Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to consider a 20 mi bike ride a warmup, and every WE we did 60-70 mi one day.

But now, 20 mi seems good enough for me!

To ride long distance, you have to do it often, and I have so many other things going on now, and almost all my riding friends no longer do it.
i have done 20, and i was definitely warmed up! lol... i talked with one guy at the gym... had trimmed down some... after taking up biking. he was doing some of those 150 milers on the weekends. as i ride, i wonder how in the heck... does the tail end survive... ? lol

ymmv

this would be me at mile-30!
1642264582460.png

can be useful, though... :rolleyes: i remember my Dad liked to use or get ahold of it... and put it out on the old hiway road we lived on - rural farm - to keep the dust down as the college kids would speed by...

worked pretty good i can remember
Yep my Dad fabricated a reservoir tank & header manifold of 2" pipe with 3/16" holes drilled into its 8 ' length on the rear of the ole Cockshutt-40 tractor & I would run up and down the dirt road in front of the farm entrance to spray the road with used Valoline-30 for dust suppression ! :laughing:

Tex , ifin you won't put it in your Cessina then don't t put in as bar oil ! lol. :laughing:
hi B - when i am running my splitter and doing a full day of it... i start with clean oil in the engine. and change it to new again before next session. best thing a man can do for an engine, besides improve its VE is... keep the oil clean! in my big, fast... '36 3-window with the stout 427 cu in mill i stuffed in to it... i changed the oil every time it got from honey to blackish... but then a qt was 29-cents or thereabouts. same price for the 101-octane pump gas!

combos like this called for it!... and low gears in rear, too!! :surprised3:

1642264892604.png

hi B - when i am running my splitter and doing a full day of it... i start with clean oil in the engine. and change it to new again before next session. best thing a man cn do for an engine, besides improve its VE is... keep the oil clean! in my big, fast... '36 3-window with the stout 427 cu in mill in it... i changed the oil every time it got from honey to blackish... but then a qt was 29-cents or thereabouts. same price for the 101-octane pump gas!

combos like this called for it!... and low gears in rear, too!! :surprised3:

View attachment 956497
Love them forged high lift "domed" pistons with valve cut outs !

Love them forged high lift "domed" pistons with valve cut outs !
the 427 was 12.5:1! 'on the street!' 1,000 rpm idle... dual quads, etc! it would rattle on anything other than Chevron White-Pump! those were exciting times... every thing was cheap... and went fast!!! ;)

:dancing:

What flavor 427???

I ran a 427 Ford engine in my 70 Boss 302 Mustang Body ... told folks I had the "Real" Boss Mustang!

Was a great sleeper, no one suspected the engine change! Was a 66 Holman and Moody seasoned block with the crank cut 10 + 20. (side oiler with cross bolted mains) 850 double pumper Holley on and Edelbrock duel port manifold, Hooker Headers and header mufflers, Mallory Photocell electronic ignition, TRW double roller timing chain, Hurst T handle shifter and Mr Gasket slapper traction bars with BFG radial trans ams all around.

Had a 3.50 pumpkin, but I stole a tranny from a 289 Mustang which was wider ration, so the first gear made it like I had 4:11s.

Handled great and beat about everything that was not tubbed on the street, including a 454, 440 mopar and a 69 Camaro with two 4s on a tunnel ram. (He could not modulate the power with street tires and left jet black lines all the way down the street).

To elaborate more here. The biggest downfall w mickey mouse boots is they are too warm for most things. Amazing boots for the coldest of weather. get the real ones ( military issue ) made by Bata and you will never, ever need another cold weather boot.
I see several of the Alaska guys on “Mountain Men” still use them.

Never done an engine flush, least not since the upgraded anti-freeze to not need changing every year or two.

With the modern synthetic oils, is there really any purpose to it?
I would think only if you suspect foreign stuff got into the system or someone added water after an emergency blowout and you need to get the test back up.

Hi guys. -26 this morning, up to 10 now.

Spent all day with my daughter at a basketball tournament that was 2 hours away. Had a nice day with her despite enduring a few blowouts. Also I’ve been scrounging steel shot shotgun shells (which stores are limiting you to two boxes per day) so I was able to hit two different stores along the way and grab two boxes at each place. The off-season supply of shotgun ammo this year is a fraction of what it was last year so those predicting a prolonged ammo shortage are sadly, probably right.

I would think only if you suspect foreign stuff got into the system or someone added water after an emergency blowout and you need to get the test back up.
Basically that engine oil flush is kerosene. And with modern oils there shouldnt be any need to do one unless you get funky stuff in the oil. On the bottle says run engine no more than 5 mins or something to that effect or else probly bearings and bushings and stuff go bad.

That's a lot of freshly cut/split wood in that stack.
Hows the knee holding up.

I see locust :sweet:.
View attachment 956642
I usually separate stacks by species, but I have so much and so many different kinds that it's mostly mixed by hardwood/softwood. Of course the locust will make it to the locust stack. :sweet:

Knee is sore today but not as bad as I was expecting. I'll be calling this week to see if I can even get on the schedule for a knee replacement though - probably not a good time to be needing it.

Back