Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had 34 email notifications from A.S. this morning: only 7 new posts.

Philbert
Delayed emails?

When they changed servers a few weeks back, all of my notifications (I only elected to receive PM notifications) went to my junk folder until I moved them back to my inbox and my spam filter figured it out.

A few photos from yesterday.
Overlook of Lake Superior just south of the Canadian border.
3D46C3E3-9046-4E69-93D6-2DA667E1B1A7.jpeg

193E9C5B-7FFC-4062-AA02-D5CF10FB62C7.jpeg

An inland lake that is a launch spot to enter the Boundary Waters. A forest fire (caused by the USFS’s unwillingness to log) wiped out all of the cabins in this area back in 2007...these are the rebuilt homes/cabins surrounded by reprog trees. These are all very large/fancy homes. Big bucks to get onto a lake that is partially in the BWCA
246913F4-80D5-4F86-A81A-77E282908C79.jpeg

If you want to get a 6400/7900 series I'm sure you could sell or trade your 6100 for one. There are always guys wanting to trade or buy different saws and the 60cc saws are a great saw for a one saw plan, not that I'm promoting that lol.
Yeah that sounds like a plan but not sure I want to develop CAD again lol. Also just noticed you have posted 35k times!! That's crazy.

Well the neighbors was blown up again :(. The good thing was he did keep most the logs cleaner. Maybe that was because his chain was so trashed he said he needed another one. I'm a couple tanks in and need to freshen my full chisel chain she just started to slow down enough to where its noticeable. Tried to explain it to him, stay out of the dirt. I didn't offer to sharpen his chain, but I told him I probably have one for him here he can have, I don't want to sharpen his :oops:
View attachment 898283
Few more sticks today.
The to buck and split for the woodshed pile.
View attachment 898284
For use many yrs from now.
Had to move a few sticks from the pile on the right so I had a place to put more. I still need to move a larger elm from the back side of the right pile to make more room, still haven't touched the big pile across the rd yet.
View attachment 898285
swell pix, chipper! lotta work... lotta wood... i prespire just looking at them and imagining... even in your cool weather! ;)

:givebeer: when done! :yes:

Fast growing and sprouts new shoots underground so they can spread easily. They were planted a lot to grow as fence posts back in the day because of their rot resistance. The FIL's father planted them on his property probably 90-100 years ago and now they are all over the place. And some big ones. I try to save it as Armageddon wood since it lasts so long. Good stuff.

Also good for outdoor projects. :yes:
View attachment 898348
View attachment 898350
View attachment 898351
nice steps! i like.... :numberone:

Oh damn you remember that? lol. man great memory! Yeah I had some seeds and someone from PA think sent me some. I planted them but moved and bought a new house lmao Crap just noticed I have to change my saw list. can't believe my in-laws threw away my Poulan and Echo saws. ugh!
zzzzxtoaa.jpg

Just alone....the salad bag kit that I had was expired by 8 days. Grrr
bag kit? from the store? i do like the convenience of them, but dont buy. for reasons u stated. etc. i can call a slice to lettuce with ranch... a salad. lol. or cold asparagus dipped into ranch a salad, too... sometimes we make conventional salads, too... prob be best not to dip those cold asparagus spears into too much ranch... lol

this one with some cold brussels, too...
P1010001.JPGP1010009.JPG

View attachment 898769

View attachment 898770

An inland lake that is a launch spot to enter the Boundary Waters. A forest fire (caused by the USFS’s unwillingness to log) wiped out all of the cabins in this area back in 2007...these are the rebuilt homes/cabins surrounded by reprog trees. These are all very large/fancy homes. Big bucks to get onto a lake that is partially in the BWCA
View attachment 898771
good pix, scenery... enjoyed the vistas.... :yes:

Okay now that's a bit excessive lol. Nice salad pics, they just reminded me I haven't had anything to eat. You ever grilled a Romaine heart? It's so good. I brush some olive oil on a Romain heart sliced in half, sprinkle some salt and pepper, then throw it on the grill for about a minute or so each side. gives it a smoky flavor. Then sprinkle parmesan cheese on it and pour some Ken's Caesar dressing on it. The best

Will you debark that Steve? The crab apple I scrounged last year was SUPER wet underneath the bark and held moisture well.
No it is going to be stacked and top covered. I have about 35 trees worth. Doesn't take more than about a year to dry. None of the fruitwoods dry very well if not covered.

View attachment 898769

View attachment 898770

View attachment 898771
Awesome pics man! I served on the USCGC Mackinaw many years ago and I remember breaking out a few of those harbors along the north shore. Obviously Duluth/Superior, but lesser known places like Taconite Harbor and Silver Bay come to mind. For those who have never seen it in person, the shoreline of Lake Superior is one of the most awe-inspiring places on earth.

Latest posts

Back