Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have a small update with the neighbor issue. I got a call yesterday from then, a short apology and a request to stop up. Which I did. Helped him put on his high sides on the trailer. Nothing from this past weekend was mentioned. Almost like it never happened. I had to bring it up, as I was not happy about it, and they were being overly nice. Seemed to work things out for the most part. I made sure to let them know I was very busy between work and home projects, so not to expect much help from me, for the time being

Good grief. That's almost as weird as them having a crack at you when you were helping them out the last time. "Sorry if you took offence the last time you came over to help us out in your own time, and out of the goodness of your own heart. Now, can you come over and help us out with this other thing"?

You're a good man, Sean. I'm glad about that last part as it is starting to look like they are taking advantage of your good nature. If it was me, I'm pretty sure by now that between work and home life (and scrounging), I just wouldn't have any time left over to help these people out.

No time at all.

Found something in my driveway yesterday.View attachment 911793
I've been on the lookout for a newer tractor for the right price. Found this beauty with 60 hours. The NH 2120 will go up to our land and this will stay around home. That way I don't have to borrow and haul a 10k pound trailer 3 hours one way every time I have to use a tractor up north. My van can do it but it's a hassle and I don't want to fork out 50k plus for a one ton truck and a 10-12k lb trailer. (That's how I justified it to my wife)
Congrats.
They can be hard to find right now depending on what you're looking for.
What type of transmission does that have.

Found something in my driveway yesterday.View attachment 911793
I've been on the lookout for a newer tractor for the right price. Found this beauty with 60 hours. The NH 2120 will go up to our land and this will stay around home. That way I don't have to borrow and haul a 10k pound trailer 3 hours one way every time I have to use a tractor up north. My van can do it but it's a hassle and I don't want to fork out 50k plus for a one ton truck and a 10-12k lb trailer. (That's how I justified it to my wife)

How come I never find these things in my driveway? Just unlucky I guess. :(

Congrats.
They can be hard to find right now depending on what you're looking for.
What type of transmission does that have.
Thanks. This one has been sitting at the dealer since February. About 3 weeks ago I stopped in and specced out a new L4701 HST. He tells me he has this 2 year old MX6000 HST with 60 hrs for less money than the 4701 would be. It has fluid in the rear tires, they performed the first maintenance service on it and we split the pallet forks. It was a fair deal, I didn't steal it but I didn't pay too much either.
How come I never find these things in my driveway? Just unlucky I guess. :(
Must not live in the right neighborhood!

Well fellas, let's be honest. All men have 'needs'. Sometimes we have periods of time where, for various reasons, those 'needs' are not met. After a while, things build up a bit and we start to become inclined to 'tend' to those 'needs'. Those of a certain 'disposition' sometimes then feel the need to post pictures on the internet of those 'needs' being 'tended to'. Others think that is a bit of a weird thing to do, but each to their own, I say.

Yes, I went scrounging this arvo after work.

This stem was the smaller of a bifurcated narrow leaf peppermint that fell over at Will's farm. I had already harvested the tops for the bonfire three weeks ago and I'm not one to take what I want and leave a mess behind so I went back today to clean up.

View attachment 911718

I gave the 241, 460 and Limby a bit of a run today. The poor old 460 (20in bar) is a bit of an orphan these days as by the time the 241 is out of its depth, the 661 is close to being required with the current bars. I should probably put the 25in bar from Limby on the 460 and get a longer bar for the 661 as I do cut bigger wood from time to time. I have a swag of 20in chains though that I don't really want to waste so I'm using the 460 where I can. That's Limby in the pic below so the base was more than 25in but it tapered very quickly.

View attachment 911702

View attachment 911703

I chucked most of the smaller bits in the ute and I'll take the trailer back to get the rest another day. There are a few poles that I cut that I'll tie on top of the trailer for next year's bonfire.

View attachment 911704

Nice sunset on the way home.

View attachment 911705

:)
Nice pics Cowboy. You live in a beautiful area. Australia definitely is on our bucket list of places to visit.

I'm definitely feeling the need to run a chainsaw again. It's been two weeks!:eek:

Glad to see you got some scrounging in. I had a 25" on my MS460. It pulls it well but the stock oiler is a bit stingy when bucking dry ash trees. I put a 20 on it and man that thing cuts and oils now. I do like the longer reach with the 25 though.

Have a great weekend

Thanks. This one has been sitting at the dealer since February. About 3 weeks ago I stopped in and specced out a new L4701 HST. He tells me he has this 2 year old MX6000 HST with 60 hrs for less money than the 4701 would be. It has fluid in the rear tires, they performed the first maintenance service on it and we split the pallet forks. It was a fair deal, I didn't steal it but I didn't pay too much either.

Must not live in the right neighborhood!
Nice score on the tractor Lee. :rock2: I'm Stihl partial to the blue tractor though. :laughing:

Nice score on the tractor Lee. :rock2: I'm Stihl partial to the blue tractor though. :laughing:
Thanks! I looked at the newer "New Holland" utility tractors. As I'm sure you know they're made by LS tractors which may or may not be good. I'm sure they're ok. Kubota is a known good manufacturer. The dealer is close which is important. I'd have loved to find another 2120 but parts are getting harder to find and they haven't dropped much in price for a low hour unit since I got mine so we decided to go the newer way. Plus this is just a much nicer, more refined machine to operate.

Nice pics Cowboy. You live in a beautiful area. Australia definitely is on our bucket list of places to visit.

I'm definitely feeling the need to run a chainsaw again. It's been two weeks!:eek:

Glad to see you got some scrounging in. I had a 25" on my MS460. It pulls it well but the stock oiler is a bit stingy when bucking dry ash trees. I put a 20 on it and man that thing cuts and oils now. I do like the longer reach with the 25 though.

Have a great weekend
So it's not just my ms460 that has a stingy oiler. It oils the 20" bar fine..seems like barely but the paint is still on the bar and the chain doesn't get hot. With the 25" bar the chain will get warm if I don't give it a break. Seems like Stihl could learn from husky or poulan, my other saws are snot rockets.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

There are threads on some of the forums on how to modify the oilers, but for the most part if you keep your chains sharp you will be OK.
Yeah it's fine with the stock oiler. Like you said keep it sharp and it's ok. It just gets hotter than I'd like it to.

So it's not just my ms460 that has a stingy oiler. It oils the 20" bar fine..seems like barely but the paint is still on the bar and the chain doesn't get hot. With the 25" bar the chain will get warm if I don't give it a break. Seems like Stihl could learn from husky or poulan, my other saws are snot rockets.

I think that's a pretty common complaint. I looked into getting the upgraded parts for my oiler. Would've been $50 for the internal parts or $110ish for a new high flow pump! Needless to say I'm going to live with it. It's never gotten hot enough to burn the paint but it just runs much hotter than I feel it should. My 254xp oils really nice. The chain is always oily and it runs much cooler.

To be fair, the chain I have for the 25" bar is a used one a friend gave me. It looks different than the Stihl chain on my 20" so I'm not sure what kind of chain it is. I gave it a few licks with the file and it cuts ok, just haven't needed the longer bar as much as I thought I might. I do have logzilla (over 30") ash log in my backyard that will get processed later this year.

Nice.
Are they letting you take some firewood home, or does he hoard it all.
Yes sir, well my main employer generously said I could take whatever I wanted home, video is actually cutting for another guy close to home, sometimes ya can’t get enough of timber falling, lol.

Yes sir, well my main employer generously said I could take whatever I wanted home, video is actually cutting for another guy close to home, sometimes ya can’t get enough of timber falling, lol.
That's awesome.
Yeah its fun dropping them for sure, and nothing here is over 100', I just wouldn't want to clean them all up :surprised3:.

There are threads on some of the forums on how to modify the oilers, but for the most part if you keep your chains sharp you will be OK.
There have been some threads on drilling larger oiler holes in the bar also, if I recall.

Philbert

And a question. I seem to have an excess of beech atm. I know it's just dandy for fire wood, but I wanted to know if anyone thinks it would make decent lumber for deck wood? And if so how to treat it. Seems my trailer could use some wood, I have 3 white oak trunks to mill, but it won't be enough to redo the entire deck. What's your thoughts?
LOTS of American Beech in my neighborhood too, and 99.9% of it gets turned into firewood. For lumber, it's heavy, hard to work and it has poor resistance to the elements, unlike white oak which holds up excellent outdoors. If you do decide to mill it into planks, used motor oil in liberal quantities is a good option for a sealant.

I went scrounging with Ross this morning in one of the local firewood collection areas. They had cut and pushed a number of trees over but then done a fuel reduction burn so many of those logs were charred on the outside. This one wasn't too bad.

13th June 2.jpg

It took maybe 10 mins to cut the log then about an hour and a half to split to quarters and lug back up the hill. It was damp, slippery and not that much fun. We did a face cord then pulled the pin.

13th June 1.jpg

We figured we'd save our strength for scrounging at Will's farm tomorrow, the wood should be better quality and easier to grab anyway (we delayed going to the farm to give the recent rain a bit more of a chance to run off). This stuff is stihl green and there's no way I'd burn it but Ross will burn anything. At least after tomorrow he'll have some dry stuff to burn as well.

Back