Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SVK, the 870 is my favorite, and I bought mine when I was 18! (1st gun purchase I did not have to bring a parent with me).

However, if you check out the features (and what they did) to the Winchester SXP Black Shadow you will be impressed. Cabelea's will have them on sale soon with a 28" vent rib barrel for $250 ... a steal IMO!

Is the 94 a rifle or carbine? I have my Buffalo Bill Commemorative with the 26" octagon barrel. The 26" barrel adds 150 FPS velocity over the 20" barrel (Per the old Remington brochures and I have checked it with the Chronograph).
Rifle. I believe it is an early 70's build so not collectible just has a lot of sentimental value to me because it came from one of my dad's best friends who hunted with it at our cabin.

The factory rear sight was a joke so I had the gunsmith install a Skinner peep sight and a set of sling mounts. I figured a few holes in the gun (which will never be collectible) will make it much more useful. Honestly have no plans to sell it ever.

IMG_20220809_120026820_HDR.jpg

Yes, it happened on the heaviest pull. A downhill 24' section of oak 28" in diameter. We had a lot of sidehill stuff that apparently left some slack loops and it finally got under the guard and around everything. Yep, it busted the chain. Other than that and a spring getting eaten up that's it. Hope to have it together next week. It is still, in my opinion, the best firewood related tool I've ever bought. Heck, this isn't as bad as when the cable tried to tie itself to everything inside the winch housing. That took a few cut off wheels to solve.

Shea

View attachment 1009078

Yes, it happened on the heaviest pull. A downhill 24' section of oak 28" in diameter. We had a lot of sidehill stuff that apparently left some slack loops and it finally got under the guard and around everything. Yep, it busted the chain. Other than that and a spring getting eaten up that's it. Hope to have it together next week. It is still, in my opinion, the best firewood related tool I've ever bought. Heck, this isn't as bad as when the cable tried to tie itself to everything inside the winch housing. That took a few cut off wheels to solve.

Shea
Ouch…what kind of skidder?

That's cool, nice alternate to a rope winch(masdaam rope puller).
I'd like something like that for when I can't get the big tractor/skidding winch into smaller spots.

View attachment 1008989View attachment 1008990

The drill winch is pretty much useless for firewood, lol. Guess it does ok for small pieces and short distance. I have used it quite a bit doing tree work, works quite well for that , pulling trees overView attachment 1008976Thats pretty cool what the power company did. Your making good progress, looks good!

I have a Rule G1800 chainsaw winch powered by what looks like a Homelite XL. Used it once. Works all right but sloooowww. I can stretch cables and snatch blocks almost as fast as setting winch up and then pull with my truck much faster. So far I haven't run into any place I couldn't reach with my cables.

Here's some pics from part of today's strip. I took a video of myself clearing over a 1/4 acre in 20 minutes on one tank of gas. When I get better cell service. I'll upload the video to You Tube. Until then. Here's some screenshots gentleman. 👍

The standScreenshot_20220810-174136~2.pngthe start upScreenshot_20220810-174720~2.pngfirst treeScreenshot_20220810-175127~2.pngScreenshot_20220810-175127~2.pngcrippling up number three of a four tree drive Screenshot_20220810-173251~2.png the drive Screenshot_20220810-173050~2.pngwatching for directional movement before last tree commits Screenshot_20220810-173545~2.png the fallScreenshot_20220810-173611~2.png
Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

I have a Rule G1800 chainsaw winch powered by what looks like a Homelite XL. Used it once. Works all right but sloooowww. I can stretch cables and snatch blocks almost as fast as setting winch up and then pull with my truck much faster. So far I haven't run into any place I couldn't reach with my cables.
I've ran one of those before. Just never came across one to buy locally.
The skidding winch on my tractor reaches over 200', and I have hundreds of feet of 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8 rope, so reach isn't an issue. Sometimes since I'm working alone I need to have the controls closer so I can make quick adjustments and so I can see the pull.
I may be getting a job that I'll buy another couple hundred feet of 5/8 for, not that I totally need 5/8, but If I have that much line out I don't want as much stretch as 9/16 would give. I really like that there is no stretch on the cable, I can adjust my pull according to how much the tree moves when pulled and know what to expect, that's harder to determine with the stretch in a rope as it's one more variable.

More than we can ever pull before it rots...

We have a triaxle load out now, and we weren't even in the good stuff. There are full logs the logger left...spent time to cut down, cut to length, and left.
That's great.
Can you pull the logs out and sell them. Not sure why they called them, or did they cut and run 🤔, but many times logs the mill won't take can be sold to the Amish.

Here's some pics from part of today's strip. I took a video of myself clearing over a 1/4 acre in 20 minutes on one tank of gas. When I get better cell service. I'll upload the video to You Tube. Until then. Here's some screenshots gentleman. 👍

The standView attachment 1009192the start upView attachment 1009200first treeView attachment 1009201View attachment 1009201crippling up number three of a four tree drive View attachment 1009204 the drive View attachment 1009202watching for directional movement before last tree commits View attachment 1009205 the fallView attachment 1009207
Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍
Nice work.
Looks like someone's gonna be playing some serious pick up sticks. You weren't joking when you said he put you on the crap strip, looks like you're handling it just fine though :).
Be safe out there.

Nice work.
Looks like someone's gonna be playing some serious pick up sticks. You weren't joking when you said he put you on the crap strip, looks like you're handling it just fine though :).
Be safe out there.
That was a gravy strip compared to the s**t I was slash'n the other day! 😉 Here's some of what I was slash cutt'n the other day. 👎IMG_20220808_063407993.jpgIMG_20220808_063142896_HDR.jpg

Now here's some bigger timber on steep ground! Sending a three foot old growth spruce off a 100' bluff.👍Screenshot_20220811-023659~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-023725~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-023754~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-023823~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-023834~2.pngScreenshot_20220811-040709~2.pngthe tree ended up lodged half way down the bluff below the lower stump . The tree off the lower stump is in the bottom of the draw out of sight.😉 Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍

Ouch…what kind of skidder?
It's an Igland skidding winch....3501. have it on the back of a tractor. It has roughly 160' on the spool, we have a 100' extension when it's down in the holler so to speak. At least they're easy to work on. Everything of importance is attached to the plate that comes out. I'll add some pics.IMG_20220809_120036185_HDR.jpgIMG_20220809_110428544.jpg

If I had the parts it would be an easy fix I believe. I'll pull the guard and fix the cable, replace the clutch arm return spring and then put a new chain on. I've got way too much wood, and this tool is necessary for that addiction.

Shea

It's an Igland skidding winch....3501. have it on the back of a tractor. It has roughly 160' on the spool, we have a 100' extension when it's down in the holler so to speak. At least they're easy to work on. Everything of importance is attached to the plate that comes out. I'll add some pics.View attachment 1009252View attachment 1009253

If I had the parts it would be an easy fix I believe. I'll pull the guard and fix the cable, replace the clutch arm return spring and then put a new chain on. I've got way too much wood, and this tool is necessary for that addiction.

Shea
What a mess, but like you said they are very simple tools. I did the clutch on mine a yr and a half ago, wish I would have done it sooner, very easy. The hardest parts are getting the winch on/off the tractor, and pulling the spool assembly from the winch as it's heavy. The part I liked the least on mine was dealing with all the grease, the previous owner had it everywhere, which is the reason the clutch went bad.
Hope you can get it back together soon.

Between everything else going on, I'm still trying to get the two loads of logs milled, here's a pretty nice pine log going on the BSM,

Resized-20220809-114648-S.jpg

I'm milling these into 2x4's, 6's, 8's, 10's, and 12's, whatever the log will produce,

Resized-20220809-115841-S.jpg

The load of pine is now done,

Resized-20220809-155702-S.jpg

SO, it's now time to get started on the second load of logs,

Resized-20220809-155551-S.jpg

SR

Latest posts

Back