Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why a maximum run time has to be included with the duty cycle; otherwise a 1 hour pull with a 19 hour recovery time is technically 5%. A 5 minute pull with a heavy load is probably more than any of them would recommend.
I look at it like this, if it can't make a full pull with one wrap on the drum at or near rated capacity. (Which rating goes down with the number of wraps on the drum... fun fact) till all the cable is spooled back in its a junk winch. They all get hot when they are being used, and there is typically a reasonable amount of time between pulls, id hazard you'll likely never hit even a light duty cycle even with a "light duty" winch thays sized properly for the load. Hence why I caught a cheap 12k winch. With the drum full of line (4 wraps) it's rating goes down to nearly half, so this needs taken into consideration as well.

I see what you did there!

That's a baby one, I have a couple that size in my woods too. But they can get much larger as you know.
They grow like weeds in Dad's woodlot, but they usually go to **** before they get to the 30" mark so they end up in the woodpile.

He didn't have to hike too much to get to his cabin, he went in by plane and landed on the lake, although it's true he was really trying to save weight in the plane when he first went in.

Most people think he lived out there full time, which isn't true. Also, he got a lot of help to live out there, a lot of his food and other things was flown into him.

SR
true. but in reading the journals/books about and by him... he did enough hiking over hill and dale to get my respect. Alsworth and he were pals...

**** Proenneke spent his first summer in the Twin Lakes region scouting out the best cabin site and cutting logs. He returned the next summer to build his cabin, stayed through that winter and the next summer before he returned to Iowa for the winter. **** hadn't planned on returning to Twin Lakes, but he changed his mind and returned the next spring and remained at Twin Lakes for 30 years, leaving only occasionally to visit his family.

I enjoy your pics and descriptions of what your doing. Coming from 4 generations of tree work, dating back before chainsaws, I “Understand” what you are saying. We did residential work with a lot of rigging over multi million dollar homes. Often removing one big ornamental to make a drop spot to chunk down 18” chunks, because we couldn’t dent the yard felling the log. That’s a dying skill. Now a days they say sorry no other way to do it, and just crush stuff up. One time my Dad went to a factory in Baltimore that made 8’X8’ burlap sheets, and bought a whole bale of them to cover the yard. The customer didn’t want any saw dust in the grass. I wish Dad had of taken more pics back then. I have one of Dads 3‘ hand saws hanging on the wall. People don’t believe that in our lifetime they used those to take down a tree. When I was a kid we still didn’t have small climbing saws, so all of our climbers had big hand saws. It was amazing to see how fast they could make a cut with hand saws.

Anyway, what I was going to say is, I’d feel pretty comfortable sharing techniques here. Most of these guys have multiple saws and know what a sharp saw is. Don’t do it on the Homeowner Helpers forum. You tell some one to make an open face cut and a fast back cut. You and I are using a 100CC saw with a 36” bar and razor sharp chain. The homeowner is using a 16” dull box store saw. Our face cut comes out in a perfect wedge. Theirs comes out in 3 pieces with multiple angles. Our fast back cut takes seconds, and is one cut. Theirs, the bar won’t make it through the cut, they are see sawing with their dull saw. You can never assume there equipment is in the condition ours is. My advice on that forum is, call a pro, live another day.

If anyone here sounds like the homeowner, that’s my back door way of saying don’t do what you think the pro is doing, it is dangerous.
I agree, 100%. Im not a pro by any means and not afraid or ashamed to tell someone no I wont or can't do this job safely. I watched my neighbor trying to take a tree down in the woods with a little battery saw, he must not have had it charged all the way or something. He got a "face" cut in it. And the saw went dead right after he started the diagonal back cut. He just left the fricken tree stand half cut! 😳 took the battery and went in the house, strong guy of wind came up and arse over tin cup the tree went. Right on top of his camper. I had even offered to take it down for him if he moved the camper (tree was leaning towards the camper to begin with. ) he basically told me to mind my business he's been cutting trees down longer then I'm alive. (May be true, just because he has 30-40 years on me) it's still laying on top his camper

hi h-R ... i guess a guy, let's say someone that has gotten 5...6... 7... maybe more could just read all the pages of posts first! then go back to their start point and start a Reply Post ~ :)

only prob i see is that the AS Timer Clocks prob would time out the member... :badpc:
Doesn't really matter to me how you reply - sometimes it makes sense to multiquote and sometimes not. I may use it if several guys have similar comments. 😀😃😄😁😆 Or if a wise guy tries to avoid something they said earlier... 😡

Do you think everyone with one will be as lucky as you were that day? And when it craps out later, will you say, that's ok, I overheated it really bad that time....

I know I wouldn't run my Badland winches that hard.

SR
Luck had nothing to do with it, and it was the original harbor freight 12k winch before badlands brand came out. And yes if it craps tomorrow, I'll go buy another and smile. I buy equipment to use and when it's hit a certain time/hr/miles it doesn't owe me **** any more. That winch has pulled more then it owes me, and lasted a lot longer then I ever expected it to, so yeah I'll be pissed I can't get whatever particular job done, break.out the chain come along then go buy another cheap winch.

Do you think everyone with one will be as lucky as you were that day? And when it craps out later, will you say, that's ok, I overheated it really bad that time....

I know I wouldn't run my Badland winches that hard.

SR
in the contest of Chinese vs US-made... i go with the latter. i have done some utube-U research/reviews in the case of a cordless drill. internal components vary as to quality and capability. light-weight components just cannot take the heat. and some abuse their tools. as in the case of one belly-acher in an A-z review of a cordless drill... who complained the drill just will/would not hold up... after he bought the cheapest offering... and noted it failed after 3 days of driving in deck screws! :rolleyes:

i do really like my B&D cordless drill. and i am a 110-v man! i have an amped up bat for it, special set of dW drills and a special tool bag for all of the components. i don't drive deck screws with it... and i do not get it dirty, greasy or grimmie...

With the drum full of line (4 wraps) it's rating goes down to nearly half, so this needs taken into consideration as well.
Exactly right! Full load for the motor may not be at the rated max of the winch. 6000 lb pull with 4 wraps of cable on the drum is as bad as a 12,000 lb pull with 1 wrap.

Ok the new beater car pics. I did manage to get it running this morning. Still needs a throttle position sensor, valve covers leak, so I'll do them, intake gaskets, pcv valve (know issue and a pain to get at.) And any hoses under the intake that look questionable. Couldn't take it for a drive as the TPS caused it to go into limp mode and throttle response just sucked.

Attachments

• 20220702_113025.jpg
    20220702_113025.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220702_113016.jpg
    20220702_113016.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220702_113033.jpg
    20220702_113033.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
in the contest of Chinese vs US-made... i go with the latter. i have done some utube-U research/reviews in the case of a cordless drill. internal components vary as to quality and capability. light-weight components just cannot take the heat. and some abuse their tools. as in the case of one belly-acher in an A-z review of a cordless drill... who complained the drill just will/would not hold up... after he bought the cheapest offering... and noted it failed after 3 days of driving in deck screws! :rolleyes:

i do really like my B&D cordless drill. and i am a 110-v man! i have an amped up bat for it, special set of dW drills and a special tool bag for all of the components. i don't drive deck screws with it... and i do not get it dirty, greasy or grimmie...
Roger that, but there is a cost vs use thing to consider as well. I could have gotten a nice worm drive warn winch for peanuts and fixed the burned out motor but it would have cost twice what the cheapo winch did, and you have to understand this cheap winch in particular is close to 12 to 15 years old and had served me very well. I literally bought it for $200.00 right out of high school when we started four wheeling every weekend. Can't say a Warren would have lasted any longer.
Exactly right! Full load for the motor may not be at the rated max of the winch. 6000 lb pull with 4 wraps of cable on the drum is as bad as a 12,000 lb pull with 1 wrap.
Funny part is they had a little chart that came with the winch saying as much, so I knew that when I got it. Not all manufacturers even bother to tell you that, or the gearing of the planetary gears. Always found that odd.

Couldn't take it for a drive as the TPS caused it to go into limp mode and throttle response just sucked.
I bought a nice Jeep Cherokee one time for half of the book value - guy was told the transmission needed to be replaced because it wouldn't hold a gear. Turns out a $35 TPS made it drive as good as new. :numberone:

I agree, 100%. Im not a pro by any means and not afraid or ashamed to tell someone no I wont or can't do this job safely. I watched my neighbor trying to take a tree down in the woods with a little battery saw, he must not have had it charged all the way or something. He got a "face" cut in it. And the saw went dead right after he started the diagonal back cut. He just left the fricken tree stand half cut! 😳 took the battery and went in the house, strong guy of wind came up and arse over tin cup the tree went. Right on top of his camper. I had even offered to take it down for him if he moved the camper (tree was leaning towards the camper to begin with. ) he basically told me to mind my business he's been cutting trees down longer then I'm alive. (May be true, just because he has 30-40 years on me) it's still laying on top his camper
right! it is all relative. i do not cut wood for a living, but i do cut a lot of wood. that is compared to any of my neighbors, friends and acquaintances. (7 wood burning fireplaces!) it wasn't free nor cheap actually. but i am glad i had a pro take down my big oak tree project. it had become a dangerous tree! it had rotted nearly thru the lower trunk. had i dropped it, i would have had to clean up the mess! and i am sure i would have had the COH visit me before i got it accomplished... ie blocking the street! ground out the stump. tended to it all, cleaned it up, kept the bits pcs of wood for campwood... raked and cleaned it... and then on hands n knees, wing and a prayer... i hand planted st augustine grass sprigs. some i grew in bird bath sev weeks to sprout roots, then cut sections... and day before i made the first mower cutting of that spot...
P1010021.JPG

As I get older the hand truck becomes my friend (for lots of stuff I used to just carry or roll), and I even used the winch on my ATV to lift/tilt up a large piece of bluestone that I used to just muscle up (about 5' X 3" and very heavy). It takes more time, but save me!
OK, I took some pics of my "finished" project. There were two sets of pipes to deal with, which increased the difficulty as often one set was under the other. Cutting holes in the driveway and hoping you cut in the right spot to find the pipes was a nightmare, especially not know how deep they were.
[ :surprised3: ... omg, did it! :happybanana:]

. hi MM... swell pix! i see the pix with the pick... but was hoping to see the hand truck, too! maybe not needed in that job. i have a hand truck job coming up. bin up some leaves across street and put in compost...

Ok the new beater car pics. I did manage to get it running this morning. Still needs a throttle position sensor, valve covers leak, so I'll do them, intake gaskets, pcv valve (know issue and a pain to get at.) And any hoses under the intake that look questionable. Couldn't take it for a drive as the TPS caused it to go into limp mode and throttle response just sucked.
nice lil ride! and all that for $600!?

thinking the lil lady will like it once u get all the final issues sorted out!

thanks for the pix! i am just here for the pix.... :popcorn2:

Latest posts

Back