Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinch that dirty root wad off as you pick the mushroom or every bite you eat will be sandy and gritty. Sand is real hard to get out of the pores no matter how much you rinse and wash.
Yeah, the kids picked em. I soak them for an hour or so to make sure all the bugs come out as well. My wife really enjoys seeing the centipedes and spiders coming out of them!

Surely you didn't just find them? And you're killing off your patch by plucking them from the ground. Should cut off with a knife and leave the dirt in the ground.
Kids found them today. We're right along Lake Michigan so I usually find em the week before Memorial day. I used to look in late April and give up. Turns out that was way too early for here. The jack in the pulpits are just blooming now. We've had one day above 80 (yesterday, it was 55 today!) and 2 or 3 days in the 70s this spring. Looks like the warm up might last finally.

Can't let my 7 and 4 year old boys run around the woods with a knife yet. I was happy they found some! I cut them off and tap them on the ground when I find them.

This 122 year old very tight grain oak sits about 40" from the corner of our cabin in the mountains of PA.

IMG_9365.jpg

It carries much of the weight of the top on two largest limbs that hang over our cabin. This weekend was our Spring work detail. I cut up a stack of logs that were split and put into our firewood shed for next winter. But, we decided to remove this tree and three more smaller (two in the back corner of this picture, and another not in this picture). I always throw a line on any tree with any chance of raising mis-fall havoc. So this tree was roped off high, and tied off through a snatch block to an HD pick-up. Then I cut it and the truck pulled it down beside a brush pile we already had burning. One of my co-owners took this quick drone video:

Probably would have been better to not brush that tall thin tree on the way down. But I limbed this tree, others threw the branches right on our fire, and cut it into 8' logs to stack for future years firewood. We have had problems with firewood theft, so we only cut and split a generous year's worth at a time. We don't own much land around this cabin, so cutting our trees is not an optimal scrounging method here. But these threatening trees made for opportune scrounging.

A boat may be a bit faster, but you down under folk are pretty rough and tumble, so I'd bet you'll wrangle a crock or great white and traverse on the back of them. Lol.
I bet he just hooks up a long snorkel on a float and drives under, I mean over?

Went up for Forest Service chainsaw certification at 7,200 feet and ended up sleeping in the snow cat shed, because it snowed about 6 inches and was about twenty degrees. They usually have the training below 1,000 feet, but moved it up because it’s too hot at 1,000 feet in late May. Ha! No weather even happened down lower, they’re oblivious to it.

BE744BE5-1B55-45C2-9679-BBFD7A3004DD.jpeg

Crazy weather this weekend from hot as stink to cold and back to the middle where I like it. I briefly looked at the woodpile when my wife suggested that I need to get at it (she's right). Playing with my outboard won out. Picked up a '64 Johnson FD18E back in the winter. It was seized. Freed it up and have been working on it, new water pump, gear oil etc. Tried it out today on my little tinner and it worked great. Picked up a free weed whacker at the side of the road on the way home. Dumped out the gas which was inexplicably black. Poured in some fresh mix and some seafoam and it started and ran. Score! So, I did do some scrounging! Link is for the outboard if anyone digs old motors.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That was a cool experience nonetheless!

Yes, and I got three of my volunteers through their first chainsaw certification. This was my 5th, they’re every three years. We had very good instruction, and it’s interactive, we all learn from each other. The people recertifying Saturday were doing it with snow coming down, yesterday we had some sunshine and a lot of the snow melted. Now tomorrow is supposed to be 60 and sunny. Four women certified, out of fifty plus total. None are single, they volunteer with their husbands. For some of us it was three days of training because we had to do First Aid/CPR on Friday, there were 35 in that class. So this kicks off the OHV trail season, soon the snow melt in higher elevations will let us into those trails. Most of our trails are 8-10 thousand feet elevation.

Stopped in to buy a holster for my 9mm and came out with this cutie.
View attachment 908911
Sweet little guns, my wife has the original, I have the v2. If things weren't so crazy right now I'd trade hers in for another v2. Not superbly accurate at distance but it would do the job. Trigger is meh. But they hide so darn well. Make a great backup gun too.

Back