have to do the muff alterations...... Hmmmmm. Out to the shed I say!

Second trailer load.
20210805_160221.jpg
Probably could have made what will end up as three loads into two big loads, but as someone here posted a while back about abusing trailers, "Don't get greedy." Plus I had to load quickly to be done in time to pick up my daughter. So load three will be done tomorrow or over the weekend.

And I made ANOTHER new best friend. The guy loading is the neighbor to where the logs are. He's one of those guys that is just an absolute pleasure to talk with. He has some acreage and offered to call me directly when he has trees down.

To funny. I've got a 5020 that won't expire also. No idea how many cord it has cut. All of it:surprised3: My only ***** is the hot restart problem mine has and the poor air filter seal. I've tuned the saw many times and still fight hot restarts. Otherwise it's been a great value. I might have to do the muff alterations...... Hmmmmm. Out to the shed I say!
I put a little bead of loctite gasket replacement around the filter. It stays gooey and seals great. I wipe it off and replace it every year. This saw is really sensitive to fines on the filter and will run like crap when it starts to clog up. I keep a little brush in my saw box for cleaning it on long saw days. Mine starts great once hot, little half yank on the cord.

I was not impressed with the CBN wheels I tried. At $15 - 20 for aluminum oxide (A/O) wheels, I am with your wife. (Sorry).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382187752377?epid=24047366455&hash=item58fc2a4bb9:g:mtMAAOSwzahZh0WZ
Philbert
Hey Philbert, I though I had read you were not a fan of CBN. When you say not impressed are you talking in terms of value for money or money a side just flat out not as good as the green wheels?
I have a Tecomec with the pink wheels and I’m happy with them. What characteristics do you find good/better about these green wheels do they grind nicer, not clog up as fast, give a better finish?

Kinda' what I thought. Maybe invest in some tires???
He does need tires too, He isn’t a fan of anything aggressive because of the noise. Being a 2wd, that truck needs all the help it can get. 2wd with a posi is still worthless for anything but a hard surface.

A 2wd with mud tires on the rear is a decent vehicle...obviously with limitations but a far cry from trying to get traction on soft ground with wimpy street tires. Keep the tires rotated frequently and noise isn't an issue.
I don’t think so personally. I’ll never own another 2wd truck, suv, tractor or hell at this point a car! Getting ready to pick up an Audi s4 for the wife. 2wd sucks. A 2wd that’s locked with mud tires still won’t go where a 4x4 with open diffs will. Fortunately both my t4r and tractor are not only 4wd but have rear lockers on both.

I haven't owned a 2wd vehicle in 15 years, but I went anywhere I wanted and don't recall being stuck very often in the 2wd trucks I owned in the past unless I was asking for it. A good set of snow tires, some weight in the ass end and a little bit of common sense goes a long ways.

Tires make a huge difference for sure, I’ve had too many 2wds stuck to ever consider one again. Sometimes you don’t have a line choice. My buddy tried like hell tonight because I had to drag him up the hill a few years ago, the last time his truck went down the hill. It is what it is and I’ll never let him live it down. The funny part is, he has a 2017 f250 that is a 4x4 but won’t put miles on it haha.

Hey Philbert, I though I had read you were not a fan of CBN. When you say not impressed are you talking in terms of value for money or money a side just flat out not as good as the green wheels?
I have a Tecomec with the pink wheels and I’m happy with them. What characteristics do you find good/better about these green wheels do they grind nicer, not clog up as fast, give a better finish?
Couple of things: First, I am not opposed to CBN / ABN / borazon type wheels. Guys have been praising them on sites like these for many, many years. Originally, these were the segmented DinaSaw wheels which sold for about $260 back then, via Bailey's and others:
Screen shot 2021-08-05 at 6.54.33 PM.png
http://www.dinasaw.com.au/cyclone-abn-grinding-wheels/
Then, the $100 - $120 ones became available, and more affordable. Some of these might be good too. The pair I bought from Diamond Wheel was dissapointing, and they weren't very helpful when I contacted them for help. They suggested that maybe I did not have much experience with a chain grinder.

On a positive note, they generate less dust, since the wheel does not wear the same way that an A/O or resinoid wheel does, so better if used indoors (I try to grind outdoors to avoid the dust, smell, and sparks). But I could not grind any faster, and the cutter finish appeared rougher. I could still 'burn' a cutter if I was not careful. Also, since they hardly 'wear', the diameter stays consistent, and there is no need to periodically re-center you grinder (something that not everybody does anyway).
See Post # 148 in this thread for more details:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/511a-grinder-improvements-tweaks.197073/page-8
If I use good quality wheels, and regularly dress them (lightly about once per loop) I get good results. Plus they are less expensive, and I can dress the edges to custom profiles if I want, for specific chains, to experiment, etc. I did not notice a significant difference between the 'pink' and 'green' wheels.

Just for reference, the Resinoid Wheel Thread:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/resinoid-grinder-wheels.256733/
Philbert

Latest posts

Back