Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever tried shining a flashlite thru the breech onto the wall. It works, but probably not as well as a lazer. I have some of the bullet lazers, but batteries are always dead. Good thing is the price of the bore sights are reasonable and like said, probably pay for themselfs in saved ammo.
The bullet lasers are awesome but for a guy like me who always ends up with different calibers, it’s unfortunately not feasible.

No guns, no politics, just keeping things warm and going to my gym every day!View attachment 946087
Is that an Englander wood stove? I had one like that, the secondary tubes have a really cool fire show. Also like that fan. Is that one of those heat powered fans? Always wanted anted to try one to push the heat away from the stove. Nice setup

Yep, Mechanic Matt scored this 3 day trip, I'll post some more pics in a bit.

Opening WE I saw the buck and he didn't, this 3 day he saw them and I didn't, the way it goes.

He was actually watching a doe and a button when TWO bucks came in on them, and he got the lead one!

Glad there was another nice shooter up there for him. The 10 pointer had been the dominant buck on my property for 2 years, and on the other side of my property (from where Matt got the buck) we saw absolutely nothing! The hunting is always tough up there.

The first snow (last Sunday) was the day to be up there, but I could not find anyone to go then, and the wife does not like me going alone (although I do sometimes anyway). This time, I decided to wait for Matt to go up with me. Always better to have 2 people when you are off the grid.

Thanks.

I see them often, just not always the best deal. I should have bought one last summer that was all painted camo, it was 300 and had a skeet barrel, I just couldn't run out to the subs of Detroit at the time.

So can I:cheers:.
I've shot way more rounds through my first 870 than any 1100 I've owned.
I already have an 870 so...
A gas operated system is much smoother and better for teaching others as it doesn't kick as much. These days I wouldn't want to shoot 4 rounds of skeet or trap with a pump, just more kick than I want to deal with, but for a round or two I'd deal with it. Much like rubber vs spring mounts on a saw :).
The trap rounds don't bother me, but the high base shells (especially the slugs) can really wake you up!

When I sight in with slug rounds, I use my PAST shoulder pad, it really tames it. No used developing a flinch!

Steve (SVK), what a STUPID ad!!!

What they call a 222 is obviously a 220 Swift, and a 30-30 cartrige will NOT FIT a 25-06 or 270!

Don't know that I would buy precision stuff from them!!!

they probably meant 25-35, 22hipo to go along with the 30/30

don’t forget to send me the pictures you took

Mechanic Matt scored with his Stainless Ruger 77 in 35 Whalen, loaded with 200 gr Fusion bullets.

He was going to take his 30-30, but I convinced him to take the scoped Whalen. The shot was not real long (between 50 and 100 yds), but through lots of brush, so I'm glad he had the Whalen, it will punch through that a lot better than a 30-30. Also, he told me that with all the brush and low light (cloudy) he would have had trouble seeing the antlers with open sights.

The deer was quartering towards him, and the bullet went right through the shoulders and pulverized half of the heart. Amazingly, with a heavy blood trail, the deer still went almost 100 yds before dropping! It is always nice to have snow to make it easier to find your deer! He had to descend a steep decline to get to it.

The brow tines did not seem to be in proper proportion to the nice main beams on this deer. They are all different! The rack was nice and pretty symetrical.

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_140126831_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211203_140126831_HDR.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20211203_140139609_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211203_140139609_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20211203_143108188_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211203_143108188_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211203_143119212_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211203_143119212_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 35
they probably meant 25-35, 22hipo to go along with the 30/30

don’t forget to send me the pictures you took
This reminds me of a TRUE story!

There was a member at our range having trouble getting a round to chamber in his 700 Remington.

The range officer came over and said "the problem is you are trying to chamber a 30-06 in a gun chambered for 243". The owner of the gun responded (obviously after reading the ads) "this is a 700 Remington, it can shoot 17 different calibers, including 223, 243, 270, 30-06 ..."

Latest posts

Back