Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday afternoon I loaded up the 394 and went over to help the same folks. They are selling their place and needed some work done so they hired my son to do all the string trimming but this one is obviously was well out of his realm. Took almost 2 tanks to noodle up all of this giant Norway pine. For some reason the huge wolf spiders really love clinging to Norway pine! But the visible piles are split now and this back pile is all quartered or halved For whoever gets the place next. They’ll probably wanna hire us to split it anyway LOL. And by then it will be dryer now that it is quartered.

66A4D3F5-111A-4D9B-B5ED-17569C2D9655.jpeg3EB7030A-DC23-4E36-B650-C5F6BC79B218.jpegD4D3381E-4BA4-46CF-86FD-AF63B9587122.jpeg51FF361A-8C30-461C-B5C8-3F97404BBDBD.jpeg0000CA1F-EE95-4D0E-9EE2-5C16740E3F49.jpeg8D0CAB48-CEC1-4CDB-8277-952A7830987D.jpeg

For those who don’t know, the 394 belonged to Zogger. I swear I can hear him talking and laughing when I use it.
As a newbie on AS I never had the chance to interact with Zogger. I was confused when when I heard you guys talking about "Zogger wood". After you reported he had passed I went back and read through a few of the threads he was part of. I got the impression he was a kind, honest person who I would've enjoyed talking to.

A big saw like that definitely makes a big tree like that seem quite a bit smaller. I imagine running Zogger's saw feels pretty special. I get the same feeling every time I run my wife's grandpa's 026. I imagine all the wood he cut through the years and it feels good to continue the tradition.

Here’s a couple from the ride home last night.

Went from 85 to 65 degrees in no time.
That is a beautiful place. It definitely would help me deal with what you're dealing with. Keep on moving forward and stay positive.

Have a great day

Yesterday afternoon I loaded up the 394 and went over to help the same folks. They are selling their place and needed some work done so they hired my son to do all the string trimming but this one is obviously was well out of his realm. Took almost 2 tanks to noodle up all of this giant Norway pine. For some reason the huge wolf spiders really love clinging to Norway pine! But the visible piles are split now and this back pile is all quartered or halved For whoever gets the place next. They’ll probably wanna hire us to split it anyway LOL. And by then it will be dryer now that it is quartered.

View attachment 911408View attachment 911409View attachment 911410View attachment 911411View attachment 911413View attachment 911414
keep busy,, and stay strong...….

Got a group text this morning about a down tree blocking our private road. I replied that I was on it and it would be cleared in 30 minutes. So me and the saw and the wheelbarrow were off to the scene.

It was not just any tree, but "the" rope swing tree. It had a horizontal branch as large as the trunk and little else. The neighbor installed a 25' rope when his kids were young (they are all grown and moved out now) and my kids have enjoyed using it for the last 13 years as well. But, we've been expecting it to come down for a while and today was the day.
IMG_50511.jpg
A couple of neighbors were there to move the rounds so all I had to do was cut.
IMG_50521.jpg
And this is where the cowboy rides away...
20210609_105620.jpg

Got a group text this morning about a down tree blocking our private road. I replied that I was on it and it would be cleared in 30 minutes. So me and the saw and the wheelbarrow were off to the scene.

It was not just any tree, but "the" rope swing tree. It had a horizontal branch as large as the trunk and little else. The neighbor installed a 25' rope when his kids were young (they are all grown and moved out now) and my kids have enjoyed using it for the last 13 years as well. But, we've been expecting it to come down for a while and today was the day.
View attachment 911448
View attachment 911449
View attachment 911450
How did you divide up the wood? Or are your neighbours not firewood hoarders?

Ha! Haven't got that far yet. The neighbor where the tree fell had used an outdoor wood furnace in the past, but just uses the fireplace now. Actually the neighbors that moved the rounds have a fireplace also. Of the 5 properties only the 3 of us burn wood at all.

I figure the owner will have first dibs on it, but I will definitely take it if he doesn't.

Ha! Haven't got that far yet. The neighbor where the tree fell had used an outdoor wood furnace in the past, but just uses the fireplace now. Actually the neighbors that moved the rounds have a fireplace also. Of the 5 properties only the 3 of us burn wood at all.

I figure the owner will have first dibs on it, but I will definitely take it if he doesn't.

I think you should get at least three rounds as payment for your services... Ha.

View attachment 911448
View attachment 911449
View attachment 911450
That 441 is still alive :p.
Nice job, sure the neighbors appreciate it.

How did you divide up the wood? Or are your neighbours not firewood hoarders?
Bwahahaha!!! It's mine!

Neighbor has plenty from his barn clearing (plus 90° temperatures may have had an influence) so he asked if I wanted it. And you guys know that nobody has to ask any of us twice. Gee, good thing I already cut most of it to my preferred length... :innocent:

Back