Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, I'm going in to firewood sales. I've had 3 more people knock on the door in the last week to ask, ' Errrr, that Errrr.... wood..?.....Errrr.. do it want it..or....maybe.. I could..... Take.....??'
From now on my response is, '£5 per sack, minimum 8 sacks, you collect.' in fact I'm going to make it easy and print off some cards to to just hand out so I don't need to grab a pen and paper or anything. I already have one customer clearing her shed to make space. Much as I think the firewood business is a hard way to earn f' all, £5 bundles is about £1100/ cord. It would be quite satisfying to just sell to one or two customers and pay for my fuel, oils, chains etc. I don't expect I'll get rich! Hahaha.

@LondonNeil . The only way to make a lot money selling firewood is start with a lot more money. :crazy2:
Exactly. And hand processing ARB waste is a hard way to do it. But I'll happily sell a few sacks if I can I guess. However i suspect it's lockdown, people WFH and the usual stores that stock bundles being closed, that's why I'm getting some one knock every 10-14 days this winter. I've missed my opportunity to get rich.... Unless (and I bloody hope not!) We are still in this mess next winter!

Yeah there's not a lot of money in firewood. Around here the big firewood guys have processers and dump trucks. A lot of $5 a bag guys down every road. The kids used to stuff bags and sell them at the road. I sometimes sell when I over scrounge. For heating wood most people want delivery and it's hard to make money loading and unloading by hand and delivering by the pickup load. When I get offered poplar and willow etc by friends, instead of being a wood snob, I take it and stack it separately for campfire wood. Once this accumulates I advertise campfire wood by the cord and smaller orders welcome. Campers and cottage renters are the best customers. It's cheaper than the wood sold at the parks and are happy to pay the going rate for heating wood for a load of pine or poplar, willow etc. I hate seeing good hardwood wasted in campfires anyway. Won't get rich but pays for the equipment I use to heat my home.... As I write this, I am looking out back and the campfire wood pile is getting slim. Wasn't planning on scrounging this year because I have a great stash of heating wood, enough for at least the next 2 possibly 3 winters, but perhaps some camp wood is in order!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

What do y’all do about ticks when scrounging? They are really bad around here. I’ll walk into the woods during tick season and have a bunch of them bite me repeatedly. Luckily I’m mildly allergic to insect bites so it feels itchy immediately so I know they’re on me lol. You guys use permethrin?

Heard some sad news yesterday. A kid who I coached about 5 years ago is in custody and will probably end up being charged with attempted manslaughter after severely beating up another kid. This young man was being raised by his grandparents because his parents passed in a murder-suicide when he was 4. It’s very unfortunate that he seems destined to go down the same path that his father did.

At the time I knew him, he was a well behaved respectful kid. Sad to see.

Had a guy I work with swear by 2 things for ticks. The first was rubbing vicks vapor cream on the back of your neck and just above your ankles before you go out, amd the other was rubbing your neck and arms down with a used dryer sheet wile you were out working. I hate vicks vapor cream so never tried that, but the dryer sheet seemed to work to keep the tics at bay, but could have been a coincidence as well. I dont typically get tics on me often, and only ever had 2 that latched on. I'd nothing else, deet and permethrin work great, but not the best for your body, medically speaking.

Heard some sad news yesterday. A kid who I coached about 5 years ago is in custody and will probably end up being charged with attempted manslaughter after severely beating up another kid. This young man was being raised by his grandparents because his parents passed in a murder-suicide when he was 4. It’s very unfortunate that he seems destined to go down the same path that his father did.

That's terrible news! Hopefully the other kids makes a full recovery. Have you heard what caused the altercation?

That's terrible news! Hopefully the other kids makes a full recovery. Have you heard what caused the altercation?
No idea on that. I believe he’s been in some sort of reform school for the last two years. I know he doesn’t go to the school that my son used to go to for at least that long.

My son heard via a mutual friend who still lives down there. They still aren’t sure if the victim is going to survive.

What do you coach? That sucks. Maybe this will be the supreme wake up call to get his act together although I've heard things can go down hill quick in prison.
Had a guy I work with swear by 2 things for ticks. The first was rubbing vicks vapor cream on the back of your neck and just above your ankles before you go out, amd the other was rubbing your neck and arms down with a used dryer sheet wile you were out working. I hate vicks vapor cream so never tried that, but the dryer sheet seemed to work to keep the tics at bay, but could have been a coincidence as well. I dont typically get tics on me often, and only ever had 2 that latched on. I'd nothing else, deet and permethrin work great, but not the best for your body, medically speaking.
I've heard of dryer sheets for mosquitoes but not for ticks, I may try it. Ticks and mosquitoes love me. Haven't heard of deet or permethrin being bad for you actually, I'll have to look that up a bit more.

What do you coach? That sucks. Maybe this will be the supreme wake up call to get his act together although I've heard things can go down hill quick in prison.

I've heard of dryer sheets for mosquitoes but not for ticks, I may try it. Ticks and mosquitoes love me. Haven't heard of deet or permethrin being bad for you actually, I'll have to look that up a bit more.
I used to coach youth basketball and soccer.

I hope so. It’s a shame to see him go from a good kid to this. He started off about a year after I coached him being disruptive in school to tobacco then alcohol then drugs then more trouble. In and out of treatment programs and alternative schools.

Can only hope that he gets enough time to cool off and think about his actions so he doesn’t continue to go down this path.

Spent a lot of time in the woods, and only had a few ticks over the years. Then, a few years ago, I participated in one of this ‘adopt a highway’ events. Got COVERED! Got home, took a soapy, hot shower, and STILL found a few more on me! Big believer in bug repellent spray now.

P.S. the buggers can often survive a trip through the washer on your clothes!

Philbert

Grilled romaine sounds good. It tastes too harsh for me raw.

The first time I ate kale I didn’t like it. On suggestion of a friend I made an apple cider vinaigrette with sliced apples in the salad and it was really good.
i like romaine. usually just get a big bag of them at Sam's. not bad. can grow it down here, romaine varieties. like: Cesar. ok, taste. got a Cesar growing out in garden currently. doing ok, so far! have had romaine from a home garden in PNW... and it was very tasty. sweet with a nice lettuce flavor. never had it grilled.

i like iceberg lettuce steaks; w/Ranch
1617424155617.png

Spent a lot of time in the woods, and only had a few ticks over the years. Then, a few years ago, I participated in one of this ‘adopt a highway’ events. Got COVERED! Got home, took a soapy, hot shower, and STILL found a few more on me! Big believer in bug repellent spray now.

P.S. the buggers can often survive a trip through the washer on your clothes!

Philbert
warmer weather brings out the OFF for me down here. i dont even bother to go out in yards to work... w/o!

1617424377276.png

Yeah there's not a lot of money in firewood. Around here the big firewood guys have processers and dump trucks. A lot of $5 a bag guys down every road. The kids used to stuff bags and sell them at the road. I sometimes sell when I over scrounge. ... As I write this, I am looking out back and the campfire wood pile is getting slim. Wasn't planning on scrounging this year because I have a great stash of heating wood, enough for at least the next 2 possibly 3 winters, but perhaps some camp wood is in order!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
no campfire wood... no camp fire!

Brutus rockin' on...
PB110027.JPG

Back