Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.

Old shipping pallets are ready to burn and most businesses give them away. I started out knocking on doors and asking about dead or down trees. I removed the wood as quickly and safely as possibly, and always treated the land better than I would my own. I pile all the brush, fill any ruts, and even rake the sawdust piles. Word of mouth has spread to the point that people stop by or call me to see if I'll clean up a tree for them. So far this year I've been asked to clean up a cedar and pine, 10 acres of hard maple tops, 300 4-20i" trees to thin a woods, 175 walnut tops,, a silver maple, 11 standing dead red elm, and just today another 32 oak & walnut tops plus any tree damaged by the loggers. I will need to put a couple of these jobs on hold until next fall, but most landowners understand.

Contact local arborists and offer to show them where they can drop wood that they would otherwise have to pay to dispose of at local dump. Saves them ton-miles & fees.
Sniff about for accessible unused rights-of-way, with blowdowns. Some of that wood (i.e. black locust) will remain firm almost forever. Always clean up after yourself.
Post notices on bulletin boards for storm cleanup & such. Win-win if you charge for work & haul away the wood.

I have had success with a want ad in the local paper. You will turn down a dozen or more jobs that should go to a real tree service before you get the one old timer that just wants some stuff cleared out of his back woods or fence line. Got to have a line in the water before you'll get any bites.

absolutely ^^^^^ keep your eyes open all the time, ball up and ask. Also interject in any conversation that you burn and can cut/get the wood. The more people that know the odds go up. Let coworkers know as well.

I met a guy that was the head of the grounds and maintenance of the local golf course. They get all kinds of tree trimming or dead trees and storm fallen trees. I asked if I could get the wood from some of these. I did a good clean job and hauling away of what he had. Now he calls me when ever he has wood to get rid of. I think I got about 3 cords last year.

A lot of my scrounging is through word of mouth. I rarely answer craigslist adds for free wood mostly because by the time I get there, it's already been picked over and the only thing left is the rotted out punky stuff. This happened to me a few times, and the person who put in the ad looks at me like I'm crazy for not wanting it, but left the ad up because he wants all of it gone. Like stihly dan said it's mostly just keeping your eyes open and looking around. Get to know some wood burners too. I know a few that do and they let me know where there's a good scrounging opportunity to be had. Just be sure you get landowners permission if it's private property.

I met a guy that was the head of the grounds and maintenance of the local golf course. They get all kinds of tree trimming or dead trees and storm fallen trees. I asked if I could get the wood from some of these. I did a good clean job and hauling away of what he had. Now he calls me when ever he has wood to get rid of. I think I got about 3 chords last year.

Not bust chops but it is "cord" not chord

Agree, get landowner's permission even if you are cleaning up along the roadsides. The land owner still owns out to the middle of the road.

That's hardly universal - depends on the jurisdiction so check state legislation or property records if uncertain. Here, the government owns a 66' wide strip of land centered on the centre of the travelled public roadway. In a town or city, the town or city owns it and it can be of varying width.

Set up RSS feeds on your tablet or smart phone for Craigslist ads using a keyword like "free firewood". I agree Craiglist is not the best source, but I have gotten lucky there a few times. With RSS feeds the right app (do some research) should give notification within minutes of a post going up. Someone already mentioned arborists. If they are doing work within a few miles of your house, ask them for the wood, or ask the homeowner if you can have it if they don't want it. I am on a list with the company our township uses to trim the trees along the road. When my turn comes up he shows up at my door with a load of branches and logs cut to 5' lengths and will dump them wherever I choose.

as ive lived here all my life,,i get people calling all the time,,if I want free trees..and as you can imagine,,ive refused more than a few.. I/e, hard to take down,,in restricted area,,for free,when a arborist wanted big money,,nope!!! I can now pic and chose. and the price of firewood in this area,,is only 45 for a full pickup load of oak or ash, CURED!!! sooooooo, I sell NONE!!

Latest posts

Back