Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys ever grow black locust for firewood? I have a few black locusts in a wooded lot near me, heard they are great for firewood but they are really thin trees. Also heard they grow fast but not sure growing them will be beneficial lol
Not a real fast grower but great firewood.

Few pics of the last "load" amd the wood pile. Kept forgetting to post them up for y'all. Hoping to get a few boards out of 2 of those little oaks on the trailer, the wood on the beaver tail is rough, should easy be enough there for that.

Attachments

• 16169725661976513193629395909186.jpg
    16169725661976513193629395909186.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 16169724998335803662556981493129.jpg
    16169724998335803662556981493129.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 9
You guys ever grow black locust for firewood? I have a few black locusts in a wooded lot near me, heard they are great for firewood but they are really thin trees. Also heard they grow fast but not sure growing them will be beneficial lol
Fast growing and sprouts new shoots underground so they can spread easily. They were planted a lot to grow as fence posts back in the day because of their rot resistance. The FIL's father planted them on his property probably 90-100 years ago and now they are all over the place. And some big ones. I try to save it as Armageddon wood since it lasts so long. Good stuff.

Also good for outdoor projects. :yes:
20200712_213053.jpg
20210331_064730.jpg
20200628_205202.jpg

Finally getting some new attachments for the Kubota. Ordered a log grapple and I will order the adjustable forks with trailer hitch when it's back in stock. Getting them from Titan attachments Having the fork attachment will be better than the clamp on ones I use now. I need to find some welder to cut off the loader mounts and weld the SSQA ones on. The bucket has a smile from using the clamp on forks. Not sure if I will have a welder fix that or use douglas fir 4-4s and the log grapple to straighten it. . I am getting the SSQA from the Kubota dealer, I trust factory fit and it was cheaper than some others I saw out there. Any suggestions on where to get a diverter valve kit? I looked at third function valves vs diverters and the diverter looked easier. Turns out on Kubota you tap into the loader lift. I saw others that tied into the curl and it did not work so they had to go back

I planted a row of them when I bougt this place, 1976, probably planted them in 1978. Other than pruning the low branches I haven't touched them. I also have never watered them except for the first year. Slow growing for sure as they are still not firewood size, some 20' high but no girth yet. It is great firewood and lucky is the person who runs into a scrounge of it that was planted by the original settlers.

My best srcrounges were clear cuts of dead stands killed by Locust Borer. A couple scores were a couple acres in area. Still have around 60 cord in my stash and the current project, when I am allowed to work again by the doc, is split/stack of an original settler's planting around a homestead. Some 20 cord in that one.

I planted a row of them when I bougt this place, 1976, probably planted them in 1978. Other than pruning the low branches I haven't touched them. I also have never watered them except for the first year. Slow growing for sure as they are still not firewood size, some 20' high but no girth yet. It is great firewood and lucky is the person who runs into a scrounge of it that was planted by the original settlers.

My best srcrounges were clear cuts of dead stands killed by Locust Borer. A couple scores were a couple acres in area. Still have around 60 cord in my stash and the current project, when I am allowed to work again by the doc, is split/stack of an original settler's planting around a homestead. Some 20 cord in that one.
Big 'whoopsie" Those were "Shademaster HONEY Locusts" that I planted.

We have black locust growing on my home farm. It is much like an invasive weed as you can't kill it just by cutting it. I sold my John Deere 540B skidder to a guy who has been logging overgrown patches of black locust and selling the poles to growers to use as hop poles 16' high. He is getting big bucks for those poles.

Fast growing and sprouts new shoots underground so they can spread easily. They were planted a lot to grow as fence posts back in the day because of their rot resistance. The FIL's father planted them on his property probably 90-100 years ago and now they are all over the place. And some big ones. I try to save it as Armageddon wood since it lasts so long. Good stuff.

Also good for outdoor projects. :yes:
View attachment 898348
View attachment 898350
View attachment 898351
damn man cool steps! they will probably last forever lol. I read about the rot resistance as well

yeah they seem really dense, probably burns for a long time. guess planting them isn't a great idea though lol.

Feels like I just hit the jackpot lol. Called up my local HD and they had a Makita saw for sale! Rushed over there and bought it. Not a great deal though I guess, $290. Also Makita totally changed their saw design because I didn't recognize it lol. They also reduced the cc to 61 vice 64. Anyways, pic of the saw and the woods near my house. Hopefully that will be my new scrounging area

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
Back