Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fellas, let's be honest. All men have 'needs'. Sometimes we have periods of time where, for various reasons, those 'needs' are not met. After a while, things build up a bit and we start to become inclined to 'tend' to those 'needs'. Those of a certain 'disposition' sometimes then feel the need to post pictures on the internet of those 'needs' being 'tended to'. Others think that is a bit of a weird thing to do, but each to their own, I say.

Yes, I went scrounging this arvo after work.

This stem was the smaller of a bifurcated narrow leaf peppermint that fell over at Will's farm. I had already harvested the tops for the bonfire three weeks ago and I'm not one to take what I want and leave a mess behind so I went back today to clean up.

11th June 5.jpg

I gave the 241, 460 and Limby a bit of a run today. The poor old 460 (20in bar) is a bit of an orphan these days as by the time the 241 is out of its depth, the 661 is close to being required with the current bars. I should probably put the 25in bar from Limby on the 460 and get a longer bar for the 661 as I do cut bigger wood from time to time. I have a swag of 20in chains though that I don't really want to waste so I'm using the 460 where I can. That's Limby in the pic below so the base was more than 25in but it tapered very quickly.

11th June 1.jpg

11th June 2.jpg

I chucked most of the smaller bits in the ute and I'll take the trailer back to get the rest another day. There are a few poles that I cut that I'll tie on top of the trailer for next year's bonfire.

11th June 3.jpg

Nice sunset on the way home.

11th June 4.jpg

:)

Nice pics as usual Nate. I may have to take a trip to I-Dee-Ho to have you teach this old dog how to make them pretty felling cuts.:rock2: Did you ever get the bar stud fixed on the 462?
Thanks Steve. Sounds good, would be great to have you here anytime! :)
No not really. I ground out a groove and tried filling it with some epoxy putty I had but didn’t seem to want to stick. Cleaned it out and filled it with seal all, at least it’s not leaking bar oil now, I’ll probably sell it to chipper:p
Edit-not all my felling cuts look like that ;)

Well I have a small update with the neighbor issue. I got a call yesterday from then, a short apology and a request to stop up. Which I did. Helped him put on his high sides on the trailer. Nothing from this past weekend was mentioned. Almost like it never happened. I had to bring it up, as I was not happy about it, and they were being overly nice. Seemed to work things out for the most part. I made sure to let them know I was very busy between work and home projects, so not to expect much help from me, for the time being

And a question. I seem to have an excess of beech atm. I know it's just dandy for fire wood, but I wanted to know if anyone thinks it would make decent lumber for deck wood? And if so how to treat it. Seems my trailer could use some wood, I have 3 white oak trunks to mill, but it won't be enough to redo the entire deck. What's your thoughts?

And a question. I seem to have an excess of beech atm. I know it's just dandy for fire wood, but I wanted to know if anyone thinks it would make decent lumber for deck wood? And if so how to treat it. Seems my trailer could use some wood, I have 3 white oak trunks to mill, but it won't be enough to redo the entire deck. What's your thoughts?
I know nothing of the beech for that application, but white oak is great for trailers. If it were me I would use the white oak on the outside rows of the trailer and use the beech in the middle if it's a lawn maintenance type trailer. If it has a dovetail I would also try to use the white oak on that if you have enough.
If you need new fasteners to secure the boards, check with "Fastenal", you can get larger boxes for a "fair" price, but they do get quite costly.

Thanks Steve. Sounds good, would be great to have you here anytime! :)
No not really. I ground out a groove and tried filling it with some epoxy putty I had but didn’t seem to want to stick. Cleaned it out and filled it with seal all, at least it’s not leaking bar oil now, I’ll probably sell it to chipper:p
Edit-not all my felling cuts look like that ;)
Those dang stihls, loosing nuts and bolts and leaking bar oil :laughing:.
I ran one of the 346's last night, I was filling it and couldn't quite see how much oil I was adding until it was at the very top, I thought, good chance some of that will be on the shelf later. I'm actually going to do a bit more cutting with it today after I lean it out, it's running fat as can be(winter tune), too bad it's not a 550 lol.
Nice job dropping that one, doesn't look like she went far off the stump, a little sidehill action?

I know nothing of the beech for that application, but white oak is great for trailers. If it were me I would use the white oak on the outside rows of the trailer and use the beech in the middle if it's a lawn maintenance type trailer. If it has a dovetail I would also try to use the white oak on that if you have enough.
If you need new fasteners to secure the boards, check with "Fastenal", you can get larger boxes for a "fair" price, but they do get quite costly.
Yeah it's my deck over, the beaver tail needs the most attention... the ends of the boards at the ramp angle are rotting away. Made some funny sounds when I loaded up the expedition to take to my cousins for the engine swap this weekend. I like the beech in the middle of the deck idea. Keep the oak where tires normally drive. I think I'll be good on screws, my old man bough about 100lbs of them at auction years ago. Only thing that sucks about them is they are the pre drill type. The taper on the end won't drill the channel under the wood. Should work well enough.

Yeah it's my deck over, the beaver tail needs the most attention... the ends of the boards at the ramp angle are rotting away. Made some funny sounds when I loaded up the expedition to take to my cousins for the engine swap this weekend. I like the beech in the middle of the deck idea. Keep the oak where tires normally drive. I think I'll be good on screws, my old man bough about 100lbs of them at auction years ago. Only thing that sucks about them is they are the pre drill type. The taper on the end won't drill the channel under the wood. Should work well enough.
On my 20' aluminum trailer I used white oak for the 4 outside boards on the huge 1" dovetail lol. Then I put a 2x10or 12 (cant remember which) on the deck where I need to drive with screws since the trailer was covered with 5/4 board :nofunny:. It's an okay trailer, I've made it work, and it doesn't owe me anything; but it isn't a great trailer for working, more for hauling quads or a couple itv's, guess that's what I get for buying off an auction without looking at it before bidding:yes:. I'd like to trade it off or sell it and get a nice hd 20' steel trailer. I bought a well used tilt trailer I need to go thru before using much, but it had no problem hauling a 99 suburban parts truck last fall. I need to fix the dolly again and I want to flip it over and look at the pivot bolt as there is side to side play at the tongue. I'd hate to have the bolt break flying down the rd 75mph:crazy2:.
Sounds like doing the outsides and the dovetail will work great for you. When I priced the self tappers at 3.5 or 4" they were like $2 each for something rated for outdoor use :surprised3:.

I like this trailer it's a 20' deck over. Was originally a portable electric sign trailer. Held a huge TV screen of sorts. Built to be fairly light, but hold a lot of weight. I picked it up for $400.00 revamped it. The decking at the time cost around $600.00 for everything. Now that was back in 13 or 14. I just can't replace it with new for what I've got in it. It's even got torsion axles. Ride so darn nice it sucks. I did screw up on the last deck with board height. The fenders stick up about an inch higher then the deck. That will get fixed this time around. Only thing I will change about it is I need to add an extra crossmember in the beaver tail. It only has 2 and is 4 foot long. So I'll add one in the middle. Other then that its hauled a lot of logs, many a vehicle and come home from auctions with more junk then I care to admit. I would love to get some heavier axles under it, and bump the weight up to 14k. Right now it's 10k and I can haul about 7k legally on it..... may have had it over loaded once or three times....

I‘ve had Stihl saws 22 years without that happening, I haven’t had the wrong shade of orange saw. My uncle had one, I didn’t like it.
I was totally joking, I have more stihls than most hardcore stihl guys, and the 462 is currently my #1 recommendation for a 70cc saw(and I prefer huskys). My primary work saws are an ms200, ms261(ported), and a HT103 pole saw, then whatever flavor of 70cc saw needs to be run. Sometimes I'll swap out the 261 for a 550 if there is a lot of limbing.

Now that being said I've had, seen, and worked on plenty of stihls that have had muffler bolts loosen and break, when you use something mechanical breaking happens!

Just ran another tank thru the 346, ran like a champ in 90 degree weather, too bad I'm not running as well :baba: :lol: .
Dropped this black locust with a broke out top, used a dutchman to swing it a bit around the tree on the left, it you watch it in slow motion on YouTube you can see it stall at around 27 seconds when the dutchman closes up and come back to the left after clearing the tree. Fun stuff, but don't try this at home, oh wait:laughing: .

If you didn’t see what I posted as humor and light hearted, you have the WOOSH factor going on.
I didn't, that's why I usually put lol or something similar, I just don't want anyone upset over saw colors :laugh:. I like saws!

I often drop them right at me, pretty fun for me watching others run :crazy2: , it does look a bit scary if you haven't done it before.

Found something in my driveway yesterday.20210611_202756.jpg
I've been on the lookout for a newer tractor for the right price. Found this beauty with 60 hours. The NH 2120 will go up to our land and this will stay around home. That way I don't have to borrow and haul a 10k pound trailer 3 hours one way every time I have to use a tractor up north. My van can do it but it's a hassle and I don't want to fork out 50k plus for a one ton truck and a 10-12k lb trailer. (That's how I justified it to my wife)

Latest posts

Back