Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if you're going to tow it on the road that may be a different story. Most of the trailers you'll find cheap/free will be lightweight. Good enough for 1/2 cord loads at low speed on the property. Not so good for highway use to carry any amount worth getting. Even for a yard trailer you may have to pick and choose on construction if something looks too light or hard to modify.
Good point didn't think about that.

They seem to mulch everything less that 8-12" around here. I think there is more of a market for mulch than small firewood, but it is a shame so much good wood gets turned into mulch.
Yeah, that's such a waste, can you imagine how big of a bonfire you could make lol.
Think I burned around 2 cord today :cry:. I started to buck more of the logs from out back, after getting a couple more that were pretty rotten and had to be brought out the the bonfire pit, I started a fire and then started dumping logs on it. Gave a whole new meaning to putting another "log" on the fire :surprised3:.
The good thing is I was able to focus my energy on bucking other wood up front while the fire was getting going, then I added more logs onto the fire. Probably won't get them all burned by the end of the week, there's quite a few, but I'll get a lot more.
Can't waste time on punky wood right now.

No scrounging today but stacked up 3 rics from a prior scrounge. All ash for next year. That got the truck empty which needed to do. Gonna have a few days below freezing so I may be able to get up on my Everest again for the trunks of the ash trees these tops came from. Trailer still full of black locust!! ( aren’t you jealous chipper) lol need to get it stacked too.
Not really, quite happy for you.
I'm pretty set on firewood for myself, and lots more locust to cut when I get the time if the neighbor doesn't let anyone else in on it.
That being said, I need to stay focused on my place right now!
Maybe you haven't seen the piles of mostly locust at the house, the two piles on the left are 90% or better black locust. The pile to the right had some nice BL sticks on it, today I bucked most of them up.
I want all this either all bucked up or moved so I can remove the rest of the trees and then grade the area in the spring,
Anyone want that elm the ropes are in lol.
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.08.40 PM.png

I'm pretty set on firewood for myself, and lots more locust to cut when I get the time if the neighbor doesn't let anyone else in on it.
Maybe you haven't seen the piles of mostly locust at the house, the two piles on the left are 90% or better black locust. The pile to the right had some nice BL sticks on it, today I bucked most of them up.
I want all this either all bucked up or moved so I can remove the rest of the trees and then grade the area in the spring,
View attachment 957178

i was just playing with ya! You always notice when I’m cutting locust so if figure you like it like I do. Glad you have a mess of it!!
You have your work cut out for you.

i was just playing with ya! You always notice when I’m cutting locust so if figure you like it like I do. Glad you have a mess of it!!
You have your work cut out for you.
I like it a lot, my fav for the wood stove.
For sure, I've only heard one guy say "it is finished" ;).

LOL.... Reminds me of a damp misty night when a kid in a souped up Charger pulled up next to me at the light. I was in my '72 Buick Electra... 455 CID, posi, dual exhaust, 5,000 lbs! The light turned green and I instantly pulled away from him as he sat there spinning! He wouldn't look at me at the next light! LOL
I have a Fiat Panda just to warn you should we meet at the lights!

Man that's a true temper barrow right there. Honestly didn't know they made anything besides the tools good deal.
Made right up the road from me Vince.
Ames True Temper specializes in the manufacture of non-powered lawn and garden products. Their manufacturing plant is located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and produces 85% of the wheelbarrows in the United States and Canada producing 1.7 million wheelbarrows each year.

I sell it in 50lb bags for 30 bucks each. I get 50+ bags per cord. I might even try raising it to $35 each. Not sure if I want to get to greedy.
BBQ wood is king where I live vs firewood. Many people don't have room to buy and store bulk firewood or have a truck to haul it in. They are looking for a clean way to buy and haul wood in there car without all the mess. Bag wood is easy to load and keep there car clean and is handy for people that live in apartments or live in cramped subdivisions. It's easy and handy for them. Thats fine with me because I make 3 to 4 times what bulk wood would bring. A cord bagged up is 50 to 60 bags and can turn a 600 dollar cord into a 1500 dollar cord. It's more time and labor but the profet is worth it.

BBQ wood is king where I live vs firewood. Many people don't have room to buy and store bulk firewood or have a truck to haul it in. They are looking for a clean way to buy and haul wood in there car without all the mess. Bag wood is easy to load and keep there car clean and is handy for people that live in apartments or live in cramped subdivisions. It's easy and handy for them. Thats fine with me because I make 3 to 4 times what bulk wood would bring. A cord bagged up is 50 to 60 bags and can turn a 600 dollar cord into a 1500 dollar cord. It's more time and labor but the profet is worth it.
Just curious, how much smaller do you have to split it than you would if you were using it for heat?

Made right up the road from me Vince.
Ames True Temper specializes in the manufacture of non-powered lawn and garden products. Their manufacturing plant is located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and produces 85% of the wheelbarrows in the United States and Canada producing 1.7 million wheelbarrows each year.
Thanks FS I learned something new. I wonder if the one I have is but just rebranded then.

View attachment 957178
Thats a sweet looking firewood landing area you got there. About 10 billion BTU'S stockpiled. :baba::baba::baba: Great work!:numberone:

Almost no one bothers to BBQ with wood around here, they are all propane gas stoves.

The yuppies all buy these small wood bundles for the fireplace, or in case they go camping.

They are split about 3X more than I would split for firewood, and usually the softer wood that lights easier.

A lot of gas stations, supermarkets and variety stores sell them, usually wrapped in cellophane.

Thats a sweet looking firewood landing area you got there. About 10 billion BTU'S stockpiled. :baba::baba::baba: Great work!:numberone:
Not sure it's 10 billion, I'll have to do a quick btu calculation with my btu app lol.
Did you see the pile of logs out back, that's what I've been burning, heading out in a min to move things around and add another 1/4-1/2 a cord to it :surprised3:. Next time you're over we need to run some saws :).

Almost no one bothers to BBQ with wood around here, they are all propane gas stoves.

The yuppies all buy these small wood bundles for the fireplace, or in case they go camping.

They are split about 3X more than I would split for firewood, and usually the softer wood that lights easier.

A lot of gas stations, supermarkets and variety stores sell them, usually wrapped in cellophane.
One of those branch processes would fill a firewood bag in a hurry

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Not sure it's 10 billion, I'll have to do a quick btu calculation with my btu app lol.
Did you see the pile of logs out back, that's what I've been burning, heading out in a min to move things around and add another 1/4-1/2 a cord to it :surprised3:. Next time you're over we need to run some saws :).
I have so many saws that need ran. 290,034,011,cub I got going last week, a pioneer holiday 10-10 lightweight & two pro 10-10’s. Still need to run roadkill ( super 10-10) a little more too. Not quite where I want it yet. Wish I was closer!!! We’d make some serious sawdust!!!

Yup that's a trailer for sure. If material was reasonable right now I would weld one up. I could pull it around the property no issue I have a 28hp garden tractor.
If you look at the pic with the load of brush the trailer wheels are white, frame black, and plywood sides. I dropped about $500 into it making it look like a mini JD hay wagon. Country Manufacturing still makes that trailer, and you can get it with the functioning dump. Mine doesn't have the dump mechanism. I'm going to put an electric/hydraulic scissor lift on it. The trailer new is about $1500-$1800, with plywood sides and deck. I Used 30-50 year old White Oak fence boards on mine, 3-4 coats of Spar Urethane. The metal slats between the boards are from a 72 Chevy pickup, wood bed kit. I'm looking for another one so I can make a train like real hay wagons. But I'm going to put my saw collection on it for the County Fair.

The JD X540 is 26 HP Kawasaki twin liquid cooled. My farmer friend has a Power King 14 HP I'm trying to talk her out of. Don't know how I'll take pulling the JD trailer with a red tractor.
MIedjxc.jpg

Dqf5R5i.jpg

Latest posts

Back