Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy that was trespassing on my property (riding an ATV past posted signs) got the 10 point buck that I saw, and took it while hunting from the ATV. I had called DEC on him, but they did NOTHING!

I'm sick to my stomach!

Just the same, Mechanic Matt and I are going up tomorrow through Fri.
That sucks. My friend was heading to his deer stand last year, bow only area. He saw a buck on the ground, one well placed rifle shot behind the shoulder. Looked up and another one. Found four bucks. He called DNR and they had a guy out there in hours. John new more about guns and hunting than the young Ranger did. He pointed out all were well placed rifle shots, not shot gun, and all the deer were over 100 yards from any houses. Didn't really matter, it's a densely populated area and a no discharge zone. The Ranger thanked him, and added that there was not much they could do. But, with the info that John gave him, it would make you think the perp was a hunter. So, he was going to run the addresses that backed up to those houses and see if any of them had hunting licenses. All of those houses are McMansions, and we figured someone got tired of the deer eating all of their shrubs. In the end, nothing happened. johns mother passed and they sold her property, so that stand is history now.

I’ll keep you in mind. Don’t see many for sale any more.
Thanks.
Will do. The few and I'm mean 2 or 3 I seen have the 28" barrel. Most guys take em to the grave.
I see them often, just not always the best deal. I should have bought one last summer that was all painted camo, it was 300 and had a skeet barrel, I just couldn't run out to the subs of Detroit at the time.
I can shuck an 870 just as fast ... and it is lighter!
So can I:cheers:.
I've shot way more rounds through my first 870 than any 1100 I've owned.
I already have an 870 so...
A gas operated system is much smoother and better for teaching others as it doesn't kick as much. These days I wouldn't want to shoot 4 rounds of skeet or trap with a pump, just more kick than I want to deal with, but for a round or two I'd deal with it. Much like rubber vs spring mounts on a saw :).

Buddy I used to hunt with had a 1100 20 gauge youth model wow that was a sweet upland bird gun. Probly worth 1000$+ now. But I could be wrong. Hard to find guns for the 10-16 year old range anymore
I had a 20 gauge 1100 ducks unlimited special addition. It was an absolutely fantastic gun for Upland game but you were hampered by the fact you can only shoot two and three-quarter inch shells. I eventually sold it.

Actually made it into the woods for 4-5 hours today. Didn't see a thing. I'm sure having a coughing fit at the top of the ladder didn't help much as I was climbing into my stand. But, that was the only time I coughed the whole time I was out there.

Might go back out later, got pretty cold so now I'm trying to warm up. No one started a fire this morning, so I just got one lit.

And it’s their job to get involved.

I agree with the last part too. Up here they ignore the drug dealers cause they want the upline guys. Well if you put every drug dealer in the slammer, the uplines will leave the area.
We need to get back in the business of burying them without police interference

A guy that was trespassing on my property (riding an ATV past posted signs) got the 10 point buck that I saw, and took it while hunting from the ATV. I had called DEC on him, but they did NOTHING!

I'm sick to my stomach!

Just the same, Mechanic Matt and I are going up tomorrow through Fri.
Do you have any grand daughters Mike? :innocent:
1638440826963.png

Hey guys. My son got his drivers license yesterday so he’s very excited. I’m happy for him but not excited for him to be driving on winter roads-I won’t allow him to drive when the conditions are bad until he gets a few more miles under his belt. Insurance for my vehicles goes up by about $100 a month because he is now a driver. So he’ll be working that off each month doing projects for me.

I’m down near Minneapolis so I swung through Cabela’s because it was very near one of my appointments. Picked up a bore sighter tool as I’ve never had one and I need to mount a couple of scopes in the next few weeks.

Never understood the need for a bore sighter tool. I usually just remove the bolt and sight in thru the barrel. It gets you on paper. I have some of those lazer fake bullets you can chamber that are suppossed to get you close, but I have never even used them. I think the first actual bore sighting tool I saw was one that sticks in the end of the barrel and shoots a lazer. Had a gun sighted in with one at the gun store. Went to range to shoot and it wasnt even on paper. Jerked the bolt and sighted in that way and have never given a bore sight another thought.

I did the peek through the barrel trick once when installing a scope on a .22 mag. It worked but went through a box getting it dialed in. Had my 25-06 bore sighted at a local shop and I couldn't believe how close it was. Maybe just dumb luck but 3 shots to put it on zero and another 3 dinking with how high I wanted it. Gotta love a laser pointer. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Bore sighting through the bore not so easy with guns that aren’t bolt action…
Have you ever tried shining a flashlite thru the breech onto the wall. It works, but probably not as well as a lazer. I have some of the bullet lazers, but batteries are always dead. Good thing is the price of the bore sights are reasonable and like said, probably pay for themselfs in saved ammo.

Latest posts

Back