Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad news, this really caught us by surprise.

Our younger dog, Linus, has an inoperable tumor on his spine, and will have to be euthanized tomorrow.

He is 10, is a rescue, and we have had him since he was 2. He is 65 lbs of solid muscle, and fast as the wind. He is very friendly and listens well. He loves to play fetch and tug, and has a fierce "allegator shake", but the only thing I ever saw him hurt was the racon that tried to rip through the screen and get into our house (Linus did not have a scratch on him, but the racon did not survive).

He also loves to go for walks, hikes, and ride shotgun. Kids and adults alike love to pet him.

We had him DNA tested. He is equal parts of Pit and Boxer, with a little Australian Shepard, Grate Dane and Nova Scota Duck Tolling Retriever.

My wife and I are devastated, and my eyes are not dry as I write this.
Very sorry, Mike. That's truly lousy.

Our younger dog, Linus, has an inoperable tumor on his spine, and will have to be euthanized tomorrow.

He is 10, is a rescue, and we have had him since he was 2. He is 65 lbs of solid muscle, and fast as the wind. He is very friendly and listens well. He loves to play fetch and tug, and has a fierce "allegator shake", but the only thing I ever saw him hurt was the racon that tried to rip through the screen and get into our house (Linus did not have a scratch on him, but the racon did not survive).

He also loves to go for walks, hikes, and ride shotgun. Kids and adults alike love to pet him.

We had him DNA tested. He is equal parts of Pit and Boxer, with a little Australian Shepard, Grate Dane and Nova Scota Duck Tolling Retriever.

So sorry to hear that! That’s real tough for dog people. Will be thinking of you all and I hope it goes as well as it can.

I'm very sorry. May the Lord bless you and bring you peace in these trying times. In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti

So I'm about/nearly caught up on my car spannering

These are what we call spanners in the U.S., I still have some from my machinist days. We used them for seal retainers on hydraulic cylinders.

B0A7AEA3-6308-4759-9A42-4548A6A578F0.jpeg

They‘re for cylinders with this type of seal retainer.
24BE4739-57A1-495E-BED6-B092AA92DCA7.jpeg

There are other type spanners too.
F3BC6BB0-F978-4340-A814-0088EDEC2144.jpeg
4A4802C0-7417-47F0-A4BA-1EB67213453B.jpeg

Forest, blm and private property
Welcome! Can you work on clearing the deadfall north of Kremmling? Like all of it? It makes elk hunting a chore! :lol:

Mustang Mike, really sorry to hear that. Prayers your way for comfort. We've got one nearing the end as well. It's tough.

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” —Roger Caras

I‘m sorry to hear that, we had to put down our dog 2-1/2 years ago, cancer running down the length of her back on one side. It got really bad for her. It was hard on us, she was a really good dog.

5534C087-9401-4ED9-805C-02935A92F4C0.jpeg
B69C6C85-30D7-42A5-9187-E7B44732E13A.jpeg
04A5E8B0-C9DA-4662-8E53-B720781B9423.jpeg

Welcome! Can you work on clearing the deadfall north of Kremmling? Like all of it? It makes elk hunting a chore! :lol:

Mustang Mike, really sorry to hear that. Prayers your way for comfort. We've got one nearing the end as well. It's tough.

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” —Roger Caras
I have years and years of beetle kill down here haha.. I went through some woods last year tracking a pair of big black bears that we're eating on a calf the yotes killedand the deadfall was such a pain. I feel ya!

Just went to reload the stove for the night, walked back towards the living room and looked towards the front door, it was slightly cracked :nofunny:. The keeper has about 3/16" of frost on it lol. That certainly wasn't helping keep the temp up in here.
Its currently 9 here now, suppose to drop to 1 by morning :cold:, more wood is the answer:blob2:.
I know that's nothing up your way @svk :surprised3:. I don't know if I could live with your temps up there, but maybe the humidity is lower lol. It's 77% here right now. Funny, I just looked at Grand Rapids MN, -17 and 77% humid, what are the chances :laugh:. Just NE of there a short distance it's -31 and it says the humidity is N/A, no humidity available I guess lol.

We use a grandpa bear fisher. Took 3 men, a boy, a team of horses and most of our local national guard troops to get in on the house!!!! Worth it tho. I can’t imagine ever needing another one as heavy built as it is. Even below zero, our furnace has not ran since except for scheduled exercising of the system. Push that big thing to 600 for a while and you will be hot!
yeah I modeled my stove off of the fisher design and sized it inbetween the papa and mama bear stoves. I just added a side door with glass to the design for ascetics and used slightly thicker bricks so that the interior is basically the same cubic feet as the Mama Bear but with a loot more thermal mass in the fire bricks.

Just went to reload the stove for the night, walked back towards the living room and looked towards the front door, it was slightly cracked :nofunny:. The keeper has about 3/16" of frost on it lol. That certainly wasn't helping keep the temp up in here.
Its currently 9 here now, suppose to drop to 1 by morning :cold:, more wood is the answer:blob2:.
I know that's nothing up your way @svk :surprised3:. I don't know if I could live with your temps up there, but maybe the humidity is lower lol. It's 77% here right now. Funny, I just looked at Grand Rapids MN, -17 and 77% humid, what are the chances :laugh:. Just NE of there a short distance it's -31 and it says the humidity is N/A, no humidity available I guess lol.
Morning Brett,

It was about 0F when I left this morning. I think even the regular furnaces are having a hard time keeping up. I did pretty good the other night when it was 10 i managed to keep the living room around 70 with red oak and maple, but the rest of the house was slowly getting colder and colder. Not to bad for sleeping I don't need the bedrooms to be a raging furnace anyways. looks like its supposed to warm up a little next week.

yeah I modeled my stove off of the fisher design and sized it inbetween the papa and mama bear stoves. I just added a side door with glass to the design for ascetics and used slightly thicker bricks so that the interior is basically the same cubic feet as the Mama Bear but with a loot more thermal mass in the fire bricks.
It’s a good design. I think our place is around 1700 sq ft. And it takes care of the whole house. Down to 3 last night and the house still between 65&70 this morning.

Back