Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this. If that works best for you than keep doing it.
At our shop we follow factory procedures. The minimum I have seen from filter manufacturers or the OEMs is 3/4 turn after gasket contact. If I recall correctly a Porsche GT3 requires 1 1/2 turns after gasket contact. That's essentially a street legal race car with a very expensive engine. I definitely don't want to have a filter fall off or leak on a $150k car.
Most standard V6 engine replacement jobs land in the $4-5k range so we go by manufacturer specs. Just not worth it to risk it from a business standpoint.
Have a great night
Well, Gm recommends torque to 18ftlb on the oil filter. Only one I looked up. So if you are trying to say you are following factory recommendation, are you using a torque wrench to install new filters. And No you will never be allowed to work on any of my engines if you insist on overtightening the filter. Not trying to argue either, just pointing out your mistake. I did just look up Wix and they do recommend 3/4 turn after gasket contact. And you $150k car aint a pimple on the butt of the equipment I used to service and in 41 years I have never had a oil filter leak or come loose.

A long time ago I worked maintenance for a landscaping company. One day the owner asked me to do an oil change on the crew van, the screwdriver trick just ripped the filter apart. That’s how tight it was. I got a form setting stake and drilled holes in it to match the holes in the thicker part of the filter that screws onto the engine, then used bolts to make the connection. This gave me good leverage and it came right apart. The owner returned before I was done and was pissed, he acted like I was an idiot. He said just drive a screwdriver through it, I told him I did that and it just ripped the filter apart when I turned it, and that I think whoever put it on didn’t put oil on the gasket. Suddenly he felt like the idiot, because he didn’t know about that.

I think whoever put it on didn’t put oil on the gasket
This can cause major problems on seals of this sort.
I had a husky 555 that only had about 1/2 a tank ran thru it when I bought it, it had flippy caps on it and I thought for sure it was going to break when I was cranking on it as it was very tight/stuck. It came off and it was dry as could be. Thru the yrs I've seen that happen on oil filters too, many people don't know to oil them.

the screwdriver trick just ripped the filter apart
Yeah, I had the same experience one time so I was a bit skeptical of all this "just stick a screwdriver through it" talk making it sound so easy... by the time I got it off with the big channel locks there wasn't much to grab and I was getting nervous that it was going to be there forever.

Jeez I didn't mean to start anything [emoji1787]. What kind of two stroke oil do you guys think is the best? Lol [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
No problem! I'll just stick to posting about scrounging. I've read some of the oil threads and we don't need to start that here!

Rained hard for a few minutes late this afternoon so everything was wet, but I was able to get one load of poles and uglies in. Sorry, no wood projects tonight - I did score a couple of items this weekend on Craigslist that will be taking up some time this summer though.

Attachments

• 20210607_201543.jpg
    20210607_201543.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 11
Rained hard for a few minutes late this afternoon so everything was wet, but I was able to get one load of poles and uglies in. Sorry, no wood projects tonight - I did score a couple of items this weekend on Craigslist that will be taking up some time this summer though.
Do you have an indoor burner, or just the outdoor unit.

Someone's having fun.
Nice haul, I like white oak, it would be my choice if I didn't have all the black locust.
I’ll take red or white oak but I’d trade either for black locust!

On another note, why does this freaking site make you confirm action occasionally for a like!? It’s so stupid and annoying. One of the reasons I don’t get on here much anymore. The other site is much better.

One time, I had Valvoline change my oil because we had an extended period of ****** weather and I didn’t feel like laying in the slush. After they pimped me for $210 worth of “servicing” every fluid in my car, they over-tightened the oil filter terribly. I shredded the filter getting it off the next time and couldn’t even get the base off with a chisel and hammer hitting it counter clockwise. Ended up heating it with a torch till the gasket melted and it came right off then. Arghh.

Lately I had been having my truck serviced at the dealership where my soon to be ex works. $58 for synthetic oil change plus tire rotation and they would come to my office to grab the vehicle and return it. That was very convenient but unfortunately I can’t stomach to support that place anymore.

Howdy guys...haven’t been around much. Working through a lots of project plus playing musical houses with this divorce stuff...kids stay in the house, STBE and I rotate nights at home. She’s with her BF when I’m home, I’m at the cabin when she’s home. It’s not perfect but I guess it’s better for the kids.

My son has a big weed whipping job and the folks needed wood split as well so last night I spent about 3 1/2 hours splitting LARGE rounds of Norway and white pine. He has a 22t splitter that did a nice job both in vertical and horizontal. Have maybe 1/2 to 1/3 cord tonight. This stuff is on a hill so I’ll bring the 394 to noodle it rather than fighting the ~25” rounds.

Sure has been a range of emotions for the divorce ****. For those of you guys who have gone through it, I feel ya.

Mine sure would have been a lot easier to handle if she had been truthful about why she was leaving. But such is life. I’ll find a new gal soon enough. That’s really the last thing I need in my life. I have a great life and love is the only piece that’s missing. Great job, house and cabin that I love, awesome kids, volunteering, hobbies that I enjoy, and so on.

Well another round of no wood this week for me. Works been kicking my but now that the water park is open. Logged nearly 7 miles on my watch Sunday before 11:00. Seems I've had a bit of a falling out with the neighbor. Was supposed to go over and help load up some tires. Would have had to take my son with, let them know I'd be brining him with. And that's when the fight started. First it was my wife's fault, because she doesn't like my neighbors wife. Then it was too hot to have my boy up with me, then it was they knew my wife planned something to mess up our plans for me to come up and help. Sorry folks I can't help i forgot my wife and daughter were going to dance class, and I see no reason why my son couldn't come up and hang out. They blamed the heat, and I tried to reason with them that if he got hot, he could go sit in the truck in the ac for a wile. I had plenty with to drink so wasn't real worried. Well they ended up telling me I was a bad parent for letting my son be out in the heat, and they knew they shouldn't have even bothered calling me in the first place. I'm not gonna lie that turned my knob straight up to 10. First idk why my wife has to be friends with the neighbors wife, second how I take care of my kid is my business, he goes everywhere I do, and lastly telling me they shouldn't have called me in the first place. All the times I've gone up and helped with whatever they needed, literally dropped what I was doing and ran up, and thats how they want to act. I'm still pretty torqued up about it. I just don't understand people. Ive know them going on 7 years now and never had an issue like this. Just incredible.

Latest posts

Back