Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my last spring loads
UL5kLii.jpg

and a couple other pics, I ended up with 8 loads from the new lines going in
YiW53rcl.jpg

fZe6dxFl.jpg

puaMHK0l.jpg

4 miles from my house, couldn't ask for easier
Of course I took the Kubota and my grapple over to load
t43R67rl.jpg

I'm on the hunt for next years wood now :)

Scrounged up a truck load of smaller pine stuff yesterday. 2 hrs . I'm feeling it today. Haven't fired up any of the saws in a year. They all did fine. Used the baby saw. I can't even remember what model it is lol. I think its a 33cc . How sad I don't know or remember, and the Dolmar 111, I think its 52 or 60cc.
I sold alot of stuff and I've not bought anything in a few years. I have the 372xp xturd and my stihl 038 mag and the dolkita dcs6420 still but the rest is done.
I really only cut once a year. Last year I was cutting shaggy bark juniper and its kinda a hard wood I guess so I used the more powerful saws, but I just don't need the weight for cutting firewood. Maybe I need a more convenient saw

Attachments

• 20211206_171431.jpg
    20211206_171431.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211206_172741.jpg
    20211206_172741.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20211206_164747.jpg
    20211206_164747.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20211206_155155.jpg
    20211206_155155.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20211206_155204.jpg
    20211206_155204.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 17
Sunday afternoon the last load of firewood rolled off my yard in the back of a two-horse trailer. The owner said his trailer was rated to haul up to 20,000 lbs. Well, he didn't have that much on it, but, it was enough to clean me out. So, this morning I started all over again in the woods behind my house. This was the first standing dead oak of the new season:

IMG_0400.jpg

That’s what I hear about here, I’ve seen hunters backpacking a full day‘s walk into the wilderness.
Saw a deer along the road the other day, thought "What the hell?? Why is it so weird looking?"

Somebody had pulled the backstraps - it looked like it had an enormous tooth-filled mouth down it's back. Sorta creepy looking.

On the weekend just gone did my first bit of scrounging in 5 months. I usually don’t do this in summer but lockdown has me fallen behind so got a trailer load from my sister’s place, mainly yellow blood wood. It was around 30 degrees, not my cup of tea and the 550XP didn’t like it either. This is the first time I’ve had hot starting issues. Stopped and started it a couple of times and had bogging issues at one stage too. I think I’ll live with it as I think I’ll be able to do all my cutting in winter from now on.
1638938699898.png

Sunday afternoon the last load of firewood rolled off my yard in the back of a two-horse trailer. The owner said his trailer was rated to haul up to 20,000 lbs. Well, he didn't have that much on it, but, it was enough to clean me out. So, this morning I started all over again in the woods behind my house. This was the first standing dead oak of the new season:

View attachment 947022
Nice stick. Gotta get those sooner rather than later, looks nice and solid though.
Do you like that axe, I need a smaller wedge driver. I lost my little Estwing hammer, I really liked it.

Speaking of horse drawn, saw this today.
When you live in a rough neighborhood lol.
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 12.05.07 AM.png

The stove is an older Drolet that I scrounged off the side of the road. The fan is an ECOFan, both made in Canada.
No sense buying any of that cheap American made junk :oops:
lol. Nice wood stove scrounge!
Do you think the fan makes a big difference with heat dispersion?

Speaking of Canada, I was kind of amazed when I saw this tonight while making tacos for my kids:
66890632-F0AF-43CE-80C3-D2934B9430F9.jpeg
I believe that may have been my first Canadian tomatoes.

One of my last spring loads
UL5kLii.jpg

and a couple other pics, I ended up with 8 loads from the new lines going in
YiW53rcl.jpg

fZe6dxFl.jpg

puaMHK0l.jpg

4 miles from my house, couldn't ask for easier
Of course I took the Kubota and my grapple over to load
t43R67rl.jpg

I'm on the hunt for next years wood now :)
Nice!! Gotta love that ash.

lol. Nice wood stove scrounge!
Do you think the fan makes a big difference with heat dispersion?

Speaking of Canada, I was kind of amazed when I saw this tonight while making tacos for my kids:
View attachment 947048
I believe that may have been my first Canadian tomatoes.
I have two of those eco fans on my stove. One's been there for over 8 years and the other over five. Not cheap to buy but free electricity afterward. I had to repair one (motor went bad) after getting the stove too hot but otherwise trouble free.
All that said, I know what you mean about does it move enough air to make a difference and I can't say for sure. They spin fast but I don't feel a huge blast of air on my hand when I stick it in front of them. Nice and quiet and hands off so I guess I'll just use them to hypnotize strangers.
As far as the tomato, I think that "Canada" is the variety. Thick skinned, always early and just so nice inside.

Nice stick. Gotta get those sooner rather than later, looks nice and solid though.
Do you like that axe, I need a smaller wedge driver. I lost my little Estwing hammer, I really liked it.

I won that stihl felling ax in a photo contest last Spring. That's the first I ever used it, to knock out the notch and to drive a couple wedges. It worked fine. I don't know who makes it for Stihl. I'm not terribly picky about such an ax, I have used a Fiskars hatchet for this job in the past. It was really too light, but I could carry it in the hammer loop on my pants.

I won that stihl felling ax in a photo contest last Spring. That's the first I ever used it, to knock out the notch and to drive a couple wedges. It worked fine. I don't know who makes it for Stihl. I'm not terribly picky about such an ax, I have used a Fiskars hatchet for this job in the past. It was really too light, but I could carry it in the hammer loop on my pants.
That's awesome.
I saw that video you posted when you used it :).
The fiscars splitting axes say on the instructions you are not supposed to bang wedges or hit anything with the back side of it. I try to avoid it as I don't want a problem with the warranty, but all I had to do was take a couple pictures to email to them when mine got broke, and they sent me a new one :clap:.
One of the things I liked about the Estwing (small sledge hammer) was how compact it was, wish I new wear it was.

I have two of those eco fans on my stove. One's been there for over 8 years and the other over five. Not cheap to buy but free electricity afterward. I had to repair one (motor went bad) after getting the stove too hot but otherwise trouble free.
All that said, I know what you mean about does it move enough air to make a difference and I can't say for sure. They spin fast but I don't feel a huge blast of air on my hand when I stick it in front of them. Nice and quiet and hands off so I guess I'll just use them to hypnotize strangers.
As far as the tomato, I think that "Canada" is the variety. Thick skinned, always early and just so nice inside.
We have 2 on our stove. I'd agree that you don't really feel air movement but we can sure tell the difference in heat movement when we take them off the stove. We've been using them for over 15 years. The motors do die over time, I've replaced a few of them over the years.

That's awesome.
I saw that video you posted when you used it :).
The fiscars splitting axes say on the instructions you are not supposed to bang wedges or hit anything with the back side of it. I try to avoid it as I don't want a problem with the warranty, but all I had to do was take a couple pictures to email to them when mine got broke, and they sent me a new one :clap:.
One of the things I liked about the Estwing (small sledge hammer) was how compact it was, wish I new wear it was.

Good luck with your search for your Estwing. For what it's worth, I was "banging wedges" with the Fiskars hatchet, not the splitting ax. And, my interpretation of the guidance from Fiskars to not hit splitting wedges made of steel rather than felling wedges made of some kind of plastic. It's kind of hard to imagine why they would put a flat end on their various axes and hatchets if not for some banging purpose. Anyway, I love my Fiskars splitting ax, but with the 36" handle it would never be the right tool for driving wedges or even driving notches out.

Hope you have an awesome winter season in the wood!

Saw a deer along the road the other day, thought "What the hell?? Why is it so weird looking?"

Somebody had pulled the backstraps - it looked like it had an enormous tooth-filled mouth down it's back. Sorta creepy looking.
I guess scrounging roadkill is one way to get grade A red meat.

I'll take a seared (or grilled venison) backstrap or tenderloin over most cuts of beef.

I see guys are doing wellington style with whole cuts of backstrap/TL too now. I may need to try that.

I know Fiskars has shaped the back of the splitting tools to be less than ideal for banging wedges...but when you need a tool and it is within arms reach, it gets used.

I know mine has some nicks in it and I would never try to claim warranty if I broke it for any reason. That tool has paid for itself so many times over in firewood sales and saved energy over using a crappy maul.

I guess I never hit send on my first post this morning.

Good morning guys. Dropped the kids off at school and am at work now. Once I get my job duties done I need to head home and try to fix the plow, then bake a pie for a friend's birthday and finally get working on the house....it really has gotten messy since we got back from vacation.

Latest posts

Back