Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from our cabin in the PA mountains where we heat with firewood when occupied. Bad News - Good News, another of our oaks in front of the cabin died. These oaks on the top here do not grow fast, but they seem to grow extra hard. So, good news, ready supply of oak. I cut this one down after moving the trucks, and lining it to avoid risk of a fall over our power lines.

This was a little over 20" dbh, but over 100 years old:

View attachment 990130

The father/son crew moved the 12' sections around to the back (less likely to get stolen) where I cut to 18" rounds for the splitting and stacking team:

View attachment 990131

Up early the next morning to tackle stove pipe cleaning and noticed one of our neighbors was looking for breakfast too:

View attachment 990132

It was stinking hot, but at least in the mountains, it was not humid, and there was a breeze. Still ended up sweated and covered in saw dust day one, then sweated and covered in soot day two. Still a great time with some buddies at camp.
swell pix there Jre! thanks for the post, looks like a swell place to hang out. seems it was a busy day. sorta of an :surprised3:MG! moment to see that sort of breakfast company. well, imo....

:drinkingcoffee:

@chipper1 , Like I'd really like to have one but probably not ready for the price of a not available saw. I'd also be concerned about future parts as it hasn't been available here for years. If I do anything I'll probable get an Echo CS-4910 to replace my Stihl MS-250.
If there's nothing wrong with the 250 I don't think there would be any advantage getting the echo.

I dropped this beautiful stick of firewood yesterday. 40" on the stump. It was broke off about two thirds up and I hauled the top half out yesterday, (three loads) and I'll have the other half out of the woods today! Today will take two full War Wagon loads plus a small load of the last two butt rounds.👍 Good fun! 😂 IMG_20220523_121339279_HDR.jpg

Rounds and Ribbons my fellow Brethren, Cutters, and Sawyer's! 😉 Rounds and Ribbons! I'm hoping to get over two cords out of this spruce snag when it's all said and done! Until next time...
IMG_20220523_122750111_HDR.jpgCut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

I dropped this beautiful stick of firewood yesterday. 40" on the stump. It was broke off about two thirds up and I hauled the top half out yesterday, (three loads) and I'll have the other half out of the woods today! Today will take two full War Wagon loads plus a small load of the last two butt rounds.👍 Good fun! 😂 View attachment 990351

Rounds and Ribbons my fellow Brethren, Cutters, and Sawyer's! 😉 Rounds and Ribbons! I'm hoping to get over two cords out of this spruce snag when it's all said and done! Until next time...
View attachment 990353Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Looks like you're living the life! Stay safe!

Finally finished up the tree row. There was more we could have done, but the machine had to be back by 3. Ended up using the 359 today. The 562xp kept flooding itself (yes I tried a new plug, didn't help any.) Ended up getting a decent bit of cherry, black walnut, locust, and mulberry.(I finally started picking the logs back off the burn pile till dad got the message lol) went and dropped off the mini. Then ran back to dad's and finished cleaning up our tools and put the tractor away and what not. Dad asked what I was doing with my saw. Figured the way it was running something in the electronics of the carb wasn't working, so I told him I'd stop by the dealer on the way home and see what they had to say. Flooded it's self out good and proper. Was quoted $300.00 parts and labor. Told them I'd think about it. Shelves were basically bare of new saws. They said no new stock was expected until September at the earliest. (Small dealer closest to my house) went home. Put the trailer away and cleaned up the saws. Thought about it for a little and called the dealer across town. They had zero husqys comparable to the 562xp one ms400cm and one ms462.... asked if they would hold them till tomorrow.(they would be closed till I ran to the other side of town) got a resounding no....... ill post up pics of the ms400 I bought over the phone, when I pick it up tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• 20220523_092620.jpg
    20220523_092620.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220523_092616.jpg
    20220523_092616.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220523_092610.jpg
    20220523_092610.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
If there's nothing wrong with the 250 I don't think there would be any advantage getting the echo.
250 has been a beast to start. I put an aftermarket recoil on it and seems to be doing better. I haven't given up on it yet, this summer will tell. I agree there isn't really all that much between the 2 if the 250 will start and run.

250 has been a beast to start. I put an aftermarket recoil on it and seems to be doing better. I haven't given up on it yet, this summer will tell. I agree there isn't really all that much between the 2 if the 250 will start and run.
Get the echo...they start easy...

Couldn't help myself! Had to go get those last two butt cuts before supper! 😂 Took the 260 this time to buck a few 20" rounds to keep the big rounds from rolling around. 👍 The 260's power to weight ratio is pretty impressive to say the least when set up with the right size cutting implements. That little saw is quite the "little engine that could!" I like to run a 16" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp round chisel on her. She really performs with that set up for a small saw! Madsen's set it up with a 20" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp and also set it up with a 16" .50 gage bar and 3/8 full comp. I thought it was a bit to much for her to pull after running both set ups. When stepped it down to the .325 pitch on a 16" bar. The saw really performed and impressed the heck out of me! I was running 70cc and up for years before I bought the 260. I didn't know a 260 had that kind of power when set up properly! I'd put it up against a 270 any day of the week! 👍 IMG_20220523_204857041_HDR.jpg

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Back