Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kindling?
For the bonfire :blob2:.
I'll be lighting that soon again since the temps are dropping overnight here now and we got some good rain. Then I need to clean it out, probably 7 or 8 loads of ash in there using the little tractor, it really needs cleaned.

Just came in from putting out the trash and recycling. Never have much of either. I was greeted to a large wasp nest full of wasps when i opened the recycling been. It was a surprise cause a month ago I sprayed a nest half that size in there. Thot I got them all cause it was so early in the morning. So much for that idea. Killed a bunch today again.
I expect them and am leary of moving stuff at the cabin, but not here at the house.

Hey guys.

Couple of things:

The last time I had stumps ground here it was two dollars an inch and he let you run the measuring tape. Good guy, retired and does this as a hobby.

In addition to the wind storm a month ago that was probably the second worst windstorm in my lifetime, we had a significant burst last week and several people lost trees. I only lost one balsam that I’ve been meaning to cut anyway.

Yesterday and the boys spend about eight hours each working at my neighbors clearing brush. In addition to them lining their wallets nicely for their time, we ended up with about a cord of mixed softwood for free.

Hope all is well with you folks, this week’s project is fixing my sons F150, the composite cam gear stripped out on the straight six.

5AC97DFE-228F-4D21-91EA-E57C9DA096AB.jpeg0519973F-3E66-4A5D-8486-FC0B994EB2B9.jpeg

Hey guys.

Couple of things:

The last time I had stumps ground here it was two dollars an inch and he let you run the measuring tape. Good guy, retired and does this as a hobby.

In addition to the wind storm a month ago that was probably the second worst windstorm in my lifetime, we had a significant burst last week and several people lost trees. I only lost one balsam that I’ve been meaning to cut anyway.

Yesterday and the boys spend about eight hours each working at my neighbors clearing brush. In addition to them lining their wallets nicely for their time, we ended up with about a quart of mixed softwood for free.

Hope all is well with you folks, this week’s project is fixing my sons F150, the composite cam gear stripped out on the straight six.

View attachment 1005493View attachment 1005495
when their miles get high enough, they are notorious for that

It was another nice day out today, I made lumber!

Here's one of the logs, headed to the BSM,

Resized-20220725-124641-S.jpg

With it loaded on the mills deck, I made the first cut,

Resized-20220725-135342-S.jpg

and then went around, taking slabs off to make a cant,

Resized-20220725-140424-S.jpg

With a cant made, I started taking 2x12's off,

Resized-20220725-131826-S.jpg

With a few more logs milled, I started to get a nice pile of lumber built up!

Resized-20220725-152751-1-S.jpg

All of the slabs, get cut up for firewood,

Resized-20220725-153028-S.jpg

SR

Luckily its not an interference engine! From what I hear the main goal is to get all of the bits of gear out of the oil pan so they don't circulate.
Definite! I had a 400M that did that. Little chunks would jam up the distributor gear and shear the pin. Cost me more than one muffler! Ultimately, I ended up pulling the intake and the pan and flushing it out with 20 gallons of fuel oil.

I had my ultrasound yesterday, waiting for the surgical appointment now. I am NOT looking forward to being on restricted activity. I'm too active to just sit around. May have to take up walking again if that at leasst will be authorized.
I had robotic surgery about two years ago and I was on restricted lifting for only 10 days. I was amazed.

Some pics of my last scrounge out at my sister’s house, I drove out with the kids and my dad so had 3 generations of scroungers.

We took this dead Eucalyptus down and diced it up. Had the Ms201, 550XP, PS7900 and ported MS661. My BIL also had his MS170 and 455 rancher.

The limbs had to be felled at shoulder height I used the 661 with 28” bar for this. I was not a big fan felling with the angry beast at shoulder height, I should have used the 7900 for this job.

In the end I put one tank through the 661, 2 tanks through the 7900, 2 tanks through the 550xp and 4 tanks through the MS201.

This was the first time I’ve given the 201 a good run and I have to say I loved it. So much nicer in the hand than the 170. You could seriously run the 201 all day and not get worn out.

I had a run of the BIL’s saws and they get the job done just not as nice to use.
Ended up with a good 3 cord of wood.
1658796778434.png
1658796800802.png

1658796827219.png

1658796845889.png

1658796867225.png

Definite! I had a 400M that did that. Little chunks would jam up the distributor gear and shear the pin. Cost me more than one muffler! Ultimately, I ended up pulling the intake and the pan and flushing it out with 20 gallons of fuel oil.
I didn’t notice any bits of gear around the crank so hopefully it’s all down in the pan. One of my friends mentioned dropping the pan and another one said I’m going to need a lift the engine to drop the pan which makes that sound a lot less fun. I guess I’ll need to take a look at that and see.

Cut 2 more slabs tonight. Here's the 660 with the 42" bar on it.20220725_204240.jpg
Some beautiful grain...
20220725_204409.jpg
The widest slab at 32" just about maxed out the 36" mill. I should be able to get 3 more nice slabs. As Mike said she sucks gas. It used a little less than 1/2 tank per 48" long cut.

The "free" state of Idaho don't sound as free as the name would imply :laugh:.
The prices I've heard are $3-4 an inch measured at the ground, obviously there are variables to consider such as distance to the job, how many stumps, are the stumps decomposing or harder woods, and are you just grinding, leaving the chips, raking chips, removing them and adding topsoil and seeding.
I just saw an ad for $5 an inch measured at the top in Mass.

I didn’t notice any bits of gear around the crank so hopefully it’s all down in the pan. One of my friends mentioned dropping the pan and another one said I’m going to need a lift the engine to drop the pan which makes that sound a lot less fun. I guess I’ll need to take a look at that and see.
We used to replace a couple rusted through Ford oil pans a month when the late 80s to 96 trucks were more common. The 300 definitely needs the engine to be lifted. We had a 2×6 with a half circle cut out on one end to match the balancer. After removing the fan and shroud we would jack the engine enough to slip the pan out to the rear. You also have to remove the oil pickup and maybe the oil pump to get it to come out. It's been at least ten years since I did one. Not terribly hard but it's messy.

Some pics of my last scrounge out at my sister’s house, I drove out with the kids and my dad so had 3 generations of scroungers.

We took this dead Eucalyptus down and diced it up. Had the Ms201, 550XP, PS7900 and ported MS661. My BIL also had his MS170 and 455 rancher.

The limbs had to be felled at shoulder height I used the 661 with 28” bar for this. I was not a big fan felling with the angry beast at shoulder height, I should have used the 7900 for this job.

In the end I put one tank through the 661, 2 tanks through the 7900, 2 tanks through the 550xp and 4 tanks through the MS201.

This was the first time I’ve given the 201 a good run and I have to say I loved it. So much nicer in the hand than the 170. You could seriously run the 201 all day and not get worn out.

I had a run of the BIL’s saws and they get the job done just not as nice to use.
Ended up with a good 3 cord of wood.
View attachment 1005558
View attachment 1005559

View attachment 1005560

View attachment 1005561

View attachment 1005562
I'm not sure you posted this in the right thread :laugh: .
That's a lot of wood, and what a pain felling like that. That's when a tractor bucket comes in handy.
That's a nice selection of saws, great 4 saw plan you have, how nice it is to have the right saw for the job. You already know it, but I really wouldn't want to be without the little saws myself, my ms201 and ms200 rear handles get run quite a bit, glad you're enjoying it.

Back