Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, that makes two of us! 🤣
If you guys don’t want to feel compelled to buy new guns, do not join any Facebook groups that are specific to certain calibers or actions… The worst peer pressure ever lol

Then I’ve got @MechanicMatt pestering me to see if I went back and bought the octagon barrel model 94 lol.

Today I bought an MS271 Farm Boss with an 18 inch bar and a couple chains. Been wanting that "smaller" Stihl saw for a while (my main saw has been an MS391)...had an excuse today.

I'm in the field (work), brought my little Homelite 3518 (which should be a 35cc saw but is actually a 42cc) because I didn't expect much use. It turns out it's needed a lot. I'm not running it, since I'm project oversight; but the chain kept popping off for the kid...and it eventually got damaged (chewed some of the drive links off). So off I was shopping for chains in an area that has very few trees...I found this MS271 on the shelf and just pulled the trigger.

This place then sent me to a bicycle shop that sharpens saw chains, WTF? This guy knew his chains, he quickly figured out the bar was 0.050 and the chain was 0.043. I'm still confused by that one as I bought the saw new with this bar and this semi-chisel anti-kickback homeowner chain. So it is no wonder the chain popped off all the time. He made me three loops of Stihl RS 0.050 and WOW does it cut now. This little Homelite cuts really good now for being a oddball. If it had always cut this good, I would not have bought another saw!

So the MS271 is on the backseat, still dry, hopefully going home that way. I almost bought an MS279, which had a little more HP but it also had some emissions and I swayed away because of that.

The guy also gave me some line that the 271 engine is one that is still made in Germany while some of the others are US built...not sure I buy that, but whatever.
Well, I had to break down and pull this 271 out before I left...the sprocket on my Homelite decided to cough its bearing and split the nose. Figured finding a bar around Minot would be impossible and I didn't have the time to waste.

I cut three days straight, it was almost all that invasive Russian Olive they have out there; some of it was better than 24 inches at the butt. That 271 performed well, it is a good balance of weight and performance. Definitely broke it in while I was there...hopefully it does well cutting firewood.

I don't know what kind of rifles/calibers you guys think you need, one for woods, one for open fields ect., but mine works everywhere and I have no problem hitting what I want out to my personal limit in range.

I shot a coyote at over 300 yards with it, and a moose at just over 100 yards, and two bucks with it last fall at under 100 yards, it just keeps on keeping on!

Interior-Moose-Hunt.jpg

SR

I have to edit in here, it was season before last that I shot the two deer with this firearm, last season I shot two bucks with my 7 Express Remington. My "old timers" was kicking in!! lol SR

I don't know what kind of rifles/calibers you guys think you need, one for woods, one for open fields ect., but mine works everywhere and I have no problem hitting what I want out to my personal limit in range.

I shot a coyote at over 300 yards with it, and a moose at just over 100 yards, and two bucks with it last fall at under 100 yards, it just keeps on keeping on!

Interior-Moose-Hunt.jpg

SR
300 yards is 900 ft or so, I hit a 400 meter target with a M16 in Basic Training, I only hit it once & the target was not moving.
But I did hit it, so there are a lot of rifles that can hit 1200 feet out, what are you using?

300 yards is 900 ft or so, I hit a 400 meter target with a M16 in Basic Training, I only hit it once & the target was not moving.
But I did hit it, so there are a lot of rifles that can hit 1200 feet out, what are you using?
I've done a lot of practice out to 500 meters with different cartridges, but I will not shoot at a game animal at those kinds of ranges, no exceptions!

My go to gun is an 8x57jrs, and I've been loading/using 200NP's at 2550fps in it since the 1980's... It works on everything, the NP expanded some in a coyote at over 300 yards and did a lot of damage in the above moose, then exiting.

That's about perfect in my book!

SR

Got the last white pine down yesterday between storms yesterday and just need to do the final cleanup.
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.04.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.05.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.05.45 AM.png

My buddy I'm doing the trees for has a little splitting to do, when I head back up everything from this tree will get added to it and the 4 rounds from the stumps/flush cutting the last two stumps. I also have a few maple limbs that are a bit larger that I'll be "pruning", the bucking and adding to the little hardwood pile I made.
And I dropped three nice logs out of this one to my Sawyer buddy to make some nice boards out of, hope he can get a couple nice boards out of them lol.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 10.06.09 AM.png

Well the Barnes Triple Shock Copper TTSX finally came in yesterday . Impressive ballistics for what it worth .378 Weatherby 270 grain with 3050 ft / sec . Should do the job down range . Will press some hand loads this weekend @ Moose Camp . :blob2:
tell us more! what is the weight of stock round, grains powder and ur loads? will u use a specific powder, one over another? waiting.... :happybanana:

:drinkingcoffee:

I did have to build a new gun cabinet last year from my milled Red Oak ... now I have 3 gun cabinets in the house.

My Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 is probably the "perfect" hunting rifle, anything else I do is just for play. I paid less than $300 for it when they first came out, I load it a little hot (to 270 pressures, which is safe), and it shoots 1/2" with neck sized brass.

It has a Nikon 3 X 9 X 40 scope that was only about $100 when Nikon discontinued their scope line, they are real nice scopes!

I load a 168 grain Barnes TTSX over 58 grains of IMR 4350.

The gun is light, rugged, comes up nicely, and is powerful enough to kill anything I may encounter.

I recently bought a second new one (for $405 on Gunbroker) to convert to 338-06, but I'm now on the fence about it because my Granson took his deer with my 06 and loves it!

You would really be hard put to find a lighter, better handling gun that has more killing power than my 06.

Interior-Moose-Hunt.jpg

SR
Grab the ol 94 30-30 most of the time. No moose, elk or grizzly bears round these parts. The wife did buy me a nice model 70 .270 a few years ago in RH. Like you I shoot left. :surprised3:

FYI for anyone that owns an early 10-22 and hates the mag release. There is an easy fix for that by adding a small piece of 1/4" square stock onto the release with a small screw.
Here is the easy fix for the hard to use mag release on the early Ruger 10-22's.

Attachments

• 20220921_112109.jpg
    20220921_112109.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220921_112120.jpg
    20220921_112120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Actually, the easy fix (if you have an early gun) is to just replace the trigger assembly with a BX trigger, and reduce your trigger pull from 6 to 2.5 lbs in the process (and save the old trigger assembly for originality). The gun shoots much better with the new trigger.

My 10/22 seems to like Winchester HPs better than any other ammo I have tried.

tell us more! what is the weight of stock round, grains powder and ur loads? will u use a specific powder, one over another? waiting.... :happybanana:

:drinkingcoffee:

.274 gain full copper Barnes TTSX .338 cal. bullet . Conservative 115 gr. IMR 7828 slow burning powder . Weatherby full length casings . Federal .215 primers . Ballistics as previously advised (3050 fps) Tex . My current 30cal. 30-.378 is much quicker (3275 fps. Ballistic round ) with Hornaday 240 Grain Nozler Bowtails & conservative factory powder loading . However does not deliver the hydrostatic shock benefits of the .338 .270 gr. Copper .@ ranges of up to 300 yds downfield for moose in the Barnes TSX Line up on the Vanguard . The Mark V was bought for Alberta Mountain Ram Trophy hunt 500 yard Ranges , perhaps next yr. if everything falls inplace with the Out-fitter & Guide .

Back