Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another article on the future of wood burning in New York...

https://kingstonwire.com/news/2022/1/30/state-looks-to-cut-emissions-from-heating-with-wood/524onO
State Looks to Cut Emissions from Heating With Wood

by Max Freebern

KINGSTON - On a cold winter day, few things are more appealing than a nice crackling fire in either a hearth or a wood stove. And many still rely on wood to heat their homes, especially in the more remote areas of Ulster, where electricity can and does go out more often.

But state officials say reducing the volume of wood smoke in New York could improve the health of residents and help lower the state’s carbon footprint.

During its October 2020 meeting, the New York State Climate Action Council discussed the benefits of reducing the state's wood consumption by 40 percent to meet the state’s climate and air quality goals.

These goals were detailed in the state’s 2019 Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act. The law mandated that the Climate Action Council find strategies to reduce the state’s greenhouse gas emissions by 40 percent compared to 1990 levels by 2030. The state aims to achieve “net-zero greenhouse gas emissions,” where the volume of greenhouse gasses released is negligible compared to their reduction, by 2050.

According to the council’s 2021 Draft Scoping Plan, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that the volume of PM2.5 emissions (polluting particles two and a half microns or less in width, released by wood burning) coming from residential wood heating in New York was greater than that from other sources of residential and commercial power generation combined, even though only 2 percent of New York homes use wood heating.

The presence of PM2.5 particles is linked to symptoms like chest pain and heart rhythm changes, and could increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and asthma, according to the scoping plan. Elderly folks, children and low-income residents are particularly vulnerable to wood smoke exposure, the document continued. The council claims 40 percent of the benefits that could come from the plan are associated with reducing wood smoke.

Julie Noble, Kingston’s environmental education and sustainability coordinator, is working with Bard College and the Kingston Conservation Advisory Council (KCAC) on the “Kingston Air Quality Initiative,” which monitors the PM2.5 levels at the neighborhood scale.

On the City of Kingston website, under “Air Quality and Wood burning,” the KCAC said that using wood for heating is one of the dirtiest ways to stay warm. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration data, it was estimated that 1,573.63 tons of wood was used to fuel Kingston homes in 2010. This created 193 tons of “carbon dioxide equivalent” emissions; i.e. even though what comes out of Kingston chimneys is not all CO2, combined, it has the same effect as emitting 193 tons of carbon dioxide.

That said, reducing the amount of wood burned in Kingston isn’t the city’s priority, Noble explained.

“Per our 2010 greenhouse gas emission inventory we determined that fewer than 70 homes in Kingston use wood as their primary source of heat so the focus is really on education and electrification,” Noble wrote in an email.

In a December KCAC meeting, Bard Professor Eli Dueker explained that PM2.5 emissions are often caused when wood fuel is not fully burnt before the smoke is released. Common sources for PM2.5 emissions included campfires, brush fires and wood stoves. Bard will work with Kingston to make air-quality data available for public education while the city works to promote the use of electric for both heating and vehicles.

The state is preparing for how a cut in wood consumption may impact the economy and hopes to add thousands of jobs in new clean-energy industries. As required by the Climate Act, the Just Transition Working Group conducted a study to examine the number of jobs that would be created to combat climate change and the training required for the new workforce, according to a New York State Energy Research & Development Authority spokesperson. Initial findings reveal that New York stands to see 10 new jobs for every potential lost job in sectors involving conventional heating and fuel. This middle-wage positions, the spokesperson continued.could result in hundreds of thousands of new jobs for the state by 2030 and beyond, with the largest pay increases coming from middle-wage positions, the spokesperson continued.

NYSERDA has already committed nearly $120 million to support existing workforce development and training initiatives to prepare over 40,000 New Yorkers for emerging clean-energy jobs and to help businesses find qualified workers, according to the spokesperson. NYSERDA is also funding internships and on-the-job training for folks looking to join the clean energy workforce. One example was the $6 million Climate Justice Fellowships initiative that specifically targeted disadvantaged communities.
I wonder how many years worth of gas/ electricity they could have bought with the 126 million mentioned here for the handful of guys trying to save money by heating with wood?

When my Dad went into business in the 70's, and I was 16, no one had ever heard of a Dingo. If we had to bring wood out of a back yard with a gate, he'd say, "Boy, get the "Go-Buggy!" It made my back hurt then, makes it hurt now! I think I may have posted this a few years back?
If I had a dime for every mile I’ve put on one.........!!!!!!
My dad rest his hard working soul got burnt on an expensive transfer case repair in his youth and vowed to never own a 4 wheel drive again and he didn’t! That meant whatever tree he found, no matter how far off the road or how steep the hill was, it came out in a wheelbarrow!!!
He said it built character. Maybe so but all the same I vowed to never own a 2 wheel drive and I haven’t!! Lol

I wonder how many years worth of gas/ electricity they could have bought with the 126 million mentioned here for the handful of guys trying to save money by heating with wood?
There are some assumptions that are problematic too. For one, "10 new jobs for every potential lost job in sectors involving conventional heating and fuel" seems to assume the workers are interchangeable. They also ignore the reality that most of those heating with wood in Kingston cannot afford fuel oil or natural gas. They cannot then afford electric resistance heat or installing electric heat pumps without financial assistance. I'm a thorn in their side on many issues as I point out that they don't look at all the opportunity costs, only what they want to see.

There are some assumptions that are problematic too. For one, "10 new jobs for every potential lost job in sectors involving conventional heating and fuel" seems to assume the workers are interchangeable. They also ignore the reality that most of those heating with wood in Kingston cannot afford fuel oil or natural gas. They cannot then afford electric resistance heat or installing electric heat pumps without financial assistance. I'm a thorn in their side on many issues as I point out that they don't look at all the opportunity costs, only what they want to see.
Yep, it's much like the cash for clunkers, what's the real savings/environmental effect.

If I had a dime for every mile I’ve put on one.........!!!!!!
My dad rest his hard working soul got burnt on an expensive transfer case repair in his youth and vowed to never own a 4 wheel drive again and he didn’t! That meant whatever tree he found, no matter how far off the road or how steep the hill was, it came out in a wheelbarrow!!!
He said it built character. Maybe so but all the same I vowed to never own a 2 wheel drive and I haven’t!! Lol
Thanks chipper. Might be able to cancel that appointment now! Lol

Yep, it's much like the cash for clunkers, what's the real savings/environmental effect.
This is definitely a squeeze the little man. Wood burning is not what it was 100 years ago one factory pumps out more crap than half the countryside. Also it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. If everyone is forced to switch to electric heat and cars and lawn equipment the grid will not support that. Which then means more power plants coal fired, natural gas, or nuclear. They will be building them everywhere. So no less pollutants just making sure you pay and rely on them. It's not about clean energy it's making you dependent on the system. Wait till one of those nuke plants melts down from shotty maintenance and inspection requirements see how clean the state is then. The nuclear regulatory commission is a joke turn a blind eye just like any other job on earth. Only this one comes with catastrophic results.

You guys have been to atleast 10 different hospitals and all over the state with me and the wife. And have kept my sanity intact thru the hardships we have been facing for almost 6 months now. Not everyone I run into likes brusslesprouts or is ready to throw down over used oil for bar oil or cares you got a ragged out saw that your excited about or if you found some logs on the side of the road lol but I care about all that not only do I scrounge all of the above I scrounge the threads for a coping mechanism to deal with stress.
Yes, I've been there .
Kept me sane during my long road of struggles to recovery .
I even like broccoli lol

Nothing wrong with the old threads. Like you said some good info.
The thing I like most about reading old post is finding
Those are tvs that you need a wheelbarrow to move🤣 I threw a bunch away a couple years ago a 27" Sony had to weigh 60#
tried to give away a Mitsubishi Big Screen when the “new” flat screens were ten gran. No takers. Only way I got it on the truck is a 5 step landing to our family room. Backed the truck up to a step and flipped it on.

This is definitely a squeeze the little man. Wood burning is not what it was 100 years ago one factory pumps out more crap than half the countryside.
Buddy and I were talking about this the other day. The elites are making plans for all us guys to have electric cars, meanwhile they are flying all over the world burning more fuel than all of us would making these plans :nofunny: .
I remember when a certain president flew to FL to plant one tree :buttkick:, but I guess he at least did one thing that was positive.

My home has electric heat and propane water heater . The heat does come on in very cold weather my average bill for electric is about $ 150 and out of that amount the actuall electricity component is miniscule. It's all line charges and taxes.

If I were to use just electric heat the bill would be close to if not over $500 a month. I guess if the state goes that way my stove went overboard .

There is no way in hell that they can change everyone to electric heating . During the summer when its hot they have brown outs from all the a/c units going and not everyone has a/c . All these people live in fantasyland.

love Broccoli.. especially with some butter, and cheese
My wife used to cut the flowers off, leave no stem, and sprinkle the Broccoli on grilled cheese, the kids loved it, and in their 30's still love it. When my daughter was about six we were eating at a high end Italian restaurant. She saw grilled cheese on the menu and asked for one with Broccoli. The waiter looked at her like she was from Mars, but said he would ask the Chef. He came back with a grilled cheese about 3 inches thick. Big chunks like on your side dish. But, she loved it.

My home has electric heat and propane water heater . The heat does come on in very cold weather my average bill for electric is about $ 150 and out of that amount the actuall electricity component is miniscule. It's all line charges and taxes.

If I were to use just electric heat the bill would be close to if not over $500 a month. I guess if the state goes that way my stove went overboard .

There is no way in hell that they can change everyone to electric heating . During the summer when its hot they have brown outs from all the a/c units going and not everyone has a/c . All these people live in fantasyland.
Yup... we need modern, small, local, nuclear installations if the all-electric cool-aid keeps flowing.

Back