Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about the slight glare, but here is the gun cabinet (milled Red Oak + plywood) with the tempered glass doors with stick on handles and a lock.
Real nice Mike.

I have my dads gun cabinet that he build in High School in the garage. My grandpa was an excellent carpenter so with his oversight it’s nicer than what you’d expect from a HS kid. Need to find a spot for it in the house. I think it will hold 12 guns and has two locking drawers and two non locking cupboards underneath the gun rack.

I don't scrounge firewood. I worked out a deal with a tree guy just down the street that brings me all the wood I can handle.
Here is some live oak and post oak he brought me last week.
IMG_5221.JPG
Here is a pile of red oak and post oak I have cut up and busted up and ready to finish splitting to size.
IMG_5232.JPG
Here is another pile I have started working on, cutting it to size and getting it ready for the splitter.

IMG_5229.JPG
Here is yet another pile of live oak that is cut to size and ready for the splitter.
IMG_5226.JPG

Here is a stump that I'm thinking about making a table out of.
IMG_5219.JPG

I don't scrounge firewood. I worked out a deal with a tree guy just down the street that brings me all the wood I can handle.
View attachment 944054
Here is a pile of red oak and post oak I have cut up and busted up and ready to finish splitting to size.
View attachment 944055
Here is another pile I have started working on, cutting it to size and getting it ready for the splitter.

View attachment 944056
Here is yet another pile of live oak that is cut to size and ready for the splitter.
View attachment 944057

View attachment 944058
The bottom of the trunk would make a pretty table. Wander how much shipping would be to central Indiana!! Lol

It isn't required. I just don't shoot very much at all & never want to go out into the woods without knowing where my rounds are going to end up. The Dane Co. sherriff's department has a nice setup for those of us who don't have access to a range.

I remember going to the zero range in the Army, if you don’t do that first you have low chance of hitting what you aim at.

View attachment 944054
View attachment 944055

View attachment 944056
View attachment 944057

View attachment 944058
Amazing, Thanks for the pics

You're a snowbird now???
Not yet….only here for a week. I’m hoping to buy a condo here though.

I’m assuming once my ex drops the dead ass boyfriend she’s with, she’ll move down here and the younger kids will finish out their schooling here. Regardless I’ll spend my winters in retirement here and rent the place out between now and then to pay for itself.

I’m 42 and my youngest is 8….depending on the lifestyle I want to live, I probably could retire at 55 but probably will make sense to work longer and build up the retirement.

OK, wood heat ,,,

The first night opening WE up at the cabin it was 30 when we went to bed and 22 in the am, and the cabin was perfect.

Second night it was 30 when we went to bed, so I loaded the stove again, but it stayed at 30! We had to open the windows upstairs and get out of our sleeping bags!

Those 55 gal drum wood stoves can sure put out some heat!

Cabin is 20 X 24 - 2 stories hight. Uninsulated, the walls are just 5/8" plywood.

We plan to insulate the ceiling, as when it gets to about 10* the stove has trouble keeping it warm. May also insulate the walls upstairs.
Are you thinking of typical Batts or does your area have DIY spray foam rigs you can rent?

A lot of you fellers are probably doing this by now but if you haven’t tried it, this fire starting idea will forever end your kindling gathering!!
Buy a bag of wood pellets for the pellet stoves. Put a coffee cup full in the stove, squirt on about a table spoon of rubbing alcohol, lamp oil or your favorite combustible on the pellets. Stack firewood around it, light it and forget it. You have a fire! I haven’t “gathered kindling “ since trying it.
I have a simple plumbers torch, and put splitter trash and spend a little time when splitting to make kindling out of the end cuts- my splits have to be 16" or 8" for my firepit or my little box stove- or my smoker. I get the right rounds, I split slabs and res-plit a stack of them to make small quality splits. I keep hundreds of nursery pots for large trees and they store well vertically and stack well enough.

Not yet….only here fir a week. I’m hoping to buy a condo here though.

I’m assuming once my ex drops the dead ass boyfriend she’s with, she’ll move down here and the younger kids will finish out their schooling here. Regardless I’ll spend my winters in retirement here and rent the place out between now and then to pay for itself.

I’m 42 and my youngest is 8….depending on the lifestyle I want to live, I probably could retire at 55 but probably will make sense to work longer and build up the retirement.
Destin is okay, maybe cheap. In Oak Hill FL land is 20 k an acre. Central east coast on the mosquito lagoon.

Got a nice little TOM Saturday, and just filleted out the breast, ate a tenderloin for dinner sauteed in olive oil with Montreal Seasoning. Smoked the the two breast halves Tuesday for liunch and dinner. I have a cherry tree i've been smoking with and it imparts so much smokey flavor, and smells good in a campfire, I have to go looking for the next cherry tree on my land. I was lucky this one was huge and standing dead four years ago, and solid. They canve quite rare i guess here in Florida, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the next one.

Destin is okay, maybe cheap. In Oak Hill FL land is 20 k an acre. Central east coast on the mosquito lagoon.
Definitely not cheap unless you are comparing to Miami! 1 bedroom beachfront condo are going to be 350-400k. I’ll probably end up with a small house or condo near the beach.

Latest posts

Back