Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I heard that the new Stihls could be read with the actual hours on them, is that correct? I bought a John Deere X500 for my daughter last fall at auction. It was sold as having a brand new engine with 4 hours on it. My X540 is in for scheduled service, so I’ve been using hers. It runs as good as my X540, and is actually faster. I called my JD dealer and he said Kawasaki does not offer that technology. Doesn’t matter, it runs like new. I’ll just start the maintenance schedule at 4 hours.

When I was a kid (single digits) my Dad had a dog that was also 1/2 German Shepard and 1/2 ???. But his dog was 150 lbs at 9 months old!

We had to get rid of him because all the adults were scared of him - even though he never bit anyone!

He would always break his chain, and would not let parents get their kids at dinner time (he was great with kids).

But if a parent was calling their child to come home, he chased the parent home!
Yea our 1st dog of this batch got up there quickly but not that big, he is 95 and the vet calls him fat but he walks away from food, I think he is just a big boy. The middle dog is 60 lbs and I would guess part lab, loves water. The oldest dog is a Shepard mix. We got her at 11and she had a rough summer last year. She was a Louisiana dog and her owners house was on fire. A Firefighter went in and found the other dog dead of smoke or heat and she was unresponsive at first but they got her oxygen and wet down a blanket for her. They got her to a vet who had to continue to cool her off and she got an IV. She turned the corner in a few days but she had attitude/temper problem and was lashing out at people, there was talk of putting her down. But in time she calmed down but her people couldn't take her back. My wife saw her on an adoption site and even though we had adopted our middle dog the day before she wanted her. We had lost two dogs the same year so I wasn't so sure about a 3rd older dog. I told her if she was still out there in a day we would take her. She was and now we love her. Understandably she was nervous the 1st time around the wood stove and she still can have an old Shepard attitude now and then but nothing to worry about.

Completing my permit to carry class today. I had purchased the online class for both me and the STBE shortly before she said goodbye. In this day and age, it sure will be nice to have.

Good on you. Have had my CHL for 12-13 years (2008 I think). Never leave home without it.

Hope y'all are doing good. Ran some saws the other day. Helped a buddy with a stump another "friend" left after he took all the usable firewood. Took the 461 with a 28" bar. I did a terrible job :( It was on a slight incline/decline, and I had my angle wrong. So, when I got to the other side, it was too low (saw was in the dirt, would have had to dig it out). Oh well, they were still thankful to have the stump gone. Was YUGE. It was like two trees out of one (pretty sure it was white ash), so not only was it much wider than my 28" bar, but it was long! Buddy used his jeep to pull it off, and was surprised at how heavy it was.

Sorry, no pics :(

Cheers,

Bit of horse dung, and some plant bedding from the landfill. Got the big garden ready for planting. Now just need to get it planted amount the other 7000000 things I have to do yet. Smells like crap lol. Looks good though.

Attachments

• 20210520_201440.jpg
    20210520_201440.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 15
I should have taken this 20 years ago....back then you needed to provide "need" in the state of MN (which I could have) but several years ago they changed the law so you can get one for any reason. I have not yet been in a bad situation but in this day and age you never know what kind of hopped up weirdo might try to harm your family. Don’t have a hot wife to defend any more but still have 5 beautiful kids and my ugly ass lol.

Managed to scrounge up more work today, when we left the tree job I saw this guy :oops:. I really wanted to get a video, but I was in a hurry to get home. I can say it would have been a good one, that bush wasn't giving up without a fight! The axe had to be really dull, it wasn't doing a thing.
Hope you all had a great day.
Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 11.41.03 PM.png

We’re about to move out of Cali and I still have about 2cord worth of Eucalyptus to finish up. Rounds from 16-42” left to split and haul.
free to a good home. Wood has been drying for a year + but still splits fine. I have a splitter and can help split or quarter the rounds if needed. 4x4 truck helpful but not mandatory. Need this done in the next few weeks.
there are also a couple of trees that should be dropped and cut up for another couple cord.

located in sf East Bay Area, Hercules

pm if interested

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY @mainewoods Hope your old azz is doing good Clint. Thanks for a great thread even though we do get off topic once in a while. :cheers:

I should have taken this 20 years ago....back then you needed to provide "need" in the state of MN (which I could have) but several years ago they changed the law so you can get one for any reason. I have not yet been in a bad situation but in this day and age you never know what kind of hopped up weirdo might try to harm your family. Don’t have a hot wife to defend any more but still have 5 beautiful kids and my ugly ass lol.
Congrats on taking the class. Have had mine since I turned 21. It's a big responsibility, but having one on me has changed situations where it may not have been good. Former job took me to some pretty nasty places, at bad times of the day /night. Had to draw a few times, never had to fire. Seems most don't want to mess with you if they know they can get hurt too. Find a nice comfy holster and don't get too worked up about printing. Most people will never notice unless it's hanging out. My wife is a skinny little thing and worries about it all the time. To prove most people don't have a clue, I carried my g19 with the extended mag around for a weekend. Didn't bother to tuck my shirt in, or pull it back down over the mag after getting out of the car. (Normally I keep a standard mag in it so it's not an issue of keeping up after my shirt) no one said anything or acted weird. Just goes to show how unaware people are. I'm a bit porky and normally wear a leatherman on my belt so that helps to break it up as well.
Keep them kids safe!

Congrats on taking the class. Have had mine since I turned 21. It's a big responsibility, but having one on me has changed situations where it may not have been good. Former job took me to some pretty nasty places, at bad times of the day /night. Had to draw a few times, never had to fire. Seems most don't want to mess with you if they know they can get hurt too. Find a nice comfy holster and don't get too worked up about printing. Most people will never notice unless it's hanging out. My wife is a skinny little thing and worries about it all the time. To prove most people don't have a clue, I carried my g19 with the extended mag around for a weekend. Didn't bother to tuck my shirt in, or pull it back down over the mag after getting out of the car. (Normally I keep a standard mag in it so it's not an issue of keeping up after my shirt) no one said anything or acted weird. Just goes to show how unaware people are. I'm a bit porky and normally wear a leatherman on my belt so that helps to break it up as well.
Keep them kids safe!
People really have no clue about who is packing and I think people forget how many folks carry. It’s funny cause a lot of guys I find out are packing wear untucked Hawaiian shirts.....if you are a crook, don’t rob a gas station if the other customers have untucked button down shirts lol.

The guy who taught the class had an untucked button down shirt and asked how many guns the audience thought he was carrying. Most people said “1” (you could see the bulge of large frame auto on his hip) but he was actually packing 6 guns including a long barrel .460!

As a whole, crooks look for easy targets: women, elderly, children, and weak looking guys. So if they are scanning for targets, just about everyone on this board is already dismissed. But doesn’t mean we won’t eventually find ourselves in a bad situation or need to defend someone else

I basically already knew everything about guns, gun safety, and carrying but here a couple things I took away from the class on the legal side are:

-If you are ever interviewed by police FOR ANY REASON, NEVER say anything without an attorney EVEN IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE INNOCENT.
As it says in Miranda, ANYTHING you say can be used against you.
-Any private business that has a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign has zero basis for enforcement. The only thing they can do is ask you to leave. If you do not leave, you may be cited for trespassing.
-The most frequent violation CCW holders commit is carrying in federal buildings as firearms are prohibited there. The most common place of violation....the post office!!
-You do not have the “duty to render aid” to someone who you have fired upon. In fact if you touch them at all you can actually get into more trouble.
-When you draw your pistol, the muzzle should be brought up immediately to point at the target and bring it up close to your body then extend your arms out once the sights have reached eye level. This was the one gun handing thing I didn’t know.
-An attacker in reasonably good physical shape can storm you and reach you before you can draw from a holster if they are closer than 26 feet. If you feel threatened for your life but the person is not an imminent threat, have your gun out. (But not pointing at them till they are an imminent threat.)
-You can get in serious trouble for simply pointing a gun at someone. Do not do this unless they are deemed to be an imminent threat.

Still trying to catch up on things and don't have time to post my pics, but, I will share:

- Thanks for the tire stories Steve ... I did haul a couple of loads of Oak to my Daughter a few weeks ago. As I was exiting the driveway of the home, I looked in my driver side mirror and saw my wheel was a bit wonky. Was relieved it was just loose lugs, tightened them and went on w/o incident! I think it could have ended much worse!

- Wife and I went on a brief bike ride early yesterday morning on a section of the rail trail we had not been on. Went past Greenhaven Prison and a high security MTA Canine training facility. It was almost like a wildlife tour ... a deer going parallel to us on the trail, a water snake on the path that had just eaten something, got very close to a muskrat and two greenhead mallards that were on the path, etc.

- We have two rescue dogs. My wife would get more, but I told her I only have two hands and it is not fair to leave anyone out!

Latest posts

Back