Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have been a good group of guys :happy: .
I have a couple bike war stories; there's on two types of riders, those who have been down, and those who are going down :surprised3:.
i have never gone down, but close... i have had it roll over. stop sign. not my fault. rider bud apologized for weeks...

Got the 2x4's and the mud flaps removed from the bottom, I hope to use them to make some 7' ramps.
Hopefully I can get the front bottom cleaned up and then I'm ready to set it on top of the frame to moch it up on some boards so I can see where to cut the side 2x8's(and a couple of the cross members) and build little fenders.
Honestly I was very pleased to get all I got done on it today with the heat :baba:.
View attachment 998310
Saw these guys out messing with the frame today lol.
View attachment 998318
big project!; lookin' good. samo of for the deer shot, too... :)

A couple years ago I picked up a load of Kingsford charcoal at their plant in West Virginia. I remember Google Maps saying turn left from The Middle Of Nowhere and take the dirt two track up the side of the mountain and follow the truck tracks until you think you're in deep doo-doo, then go another ten miles.

Honestly, if you guys don't know the history of Kingsford Charcoal, look it up, as it's an interesting read.
ahh-h, come on! give us a hint....and
:givebeer:

This spring I went to Dollar General and they had a bunch of random bags of charcoal on clearance. Reason was they were on display in the window and the cardboard bags were faded. I bought them all. Down to about one bag left.

I can get a burn and a half out of my charcoal. Meaning if I shut down the grill as soon as I’m done cooking, the fire will die and I’ll only need half a load of new charcoal the next time plus the leftovers.
good. i pull my cast grates to not heat abuse them. and move any charcoal coals to side, reuse. but, imo... fresh is best... but it all heats up!

I don't rack up a ton of street miles and have been pretty lucky on the street.
That being said, I've got 1000's of hours riding dirt and have had my share of bad wrecks. I'm fairly quick in the dirt and don't make too many mistakes, but the rare times I do make mistakes, they hurt really bad.
The last "bad" dirt crash was back in early 2020, split my helmet open and tweaked my back pretty good, but I was able to 'ride' away from it. I think a lesser helmet would've equaled a head injury...despite my damaged helmet, I didn't feel any of the force in my head...my neck and back sure felt it though. That one messed with me mentally, as I've got a former racing buddy who is now in a chair after a racing incident...that's been my closest call.
i have picked thistles out of my knee before!!! lol ;)

I've had some bad ones on the dirt, and some long painful ones on the street. It sucks when all you can do is just surf it out until it eventually catches and sends you tumbling, then you get to look at your bike still sliding/tumbling when you finally stop :cry: .
The last one on the road I called my wife to pick me up, being the awesome woman she is she asked me if I wanted her to bring the trailer 😍, I said no, just hurry. When she got there and asked why I didn't want the trailer, I explained that I only had so much time before the adrenaline ran out and I needed to scrub out my wounds lol. She asked me not to ride not long after that one, it was the third time going down that summer and our son was 1, not sure why me doing wheelies past the van at 70+ was a problem, maybe it was when they didn't go so well :laugh:.
A friend from school and his father are both paralyzed waist down from dirt bike accidents :oops:.
He's a real go getter though, you should see his off-road wheelchair, looks like this one except better quality/ more H/D.
View attachment 998347
3 times bad news!!! my Dad used to climb mountain faces! my Mom saw some pix once and as she told me... upset her so much he quit when she asked him to. guess maybe b4 i had arrived.... maybe i was close. maybe just too young to remember being there. lol

For firewood I see no benefit with either, except what you mentioned, it's easier to source .050. I usually find better deals on the other sizes as they are more the odd ball, but with the x-cut chain being so new I think they are keeping the price up as it's "specialty" chain for husky.
The .063 is supposed to carry more oil for milling and long bar setups, I've never noticed a difference in my cutting. I sell everything .058/.063 and keep the .050 stuff for myself, but even so I still have a lot that isn't .050.
I will say that the x-cut chain is some of the best I've used, I believe that if the stihl RS fan boys gave it a chance they would switch, it's much smoother, holds and edge great (probably as hard as RS) and cuts just as fast as RS in hardwood.
i must be doing something wrong! stock and sharp works great for me....
:givebeer:

I spent most of my youth racing MX and Enduros and did OK with injuries except for one. Never owned a street bike but I was a motorcycle mechanic and got my fill of street riding testing the bikes I worked on, especially intermittent problems.
In MX I broke or cracked something in my left shoulder. Enduro in the Jersey Pine Barrons I broke a bone in my hand hitting a tree. Super tight trail and we would put 26" wide bars on the bikes for Jersey.
Enduro in North PA I came across a rider down with severe hip pain. Not much I could do and eventually others stopped to help including a trail sweeper. So I take off and start riding over my head to make up time. Hit a rock which shoots me into the woods where I hit a tree. So now I'm on the ground squirming with severe hip pain. This happened on top of a mountain and it took the ambulance crew over an hour to hike up to me. The trip back down in a basket was horrible even with morphine. I get wheeled into my room at the little hospital and laying in the other bed was the guy I stopped for, also with a broken hip. The doctor on call was an equestrian who hated dirt bikes. He was out riding his horse and had to be called into the hospital. I swear he was pushing and pulling on us just to create pain and being verbally abusive. :dumb:

A better day.
View attachment 998411
:picture:
:cool:

ah-h - the age of invicibility!! ~

That's awesome, not the accident/ hospital part ;).
I figured such with your username :p.
Back in the late 70s iirc (maybe early 80s), my buddies dad won a lot of woods races on a 490 Maico. One time we were Messing around with it and tipped it over, it was everything we could do to stand it back up 😆.
my Dad used to take me to the dirt circle races over in the UK. had a friend who raced sidecars bikes. hard core guys. i remember the plumes of their fuel... Dad said, he runs ok but never wins. every once in a while he gets a wild hair up..... and comes in first!

1656264914245.png

I have a little 12" dewalt... I'm kinda ashamed its become my go to lazy saw for small stuff around the house. 5ah batteries don't do too bad in it, does ok in hardwood, doesn't have near the chain speed of a gas saw but does have some grunt. Truth be told it's just easy to use and quiet.
that is how i came to really :heart: my lil Echo....
P1010031.JPG

Possibly the chain being dull or the rakers not set properly for the cutters. Sometimes opening up the hole in the bar will give enough to help on certain models, but I don't recall anyone having that problem with an 038.
Yep, if you already have .063, I see no immediate benefit to switching if your bar doesn't need replacing; but when it does, I'd consider .050.
not thinking of switching mine..... :cheers:

1656265605956.png

Got the rough opening for the tires to clear cut out today. Also removed some of the decking as I'm going to need to cut some off, and then I'll be cutting the dovetail off.
Would have gotten more done, but I let the smoke out of my buddies 50yr old saw:laughing:.
One time I fired it up to help cool it down and it blew out a ball of fire :blob2:.
View attachment 998585View attachment 998587
I was thinking about replacing it with this one, I think it's the exact same one :). He would tell me me not to, but it is a nice loaner. He has good pro grade finish carpentry tools(that dependingon the person he wouldn't lend out), he built all his kitchen cabinets with, they are all hickory.
View attachment 998596

View attachment 998592
how did u do that? schrader valve? :popcorn2:

No with this weird 1 to 9 shift I'm working, and working a lot of weekends I don't have a ton of time. But I'm not in a real hurry either. Neat project though.

I keep one of my old cubs around to mow with, I have a deck for the B but it's always in the way for loader work, and too wide really. 44 inch deck is needed to mow around half my yard. Could get by with a 50 but it would be tight. I'd love to get a another zero turn, but the last one didn't do hills very well. Just a cheap homeowners grade. I did borrow a friend's exmark and it did really well, but came with a $12k new price tag...
60" with rider comfort system... add a few more thou....

If you are concerned about chain prices, and come across a good deal in a different gauge (or DL count), consider buying a second bar to match. Guide bars are a consumable: you’ll need a new one eventually, anyways.

A good chain deal might cover the cost of a new bar. Just keep the different chains sorted out.

Philbert
i need to cut more wood! just not wearing out my chains fast enuff! :lol:

I'd really like another exmark, I buy them used so I don't have the same sticker shock as many do. It was a bummer I sold mine, but I'm sure it won't be long until I have another, just need to be patient. My exmark's have done great on hills, but if the grass is wet, you may want to wait if you could slide into anything unwanted :surprised3:. I can't stand removing or installing the deck on the kubota, it takes as long as it would take me to mow, at least with a 60" exmark lol.
ideal conditions: 4-6 acrs an hour!! 60"'r....

Back