Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I cut two of the tubs in half for covers. Those do fit nicely. I still need to trim them down and drill holes in them for straps.
I posted this before. My cages didn't have liners so I made my own roofs out of scrounged materials. One is for fresh cutoffs which will be burned next year, and the other is for burning this year. Pic doesn't show an opening I cut into the front.

I do have one liner that I was going to use for a rain barrel, but i broke the valve. So I'm going to turn it into a raised bed liner like I did with a 55 gal drum.
IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0951.jpg

Here it is oak,hickory, pecan, the hardest is Brazilian Walnut, that I have worked with.
All oak is softer than Hickory.
I found this list for wood. In the Northeast we call Hard Maple Rock Maple because it is just that, hard as a rock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220820-064857_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220820-064857_Samsung Internet.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 0
So, you got those 348 dies???

I also try to get a lot of 22 ammo for the grandkids, kids and myself to practice and plink with. Great for developing your offhand skills.
I did! They weren’t all that expensive either.

A fellow on the 35 caliber Facebook page had offered me Redding dies for 125 but I ended up getting Lee dies for 35. Not in any way am I disputing that the Redding dies weren’t worth the money but I’ll probably only load 100-200 rounds for this gun in my life.

1/2 a tank full through the 365 today and blocked up the pile of huge crotches and gnarlies into easily manageable pieces and 7 wheelbarrow loads later most is shifted to the back garden. I've still 2-3 'barrow loads to move but it was late so they can wait. I've left the totally horrid, will just need blocking up with the 'saw stuff in the hope some foolish person knocks again and asks if they can have some wood 😂
tbh I'll be pleased if I can split 1/2 the stuff i've shifted, its horrid, it really is....but its as easy to run the 'saw and block up as it is to run it off to the tip, and I get the heat back at least, so its a PITA but t gets blocked up
knowing I probably don't have much more cutting to do this year and needing mix I mixed just a litre (metric quart) . I feel nervous mixing small amounts as a couple of ml of oil changes the ratio so much, but i err on too much oil for safety. Although I could need to mix at least another litre yet, I'm not good at estimating fuel use when it comes to blocking up other than its lot more than bucking logs to rounds.

I'm glad I've got the wood stacks full, the latest prediction for our gas and electricity prices is 6 times higher than it was last year. I reckoned it took me 4.5+ winters to pay back my investment in 2 stoves, the installs, 2 chainsaws, PPE, multiple axes and mauls, chimney brushes, companion sets and any other bits. if the predictions are right I'd save s much again in just the coming winter.

Quick saw.bar question. I've never bothered before but my husky bar has a lube hole for the nose sprocket. Oil or grease? and easiest way to do? I'm thinking a syringe will probably work as well as a grease gun but...?

Quick saw.bar question. I've never bothered before but my husky bar has a lube hole for the nose sprocket. Oil or grease? and easiest way to do? I'm thinking a syringe will probably work as well as a grease gun but...?
Whole threads on this. Either always grease or never grease.

If you grease, buy one of the special grease guns: pretty cheap (ignore the brand names below).

D46D63C5-6050-44FD-BD49-96D186877C29.jpeg

Philbert

1/2 a tank full through the 365 today and blocked up the pile of huge crotches and gnarlies into easily manageable pieces and 7 wheelbarrow loads later most is shifted to the back garden. I've still 2-3 'barrow loads to move but it was late so they can wait. I've left the totally horrid, will just need blocking up with the 'saw stuff in the hope some foolish person knocks again and asks if they can have some wood 😂
tbh I'll be pleased if I can split 1/2 the stuff i've shifted, its horrid, it really is....but its as easy to run the 'saw and block up as it is to run it off to the tip, and I get the heat back at least, so its a PITA but t gets blocked up
knowing I probably don't have much more cutting to do this year and needing mix I mixed just a litre (metric quart) . I feel nervous mixing small amounts as a couple of ml of oil changes the ratio so much, but i err on too much oil for safety. Although I could need to mix at least another litre yet, I'm not good at estimating fuel use when it comes to blocking up other than its lot more than bucking logs to rounds.

I'm glad I've got the wood stacks full, the latest prediction for our gas and electricity prices is 6 times higher than it was last year. I reckoned it took me 4.5+ winters to pay back my investment in 2 stoves, the installs, 2 chainsaws, PPE, multiple axes and mauls, chimney brushes, companion sets and any other bits. if the predictions are right I'd save s much again in just the coming winter.

Supposed to be grease, most of us used a mini grease gun with the needle tip. I suppose a man could use a needle tip adapter for a standard grease gun. Seems to be a 50/50 deal honestly. Some guys grease them religiously and other guys claim it has no benefit. I haven't bothered to do mine with the 2 current D009 HVA bars that I run as I personally feel that the little bit of bar oil they get and an occasional shot of PB Blaster keeps them well lubed.

Taught my oldest grandson (15) how to reload yesterday, so today I took him to the range with some of the reloads he made.

I was very pleased the 223 bolt gun was shooting 3/4" at 100 yds. That is easily good enough to waste a chuck at 200 yds, and it does not need to do more than that.

I got a Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 when they first came out. At the time, they asked purchasers for suggestions. I suggested they also chamber it in 223. They replied that they did not intend to do that, but I guess others made the same suggestion because sure enough, they soon chambered it in 223. Mine is the light weight standard model, which is no longer offered in 223 (only the heavier barrel "predator" models are, which are tack drivers) but weight 1/2 lb more.

My load is fairly stout, a 52 grain Hornady BTHP over 26.5 grains of H-335. The 223 is very pleasant to shoot, you barely feel any recoil.

The important thing is, we BOTH had a good time!
swell story. i can remember sitting side by side with my Dad's reloading set up. him explaining all that was going on...

pop the old primer, resize casing, install new, measure powder, pour to case, bullet in, seat and crimp... etc.

his bullet speeds, fps, always a bit faster than over the counter rounds!! ;)

Back