Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So most schools give kids a week off for spring break. Not us. We get Thursday, Friday, and next Monday off.

My oldest son works Saturday so we basically have a two day spring break. My wife started a new job in August so has no PTO till one year.

So I’m taking the kids up the north shore of Lake Superior from Wednesday night through Friday night. Lots of cool places and it’s something they’ve never really done. Lots of good food too as the area attracts a lot of high dollar people so there are a lot of restaurants and inns. And not really a spring break destination so rooms are reasonable this time of year.

So most schools give kids a week off for spring break. Not us. We get Thursday, Friday, and next Monday off.

My oldest son works Saturday so we basically have a two day spring break. My wife started a new job in August so has no PTO till then.

So I’m taking the kids up the north shore of Lake Superior from Wednesday night through Friday night. Lots of cool places and it’s something they’ve never really done. Lots of good food too as the area attracts a lot of high dollar people so there are a lot of restaurants and inns. And not really a spring break destination so rooms are reasonable this time of year.
All schools are different. I’m a public school teacher in Pa and we have the traditional week off before Easter.

Visiting nephews on the space coast of Florida and their public school had spring break last week. Everyone’s a little different.

Some kind of southern hardwood(oak?) and an osprey in the second pic.
4D8178E2-1E54-4F56-A203-2E10ECEC6DB1.jpeg13F41E58-13AD-497B-8DF6-3EFB137FBE55.jpeg

All schools are different. I’m a public school teacher in Pa and we have the traditional week off before Easter.

Visiting nephews on the space coast of Florida and their public school had spring break last week. Everyone’s a little different.

Some kind of southern hardwood(oak?) and an osprey in the second pic.
View attachment 898052View attachment 898053
Yeah I wish there was more uniformity. Our previous school didn’t even give Good Friday off, which pissed me off.

I hate that we get tons of random days off rather than just a week for spring break or a longer Christmas vacation.

Not real ambitious today. Work till 3 then have to head home and be around for the two older boys who have drivers training class from 4-7. “Adult supervision required”. Which is a bit funny being these kids are 15 and 16 years old.

The people teaching the class are the same ones that I took drivers training through 26 years ago. And she doesn’t take any ********!! Yesterday at the start of the curriculum she told the class if she can’t see any of them through their web cameras or if they are asleep on screen she’s kicking that person out of class.

And she doesn’t take any ********!!
Then why is she teaching via the web.
Not that I'm against it, but the reasons behind it are what she's taking...

Next door neighbor I dropped the trees for brought a few logs over from his place as I've been helping across the street.
The neighbor across the street has quite the mess going on :oops:(his FIL is making it, he's also my neighbor), I'm all about keeping the equipment moving, but if the equipment doesn't need to go right back then why not make less of a mess since there's no extra cost in having it there. He ran to town for some diesel so I was able to organize and get ahead of him :clap:. Then I went to dump a load in the fire pit and he went against the plan we had discussed and started pilling wood/trees in my way, so it now looks like a bomb went off again :omg:. No way I could work like that long term.
Got enough dead standing locust for around a face cord, it will get cut and put in the woodshed for two seasons from now. I also brought a few loads over of green wood I'm putting in my green log wood pile. I have a lot more to go over there, about 20 black locust trees to drop and a few box elder for the fire pit. Many of the smaller ones will go in the pile I'm bucking and splitting for the woodshed. I already have a nice pile of sticks I plan on cutting to 8' as well, that pile is bigger than the in the pics.
Before heading over.
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 12.25.23 PM.png
End of the day.
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 12.25.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 12.26.12 PM.png

Then why is she teaching via the web.
Not that I'm against it, but the reasons behind it are what she's taking...
Not sure where you are going with this?

She owns the drivers training school which is not affiliated with any school district. In normal times, she goes from school to school and hold classes for the 14.5-15 year old students of that school. Because of the lockdown last spring, they lost a full quarter of classes and were forced to convert to zoom style. As a result, there was a huge backlog of kids who couldn't take the classes until they converted to zoom. So now you have all of the 14.5 to 15 year old kids needing classes plus the kids who should have taken class last spring (like my just turned 16 year old) plus the fact that the covid impacted sports schedules have messed things up for a lot of kids. All public school districts in the area have still banned any sort of in person, extra curricular group activities or events. So the options are not hold drivers training or do it online. Certainly most folks will agree that the learning experience is better in person than over the internet but we need to play the hand we are dealt.

And no she does not take any ********.

Best friend and I were out and about today cutting some more firewood. I scouted a bit before he joined me and I stumbled on an old existing ATV trail that would otherwise be hidden by leaves in the summer time. Lots of good firewood on both sides of the trail and it goes across a section of my woodlot. Gonna be there a while until we move on to somewhere else! Sorry for no actual scrounge pictures, but I did take these..

PS: Blue on the map was where we were and will be for a while :)

Attachments

• AA5EEC9C-BEBD-4546-916F-34AABE813F7A.jpeg
    AA5EEC9C-BEBD-4546-916F-34AABE813F7A.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 9E0D5F5F-903D-4CF3-8A48-DB0AB6DB79DD.jpeg
    9E0D5F5F-903D-4CF3-8A48-DB0AB6DB79DD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • D0DAF2F1-526D-43DF-B409-2D83C75976C4.jpeg
    D0DAF2F1-526D-43DF-B409-2D83C75976C4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Not sure where you are going with this?

She owns the drivers training school which is not affiliated with any school district. In normal times, she goes from school to school and hold classes for the 14.5-15 year old students of that school. Because of the lockdown last spring, they lost a full quarter of classes and were forced to convert to zoom style. As a result, there was a huge backlog of kids who couldn't take the classes until they converted to zoom. So now you have all of the 14.5 to 15 year old kids needing classes plus the kids who should have taken class last spring (like my just turned 16 year old) plus the fact that the covid impacted sports schedules have messed things up for a lot of kids. All public school districts in the area have still banned any sort of in person, extra curricular group activities or events. So the options are not hold drivers training or do it online. Certainly most folks will agree that the learning experience is better in person than over the internet but we need to play the hand we are dealt.

And no she does not take any ********.
Wrong, she takes it and so do you.
Nothing has changed with my kids schooling.

Well the neighbors was blown up again :(. The good thing was he did keep most the logs cleaner. Maybe that was because his chain was so trashed he said he needed another one. I'm a couple tanks in and need to freshen my full chisel chain she just started to slow down enough to where its noticeable. Tried to explain it to him, stay out of the dirt. I didn't offer to sharpen his chain, but I told him I probably have one for him here he can have, I don't want to sharpen his :oops:
20210330_140443.jpg
Few more sticks today.
The to buck and split for the woodshed pile.
20210330_185534.jpg
For use many yrs from now.
Had to move a few sticks from the pile on the right so I had a place to put more. I still need to move a larger elm from the back side of the right pile to make more room, still haven't touched the big pile across the rd yet.
20210330_185519.jpg

Wrong, she takes it and so do you.
Nothing has changed with my kids schooling.
Dude. Why do you keep doing this? Seriously.

She makes $18,000 ($450 a student times 40 students in the class) teaching a 30 hour course and then her and another gal provide 6 hours of behind the wheel training for each kid. All told thats 18k for 270 hours. 66 bucks an hour to teach a webex from her dining room table and ride around town.....Sounds like a pretty good racket to me. Not sure why you seem convinced she’s taking someone’s BS.

Well havent got much done in the way of wood today. Actually spent the day after work helping my neighbor and had to run to my uncle/ cousins shop to get them out of a jam. Neighbors wife said I needed to take a break and focus on my own stuff, I laughed as her hubby gave me another project lol. Got my cousin squared away, got back home, looked at the log pile and thought, guess I know what I'll be doing the rest of the week. Um nope, if my mate still hasn't gotten the rest of his poles up I'll run over there and give him a hand. I did get his 455 to run today, before my cousin called. Now just sharpen a chain or 10 for him, get it tuned in and drop it off later this week. Wife made it known she wanted to be planting in the garden no later then the 3rd week in april. Told her she better get splitting then lol.

Been working away at my bucket of chains. Most of these were rocked (by someone other than me) so a lot of them need to be ground back slowly. We’ll get there eventually.
70C93F9B-6714-4805-9819-29A54884B2B3.jpeg

Putzed with two of my new to me L65’s. One runs perfect. The other must have a bad fuel line cause it leaked fuel all over when I tipped it on its side.

The runner has a bad word on the tag. Not sure what they were going for here.
9F645DF4-C58D-491F-BFC5-A9F16976F445.jpeg

Back