Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife says the same about me. “He’s out chainsawing”

Her term for anything I’m doing in the shop anymore
I told the wife last nite where I was cutting this morning. Of course she called me to see where I was. She said all she remembered I was cutting but didn't know which of 5 or 6 places I was.

View attachment 899370
Anyone else use this stuff while scrounging? I’m going to look like the biggest dork! Have to at least rub some dirt and grass over it before I wear them, looks too bright and new lol. Also don’t know how you maniacs run saws without ear pro.
Always ear and eye protection. (Years of abuse and my hearing is already suffering, so my kids wear them for everything - like a seat belt, they grow up with that just being the rule.) Almost always chaps and leather gloves. Helmet/ear muffs when felling or with other overhead risks.

Whenever I feel like "just making a few quick cuts" I manage to convince myself that the time I don't wear chaps will be the time I touch my leg with the chain and the discomfort is way better than a hospital stay. Of course mine are black and don't stand out like clown pants! LOL :happybanana: Good idea on pre-staining them.

Always ear and eye protection. (Years of abuse and my hearing is already suffering, so my kids wear them for everything - like a seat belt, they grow up with that just being the rule.) Almost always chaps and leather gloves. Helmet/ear muffs when felling or with other overhead risks.

Whenever I feel like "just making a few quick cuts" I manage to convince myself that the time I don't wear chaps will be the time I touch my leg with the chain and the discomfort is way better than a hospital stay. Of course mine are black and don't stand out like clown pants! LOL :happybanana: Good idea on pre-staining them.
Clown pants lmao. **** they do look like clown pants don’t they? Wanted something with a color where I’ll be able to see ticks easily, I’m freaking paranoid about those damn blood suckers lol.

Don't let me dissuade you from wearing them. I got over people pointing and laughing at the way I dress a long, long time ago. Including my wife. LMAO
I don't wear mine as much as I should. But when I'm climbing around in a pile using a saw, I have them on. It's is a little hard to get over the dorkism, but F*&k them who laugh.

Don't let me dissuade you from wearing them. I got over people pointing and laughing at the way I dress a long, long time ago. Including my wife. LMAO
Oh no, I'm definitely wearing them lol. Don't care too much about what people think. Hell most people near me never run a chainsaw and pays people to do everything around their house so I'm a step ahead with doing **** myself.
I don't like Chaps ... so I got some chainsaw paints!
Crap had no idea they made chainsaw pants! they look a lot better, should have got that instead.

I always wear a hardhat with ear muffs and safety glasses. Almost always safety toed boots. I really should wear chaps or chainsaw pants but I don't.

I hate the way chaps feel and they are always getting caught on stuff. My waistline goes in and out so much that it is tough for me to buy "A" pair of expensive chainsaw pants because I might be 190 one year and might be 235 next year and back. Need to work on that. I know.

Btw, high revving ported saws really wreak havoc on your ears, if you get a high revving saw I would double up on ear muffs plus plugs. I had really bad tinnitus for a while when I was cutting a lot with ported 550 and 346.

I know some here collect cast iron found this in my barn cleaning up some wood piles . It was under some 5/4 oak boards. Griswold madein Erie PA 8qt no lid to be found View attachment 899368View attachment 899369
Gris commands high dollars. Be sure not to give that one away. The lids usually go for even more than the dutch oven itself.

Is that a number 8? I actually have a #8 gris cover but it is not in great shape.

I always wear a hardhat with ear muffs and safety glasses. Almost always safety toed boots. I really should wear chaps or chainsaw pants but I don't.

I hate the way chaps feel and they are always getting caught on stuff. My waistline goes in and out so much that it is tough for me to buy "A" pair of expensive chainsaw pants because I might be 190 one year and might be 235 next year and back. Need to work on that. I know.

Btw, high revving ported saws really wreak havoc on your ears, if you get a high revving saw I would double up on ear muffs plus plugs. I had really bad tinnitus for a while when I was cutting a lot with ported 550 and 346.
Dude the chaps come with an adjustable strap lol. I wish I could gain weight like that. My wife is always pissed at me because she eats less than I do and puts on weight. She always has to diet and I can eat whatever I want lol. I don’t eat sweets at all though, no sweet tooth

Hell most people near me never run a chainsaw and pays people to do everything around their house
I don't know how people do it. I do almost everything myself and I'm certainly not swimming in money. I can't imagine paying for everything to be done.

Both my grandfathers were very self sufficient. Neither was rich, but never lacked for anything. If they couldn't buy it with cash then they made do without. And if something broke they didn't run out to get a new one, they fixed it. Different times I guess.

[soapbox] People sure would do a lot less crying if they started doing a few things themselves and figured out how to get by with less. [/soapbox]

Elastic chainsaw pants with suspenders!

Dude the chaps come with an adjustable strap lol. I wish I could gain weight like that. My wife is always pissed at me because she eats less than I do and puts on weight. She always has to diet and I can eat whatever I want lol. I don’t eat sweets at all though, no sweet tooth
You are lucky. I have always been a big eater and I also love to cook (and most people say I am a very good cook). I could not put on weight till college. Now it is easy, especially over the winter.

Guys do have it easier than gals though especially as we age. Gals frankly have more "places" to put the weight, often are less active, and seem to like sweets more than guys.

My ass is actually smaller than it was when I was younger...can't say the same about most women my age. Never had problems with pants falling down until the last couple of years.

I don't know how people do it. I do almost everything myself and I'm certainly not swimming in money. I can't imagine paying for everything to be done.

Both my grandfathers were very self sufficient. Neither was rich, but never lacked for anything. If they couldn't buy it with cash then they made do without. And if something broke they didn't run out to get a new one, they fixed it. Different times I guess.

[soapbox] People sure would do a lot less crying if they started doing a few things themselves and figured out how to get by with less. [/soapbox]
All of this is so true.....I honestly do not know how people do it yet manage to continue to get by.

IE lots of families around here making around 100K a year or more between two spouses....with a 300K mortgage, 50-80K tied up in vehicles, new boat, new ATV(s), snowmobiles etc. How do they do it? I mean I know how to do it short term but eventually payments catch up. And you are one bad event from financial catastophe.

Back