Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that's the beauty of being an American. I could buy a fully functioning military surplus tank and park it on my front lawn if I felt the need and no one would say a peep.
Kinda, the tank would be subject to its own set of regulations and issues for citizens ownership. Now if the main gun was "disabled" then yep, have at her. There is a caliber restriction were subject to. Would just be awesome to have an Abrams tank sitting in the front drive.

And that's the beauty of being an American. I could buy a fully functioning military surplus tank and park it on my front lawn if I felt the need and no one would say a peep.
Redneck!
:laughing:
I always liked that helicopter at the end of I-96 heading into Muskegon :rock:.

That's awesome, I like those heart shaped pieces.
How did you keep it flat. Most I've cut warped very fast and I just burned them.
I've cut a number of cookies from hollow trees and don't recall any warping. Might be they were already seasoned for the most part? I don't know.

This one was kinda "kiln dried" from the inside. The guy I got the firewood from had a fire that ended up burning 15 acres, mostly just his grass field and a tree line separating the field from the road. Among the trees was this large hollow cherry. It started burning on the inside and no matter how much water the fire department poured on it, the tree kept burning. They told him to call in a service to cut it down and he said he would do it himself. So, there he was, standing in what was now mud, cutting a burning tree, dropping it on the road while the firemen watched. I imagine it was quite a scene!

Last of the mainline scrounge. The mainline refers to the mainline railroad line that runs from the suburbs of Philadelphia, to the city itself.Very affluent and big $$ housing. I scrounge there,split, and re-sell to the same area.

Assuming this is some sort of oak?Heavy stuff....gave me a reason to try out the echo to Stihl bar adapter I just got too.AA754EB7-8351-433A-8984-3A6C107AA1AB.jpegD148FD92-5966-4D26-B3E7-749CE84D4C51.jpeg

I’m sure some of you guys are sitting on a fortune

4075d52efe63925a4034a2ea78ab4785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using see

Last of the mainline scrounge. The mainline refers to the mainline railroad line that runs from the suburbs of Philadelphia, to the city itself.Very affluent and big $$ housing. I scrounge there,split, and re-sell to the same area.

Assuming this is some sort of oak?Heavy stuff....gave me a reason to try out the echo to Stihl bar adapter I just got too.View attachment 908505View attachment 908506
I don't see oak there Ryan. Bark say ash but not quite sure. Unless it is bone dry, dead it will have some weight to it. Nice score!!!

If you need a hand getting yours going, let me know :).
Diagnosed the main issue back to the switch (mower would cut off after some amount of time and not come back on until it cooled down.) It said to replace the switch because it is non-serviceable. BAH! Someone put it together, so I can take it apart. I pried the tabs open, cleaned the contacts, and got it together (took several attempts to get the all loose parts and springs to stay put.) After I got it assembled I kicked myself for not using dielectric grease.

The connector was a bit melted so I'm guessing the resistance was high and it would drop voltage as it heated up. It still cut out several times while mowing yesterday, but turned back on when I cycled the switch so the clutch may be going also. Or possibly the springs in the switch are a bit weak and it loses contact momentarily. But I got the yard knocked down so no panic for the zero turn just yet.

Diagnosed the main issue back to the switch (mower would cut off after some amount of time and not come back on until it cooled down.).....
Just caught your post about your zero turn cutting out. Are you talking about the key starter switch? Mines been acting up also when it gets hot. I think my problem is the engine overheating due to some clogged cooling fins. Cleaned it out and so far so good, but it's good to know what to look at next if that doesn't fix the problem.

Just caught your post about your zero turn cutting out. Are you talking about the key starter switch? Mines been acting up also when it gets hot. I think my problem is the engine overheating due to some clogged cooling fins. Cleaned it out and so far so good, but it's good to know what to look at next if that doesn't fix the problem.
My issue is the mower deck on a John Deere 420. The switch engages a clutch on the front of the engine to turn the blades. The contacts were bit flaky inside the switch. Volt meter wasn't reading before I took it apart. Can probably see similar on ignition switch if that is the problem. I would also check the myriad of safety switches.

I was telling Brett that I may need him to sell me one of his zero turn mowers if I didn't get mine fixed soon!

Too hot for firewood for me today, so more goofing off. Went for a smooth surface and a semi-gloss varnish this time. I like some features of both finishes I've done, but I think I like this one more with the grain and the offsetting sap wood and heart wood. 20210523_150840.jpg
Be sure to use the AS discount at my new etsy store! :laughing:

Back