Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone want me to pick this up for them, not far from me.
It will probably be there a while unless someone desperate for wood with an OWB see's the ad.
View attachment 929571
I'd be on that like a shot if it were within 30 miles of me. Looks to be all hardwood. Iburn a lot of willow and poplar as that is about all that is available regularly. I lucked into a batch of Locust Borer killed locust back in the 90s and 00s. Still have some 60 cord of that still in the stash.

I'd be on that like a shot if it were within 30 miles of me. Looks to be all hardwood. Iburn a lot of willow and poplar as that is about all that is available regularly. I lucked into a batch of Locust Borer killed locust back in the 90s and 00s. Still have some 60 cord of that still in the stash.
looks more like pine to me.

Harvested my Butternut squash today. Got 16 and still have some green ones on, which is not too bad considering I started with 12 plants in 6 mounds and an early T Storm took out one mound and several of the "doubles". All the ones harvested look to be in good condition.

And yes, those are new Shagbark Hickory handles on the wheelbarrow! One of the Maple ones broke when I loaded it heavy with gravel. Hopefully the Watco Teak Oil will protect them from decay!

Attachments

• IMG_20210915_161554076.jpg
    IMG_20210915_161554076.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210915_161605947_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210915_161605947_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210915_161617230_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210915_161617230_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210915_161631673.jpg
    IMG_20210915_161631673.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
Harvested my Butternut squash today. Got 16 and still have some green ones on, which is not too bad considering I started with 12 plants in 6 mounds and an early T Storm took out one mound and several of the "doubles". All the ones harvested look to be in good condition.

And yes, those are new Shagbark Hickory handles on the wheelbarrow! One of the Maple ones broke when I loaded it heavy with gravel. Hopefully the Watco Teak Oil will protect them from decay!
The Wadca!!! (Reference to Buckin Billy Ray)

Camera on my phone stinks, but I picked up this pile of pine in West Philadelphia. Happend to be driving through to take my daughter to a doctors appointment, saw it and did a quick U-Turn to swing back and load it up.

Not my preference but split easy and will be perfect to burn for fire pits.

9661C914-8FDD-4BD1-9817-14EE51A71A07.jpeg

Harry,
You have 60 cord of locust stashed, and you're burning willow and poplar? Are you planning to live to 115 yrs? You are my hero--still going strong at 86. What are you saving the locust for?

I wouldn't burn willow or poplar on a bet. Turned down a good pile of aspen (poplar family) yesterday.

Maybe willow is different in your part of the world, but I wouldn't leave my driveway for that crap. And it grows on my property and up and down the creek.

(Yeah, that stuff looks like pine to me.)

I think it's about 5 min from my house, but I have a good amount of wood here already. It's all pine, but there are two small oaks on the left side front of the picture, and some other hardwoods behind the still standing pine in the background :). Once I get the current split pile delivered then I'll start bringing some home, I'm trying hard not to make the place look any worse than it already does.

Harry,
You have 60 cord of locust stashed, and you're burning willow and poplar? Are you planning to live to 115 yrs? You are my hero--still going strong at 86. What are you saving the locust for?

I wouldn't burn willow or poplar on a bet. Turned down a good pile of aspen (poplar family) yesterday.

Maybe willow is different in your part of the world, but I wouldn't leave my driveway for that crap. And it grows on my property and up and down the creek.

(Yeah, that stuff looks like pine to me.)

I mix half willow or other 'junk' wood, half locust. I burn 6-7 cord a year. No, I probably don't need any more wood but the cut/split/stack/carry/clean up keeps me active and able to still swing saws around at 86. I won't give up the 'wooding' until I can't do the work any more.

I think it's about 5 min from my house, but I have a good amount of wood here already. It's all pine, but there are two small oaks on the left side front of the picture, and some other hardwoods behind the still standing pine in the background :). Once I get the current split pile delivered then I'll start bringing some home, I'm trying hard not to make the place look any worse than it already does.

Ah, pine around there must be different than here. Here a pine tree almost always has limbs visible on stems that high.

Got another trailer, this one is off my other uncle (the one I work for part time) should be bringing it home here soon, 16ft 10k lbs utility trailer. Fits the gap I have. I love my deck over but with a 20 foot deck and close to 10 foot of tounge it's a bugger to get into some places. This also sits lower to the ground so loading will be easier. Already has stake pockets, so I'm planning on making some short sides for it, and hopefully scrounge up enough steel to make a log arch for the back of it. So far it needs a coat of paint, brakes, winch, tool box and a decent jack. The jack will be first, then brakes and paint. I hate those stupid round with the handle mounted on top Jack's. Such a pain to use. The winch and sides will come as I get some money saved up. I'll take some pics after I pick it up.

Got another trailer, this one is off my other uncle (the one I work for part time) should be bringing it home here soon, 16ft 10k lbs utility trailer. Fits the gap I have. I love my deck over but with a 20 foot deck and close to 10 foot of tounge it's a bugger to get into some places. This also sits lower to the ground so loading will be easier. Already has stake pockets, so I'm planning on making some short sides for it, and hopefully scrounge up enough steel to make a log arch for the back of it. So far it needs a coat of paint, brakes, winch, tool box and a decent jack. The jack will be first, then brakes and paint. I hate those stupid round with the handle mounted on top Jack's. Such a pain to use. The winch and sides will come as I get some money saved up. I'll take some pics after I pick it up.
Sweet, look forward to seeing the pictures.
This morning I just sold a 17' tilt trailer, but don't worry, I snagged a 20' car hauler last week :). Its a 2021 and they hauled a lot of cars on it, many of which were scrap, it needs a good amount of work. They trashed the fenders and the just cut them off with a sawsall. The dovetail was broke from the main portion of the trailer/frame on the left side, and when they rewelded it it was lower than the other side by a couple inches :rare2:. They also welded on a janky cargo holder on the front that is made of small pieces of tube and they painted it with a metallic blue paint, I guess that's all they had in the garage at the time lol.

Back