Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hint for your wife.
Find a sport she enjoys. Run her hard at it. If she has a competitive bone in her body she'll be tossing the cigs after she she sees stars a time or three.
I cured my wife by taking her cross country skiing. One or two uphill slogs, seeing stars did it. That was 25 years ago, she hasn't smoked since.

I'm supposed to be on vacation this week, yet there are saws in my pickup lol.

Did an epic day of high country singletrack on the moto, came home tonight and had to unload the moto stuff, and load saw stuff into it. Early day tomorrow, IDK why I'm still up...side work climbing and falling for a buddy's land clearing biz.

The only pic I took from today's ride:
View attachment 1008505

...and back to reality lol:
View attachment 1008506
Looks like some good fun riding!!! 👍

I sure miss riding my 300. I couldn't bring it over here to camp. No off road vehicles are allowed on Afognak Island!

Hint for your wife.
Find a sport she enjoys. Run her hard at it. If she has a competitive bone in her body she'll be tossing the cigs after she she sees stars a time or three.
I cured my wife by taking her cross country skiing. One or two uphill slogs, seeing stars did it. That was 25 years ago, she hasn't smoked since.
Good luck getting her to do any sort of sports. She has no competitive anything in her. She did quit each time she was planning on getting pregnant. Don't know why she ever started up again. I'll eventually get her convinced.

Was 80* already 8:00 this morning, and we have been over 90* every day for weeks. No rain either, even though they keep predicting it.

Last night we had Thunder for about 20 minutes, but not a drop of rain fell.

Our Spring was very wet, but now all the lawns are turning brown. Hope it changes soon.

With the mini 14s (one scoped one not) I just put up a large target backing at 25 yds so I'm on the paper and go from there.

It's been raining PLENTY here for the last week or so. Not an all day thing, but enough that it will stop you from doing whatever it is outside that you want to do. But I'm tired of it, so I went out into my woods to continue busting some trail through it. I had some downed maple trees that were laying across where I want the UTV trail to be, so I drug those out to be bucked up and split later this week. The smaller one looks like it'll be punky inside, but it felt solid when I chained it up. We'll see once I cut into it.

The yellow waypoints are where the first part of the trail is going in, with more to follow later. The purple waypoints are new spots that I moved a couple of trail cams to. I put them there so I'd remember where they are. I've got 8 of them up, and sometimes forget where I've moved them to LOL!

8-7-1.jpg

8-7-2.jpg

8-7-5.jpg

8-7-6.jpg

@Logger nate I was thinking of you a bit ago.
The power company came to run power underground to the barn from the pole. They shot a fish tape from the pole to the meter socket, then pulled a 1/2 rope(just like many of my 9/16 ropes), then used a Milwaukee drill run capstan with to pull the cable to the socket. Have you used that drill operated winch you bought a while back at all.
The whole cart gets lifted onto the meter socket, pretty cool setup, it pulled all the rope/wire piled up in the picture like it was nothing.
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.19.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.19.58 PM.png

Is that an old Honda generator on the table.
Found a new truck for you :).
View attachment 1008646
I had the Chevy version of that truck in an '89. It had a 454 with a 4.11 rear end. Very little HP. Less than 200 if I remember correctly. But it would push snow like nobody's business.

I had the Chevy version of that truck in an '89. It had a 454 with a 4.11 rear end. Very little HP. Less than 200 if I remember correctly. But it would push snow like nobody's business.
Nice.
Here's one a little closer to you, even closer yet on a sled this winter lol.
I looked for a 4x4 suburban 2500 for a long time, settled for the 2wd excursion.
Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 2.45.09 PM.png

Nice.
Here's one a little closer to you, even closer yet on a sled this winter lol.
I looked for a 4x4 suburban 2500 for a long time, settled for the 2wd excursion.
View attachment 1008660
Ironically, I did pick up an old Cat ZR 900 this past Winter just for nostalgia's sake! I always wanted one when they were new, but couldn't afford one at the time. Then this one came across my computer last Winter, and it had less than 2K on the odometer. So, I just had to go pick it up! My newer sleds sure ride a lot more comfortably, but this one "takes me back" when I ride it, and flat-out hauls the mail LOL!

ZR 900.jpg

ZR 900-2.jpg

Ironically, I did pick up an old Cat ZR 900 this past Winter just for nostalgia's sake! I always wanted one when they were new, but couldn't afford one at the time. Then this one came across my computer last Winter, and it had less than 2K on the odometer. So, I just had to go pick it up! My newer sleds sure ride a lot more comfortably, but this one "takes me back" when I ride it, and flat-out hauls the mail LOL!

View attachment 1008664

View attachment 1008665
Just skip right across, probably need to drive the burban back, you can just put the sled in the back lol.
That does look like a fun ride. The crotch rockets I used to build/ride were fast, but dang the sleds move out, they'll definitely suck your eyes into your head :oops: .

Just skip right across, probably need to drive the burban back, you can just put the sled in the back lol.
That does look like a fun ride. The crotch rockets I used to build/ride were fast, but dang the sleds move out, they'll definitely suck your eyes into your head :oops: .
I had ONE crotch rocket back in the day. I had to sell it. I knew myself well enough that if I kept riding it I would have ended up an organ donor. Ended up migrating to Harleys and toured a large portion of the country on them. With back problems, I sold my Street Glide a few years ago, but am now getting the itch for a new one again. We'll see if that persists for a while and I get another one or not.

I had ONE crotch rocket back in the day. I had to sell it. I knew myself well enough that if I kept riding it I would have ended up an organ donor. Ended up migrating to Harleys and toured a large portion of the country on them. With back problems, I sold my Street Glide a few years ago, but am now getting the itch for a new one again. We'll see if that persists for a while and I get another one or not.
C'mon man, it'll be fun :laugh: .
I've got plenty of scars from riding :yes:.
My wife asked me stop riding when our boy was 1, I'm not sure if it was me having wiped out 3 times that summer or the wheelies past the van at 70 for the boy :happy:. After I sold the bike I was riding at the time, I only rode a few times to give a nice shakedown to the ones I built before selling them. Not long ago a buddy swung over on a newer vmax(2nd gen), he knows I used to ride and has seen me ride his dirt bikes since I did the maintenance on them; he said take it for a spin, I said no thanks, he said you don't have to be afraid, I said I'm not afraid of the bike, just what I'll do when I get on it. You know a power wheelie was only a few hundred ft away from where we were standing, and theres a nice straight stretch we used to run our cars on as teens about 3 mins away, I need to run the other direction!

Back in high-school one of my close friends had a 3500 chevy with a 454 in it. Had an issue on cylinder 8. Always fouled the plug in no time. We called it the most powerful 7 cylinder ever built lol. It was a late 80' or early 90's truck. We had a lot of fun in it. Was actually reliable save for having to keep a carton of plugs on hand lol.

Back in high-school one of my close friends had a 3500 chevy with a 454 in it. Had an issue on cylinder 8. Always fouled the plug in no time. We called it the most powerful 7 cylinder ever built lol. It was a late 80' or early 90's truck. We had a lot of fun in it. Was actually reliable save for having to keep a carton of plugs on hand lol.
Saw a 7 lug ford for sale yesterday lol.

Reading these last few posts is like a trip down memory lane. We had a 600 triple artic cat for year as well as a bunch of wankle powered skido sleds. I still think my favorite was an indy 440 fan air double, high rpm comet, tubed pipes and the carbs were jetted. Colder it got the better it ran, but never kept up with that 600 triple. Wish it snowed more around here would have an excuse to get another sled.

Back