Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never understood (or used) a vertical splitter. Mine's horizontal and makes sense to me.
Likewise. I can count on one hand the number of times mine has been verticle and then only long enough to bust a few rounds to big to lift. I like my back too much to do a lot of work bent over. Sitting down, I can't get leverage to spin a heavy round.

I use my splitter in vertical mode quite a bit. I know everyone is different but works great for me. I’m on my knees and use hookaroon to move rounds to splitter, don’t have to lift anything or bend over. Much faster and easier easier on my back, it’s like using a splitting table too the pieces that have to be split more than once are right there, don’t have to constantly bend over and pick them up. It’s nice to have both options.

My splitter works either way, but I much prefer horizontal, gravity seems to help you that way.

Not many rounds I can't lift, and if there are, I find it is just much faster to needle them with a ported 660. When they get that large, the splitter rarely fully splits them anyway, and you waste time spinning the pieces to split from both sides.
Sounds like my assessment as well.

I used my splitter in vertical mode once. It's a lot easier to use in horizontal mode for me. Anything I can't pick up gets noodled and split with a maul. We have some big trees so that happens pretty often. It's still easier than trying to push a big round into place under the vertical splitter.

I like the Australian vertical splitters (from the photos anyway!)

Philbert

I've always thought those looked cool too.
No reason to do everything the same way we've done it for yrs or that someone tells you it should be done if theres a way that works better for you.

We had some wind storms and tornadoes blow through in the past few days: felt very frustrated that I had this 'work' thing, with a 'schedule', limiting what I could do to help, even though it was close by. Was able to help a friend with a large cherry tree down, into a neighbor's yard today. All battery-powered removal: pole saw and chainsaw. Made for a quieter response on a suburban cul-de-sac.

Philbert

I heated my house with wood for 15 years, and never (then) owned a splitter. There were no Fiskars Splitting axes either!

Split 6-7 cord a year with a Monster Maul, Wedges and a 16 lb sledge. About the only time I noodled anything is when they gave me Elm (I actually rented a splitter that year, and it would NOT split the Elm!). After that, when I purchased my logs every year, I specified "no Elm"!

Back