Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for a dog as we speak.
Check out the rescues. Our last 3 were puppies from the Humane Society, and each has been a great dog. Our adult kids got 3 more that way.

This last time I said, ‘Not a puppy, and not a hound.’ Then this guy picked me. Almost 2 now. Great dog.

E1E99C28-1E2D-4D2E-9E4E-D404307E4A68.jpeg

Philbert

I understand getting a purebred and that’s what you have your heart set on.

We are “dog people” and could never be with out. Both pups here came from the same rescue but a year and a half apart. Daisy Mae on the left is hands down the best dog we’ve owned. She’s some kind of beagle/hound mix.0FC42F16-A881-4BCE-816D-DCFD01DE44A4.jpeg

My Mutt Rex (1/2 German Shepard - 1/2 ???) was an excellent hunting dog. Retrieved downed grouse (even if not completely dead) and dropped them at my feet w/o any real training.

I got Rex because no one wanted him, he was the runt of the litter.

When I tell people who are training hunting dogs what he did w/o any training, they walk away from me!

I'm sure he would have retrieved ducks also, because I did play fetch with a stick in the water with him a lot (in both fresh + salt water).

Is he border collie? They are very smart, useful herding dogs.
Yes he was a smooth coated border collie. Looked like a lab mix but he had papers. Like I said he didn't know how to spell and we sometimes had to spell stuff in front of him so he didn't go nuts. I read they know over 200 human words.

I just got the new bucket for the tractor today, took it out and turned over the garden. I added lots of chicken manure a few weeks ago and limed it. Now I need to put the fence back up. Going to plant early this year as the weather looks to be warm . Tomatoes peppers and green beans. And I might add some buuternut and acorn squash.
thumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpg

I do tomatoes, beans, squash and broccoli.

We did DNA tests on our dogs.. Our little one (50 lbs) has Pitt, Newfoundland and Bull Terroir.

You would think the tests are all wet, because she has short hair and short legs, but she swims like a fish, and she does not get that from the other two breeds!

When I was a kid (single digits) my Dad had a dog that was also 1/2 German Shepard and 1/2 ???. But his dog was 150 lbs at 9 months old!

We had to get rid of him because all the adults were scared of him - even though he never bit anyone!

He would always break his chain, and would not let parents get their kids at dinner time (he was great with kids).

But if a parent was calling their child to come home, he chased the parent home!

Back